Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxer win Irish DTT, but pull out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

icdg wrote: »
    They have NO sub for DTT. Hence the name Freeview.

What about Top Up TV.. that is subscription.. are there different rates for that (Domestic/Commercial)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

pa990 wrote: »
    What about Top Up TV.. that is subscription.. are there different rates for that (Domestic/Commercial)

The Top-Up TV subscription service pretty-much no longer exists. Its' not marketed any more and only has three channels (UK Gold, UK Style, and Eurosport) remaining. The only conventional TV service now broadcast and marketed by Top-Up TV is Setanta Sports 1.

What is now marketed under the Top Up TV name is a video-on-demand service which works by downloading programmes to an STB overnight when some channels are off-air. This service is, for pretty obvious reasons, of little interest to commercial customers. Whether it is available to them anyway, I'm not sure. The domestic price for this is £9.99 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Can i clarify, in my stupidity but when DTT gets on the road, you can still get all the PSB free with a generic mpeg4 box without paying boxer? Just seems in the media etc that everyone will have to use boxer?

Yes all of the PSB service will be free without subscription. Settop boxes will come from boxer but generic boxes will possibly work (someone back me up with that point :) )

Currently the DTT Trail has been available on Digital Ready TVs, but only RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 are available to those outside the Trail.

RTE plan 2 extra PSB services, IFB Channel and OTV will also be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any MPEG4 DVb-t MHEG5 set box, PVR or Linux/Windows Media Center using USB or preferable PCI card (soon PCIe) will work free with no Boxer, for the Free PSB mux.

No-one needs to have Boxer or Boxer Set box. Not like Sky were even without a Sub a Sky box is needed for EPG etc.

The Generic made by lots of People MPEG4 + MHEG5 will do the full EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by watty: Generic made by lots of People MPEG4 + MHEG5

Watty, I googled the above and one of the results was this:

http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/draco-hdtv-6300-digital-terrestrial-receiver-freeview-p-1.html

It is an online shop based in New Zealand, selling satellite products and interestingly, DTT products for NZ's own DTT service. Looking down the specs of the featured DTT receiver (HD capable), it would appear to tick all the boxes (MPEG4, MHEG5 etc) for a receiver needed here. Cost is NZ$398. (About €189). Something similar to this would be needed to receive the PSB Mux here when it appears? Yes? (Assuming DVB-T). SD only boxes should be cheaper again.

Interestingly enough Dvb.org say HD DTT boxes are outselling SD boxes in some areas since the launch of NZ DTT on 2nd April 2008.

Link: http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/new_zealand/index.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Yes all of the PSB service will be free without subscription. Settop boxes will come from boxer but generic boxes will possibly work (someone back me up with that point :) )

Boxer in their submission to the BCI in May stated
    6.1.c.i. How will your proposed implementation facilitate interoperability between multiplexes, such that viewers may receive all available DTT programme services on a single receiving device (subject to obtaining the necessary authorisations.
    Boxer will co-operate with RTÉ to facilitate interoperability between their multiplex and the three commercial multiplexes that we will control. FTA channels on RTÉ’s devices will be viewable without the need for a CA Module or decoder card.

6.1.c.vi. Confirm the status of ownership and operability of any receiving equipment upon termination/ suspension of a subscription contract. (Please confirm whether or not the equipment will continue to receive FTA services in such an event.)
    Consumers will own their receiving equipment, either iDTV or STB. Termination/suspension of a subscription contract will default the receiver just to view FTA channels, namely RTÉ ONE, RTÉ TWO, TV3 and TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

I'm still having difficulty understanding the STB situation. Of the following statements, which are true and which are false?

1. Boxer will provide their own proprietary STB to subscribers.
    2. It will be free.
    3. Boxer subscribers will also be able to use non-boxer STBs if they meet the required spec - Mpeg-4, etc.
    4. These will be manufactured by Sony, Panasonic, etc. and will be available in high street shops.

Ta,
    Mark

1. There is no proprietary box. There is a CAM and viewing card on a regular catalogue item set box.
    Boxer will likely supply a box on same basis as Sky, i.e. minimum contract, you own box and box is subsidised. The viewing card will be boxer property. The CAM might be built in or a module for a CI slot. There may even be both kinds.

2. Unlikely. It might be subsidized to nearly free with a minimum contract. Without a Boxer contract you will pay full price of 40 Euro to 600 Euro depending on features.

3. Only if it has the required CAM. We don't know yet which CAM they are using. If it's a freely available CAM, you could buy CAM and ANY DTT box with MPEG4 & MHEG5. Or use a PC card. Depending on CAM, the Windows/Mac/Linux Media Centre solution might only need a reader for the Boxer card, or a CI and the Authorised or Compatible CAM + viewing card. Even a Neotion Pocket Duo in an MPEG2 TV, might work. We don't know yet if Neotion will make their Module compatible to whatever CAM that Boxer use.

4. Certainly. Humax, Tecnisat, etc. The French TNT boxes should be good, depending on CAM. If you only want FTA (RTE PSB Mux), then you don't need to worry about CAM, CI or viewing card.

For the FTA, ANY solution (CAM or not) that is DTT + MPEG4 + MHEG5 will work. (Box, USB, PCI card, PCie card, etc..). Even without MHEG5 you will still be able to tune manually (like a FTA box on Satellite), but get no guide beyond now/next probabily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

They will be using "Viaccess" encryption, this was stated in one me their submissions to the BCI.
    This is the same encryption that they use in Sweden, and plan to use in Demark.
    Demark will be mpeg4 as well.. So i reckon we will get same or similar stb.s to denmark, which i presume would be the same as the new ones being rolled out in Sweden for their new mpeg4 channels

Viaccess CAM (unlike Sky's) is widely available for a CI slot (like TV) and built in many paytv set-boxes. So then only viewing card needed.

Quite likely to be supported by Neotion Pocket Duo by a Software update or pre-loaded. Don't buy one for TV or Set-box unless Neotion confirmed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭bf1

Apologies if this is the incorrect topic to post this in but reading through http://www.bci.ie/DTT/boxer/licencea_section10_print.pdf

on page 7
    Boxer will provide free-of-charge to customers an MPEG-4 Plug & Play module to enable
    MPEG-2 integrated digital TVs (iDTVs) to receive the new MPEG-4 DTT service. This should
    mitigate any latent concern that the consumer electronics industry may have about the volume
    of iDTVs that have already been sold with MPEG-2 tuners.

That seems very nice of them :)

(moved from the other thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I think boxer may do well out of people stuck in a development where only one supplier is an option(allowed) to them. Well I suppose its will all be down to them getting a strong enough signal to not require an external aerial too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

DingDong wrote: »
    I think boxer may do well out of people stuck in a development where only one supplier is an option(allowed) to them. Well I suppose its will all be down to them getting a strong enough signal to not require an external aerial too.

It's a good point but are they offering enough? Assuming the channel line up is correct, people could have a far better selection on their supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It's a good point but are they offering enough? Assuming the channel line up is correct, people could have a far better selection on their supplier.
    The lineup looks better than some suppliers if I remember correctly. It may also be more reliable or better quality than what they have, one can only hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

DingDong wrote: »
    The lineup looks better than some suppliers if I remember correctly. It may also be more reliable or better quality than what they have, one can only hope
    That wouldn't be hard. I have seen some nightmares.

They'd surely be better than an IPTV provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That wouldn't be hard. I have seen some nightmares.

Of the three applications, Boxers proposed line up is the weakest by a long way in my view.

For €9.99 a month Boxer offers:
    RTE 1,2,TV3, RnaG , BBC1/2,UTV,Ch4,Eurosport,Discovery & BBC News - effectively €9.99 for Eurosport and Discovery

For €22.99 a month:
    Sky 1/News,Living,Film 4,E4,Disney,Setanta Ireland,MTV&Nick(Time share) and BBC Ireland and ITV Ireland
    - effectively €22.99 for Sky 1,Disney,Living,MTV,Setanta & Nick

Rip Off Ireland comes to mind and btw We are in a recession so I would say Boxer is fairly well doomed from the off unless they radically change their programming.

Anyone remember Denis O'Briens last TV venture....that failed.....

Infoanon wrote: »
    Of the three applications, Boxers proposed line up is the weakest by a long way in my view.

My comment made no reference to any of them. I was referring to the self imposed cable systems in some apartment blocks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is interesting to note that UPC now has an entry level Digital TV pack for €20 per month, €3 less then Boxers top package and offers 60 channels:

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitaltv/value/

The channel line-up is actually really good, it pretty much offers the 40 top rated TV channels (other 20 are radio), including all the channels offered by boxer.

So for €3 less then Boxer, you get 20 more channels then Boxer, including the likes of Dave, UKTV Gold, UKTV Drama, Paramount Comedy 1/2, Virgin 1, E4, More4, Sky 2, Bravo, etc.

It seems that Boxer are stuffed in cable areas even before they start.

Also some people are implying that you will be able to get Boxer €10 package + Sky Sports, without getting the €23 package. First of all is this true, I doubt it? and secondly, if it is true and proves popular I see absolutely no reason why Sky and UPC couldn't offer something similar.

Remember in the end Sky control the pricing of Sky sports, they won't undercut themselves.

As for apartment developments, the worst ones I've seen are currently replacing their current IPTV provider with UPC and Magnet, so that won't be much of a market.

Watty MMDS numbers of 186,000 users are interesting, if UPC can only get 186,000 users on MMDS with 100 channels, what hope does Boxer have with just 22 channels for the same price?

Really you don't need a MBA to see that this has very little chance of succeeding. Boxer on one side is going up against the two largest Pay-TV providers in Europe (Sky and UPC) in a very mature and relatively saturated digital TV market and over 100 channels on DTT FTA and FreeSat for free on the other side. I just don't see where Boxer can fit in to the market with their current lineup.

I did see a niche for Onevision, 33 channels for €10 looked impressive and might have worked, but Boxers offering is totally underwhelming.

• Advertisement

Also some people are implying that you will be able to get Boxer €10 package + Sky Sports, without getting the €23 package. First of all is this true, I doubt it? and secondly, if it is true and proves popular I see absolutely no reason why Sky and UPC couldn't offer something similar.

Sorry that was me asking the about the question of choice that you could drop channels when ever you didn't want them. I didn't get the answer because as you point out Sky and UPC don't offer this facility. I think most people would just go for the basic set of channels plus Sky Movies/Sports package, if they did. Some of the rubbish that the provide.

I look forward to Buzz TV on Boxer LOL.

How is Magnet doing in the market? As the newest entrant.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How is Magnet doing in the market? As the newest entrant.

They seem to be doing fine in their fibre enabled developments, but their services certainly seem to be technically competent. Their IPTV channel line-up pretty much matches UPC (unlike Smarts with no Sky, Discovery, etc.) and they offer 8m/8m BB at the moment with 25m/25m and 50m/50m BB supposedly launching later next month!!

MMDS is geographically limited, suffers from near LOS (2.5GHZ) and inherently only for the 38% of population* that can't get cable. So 186k is actually very impressive. It's over 50% penetration of non-cabled areas.

(* UPC claim about 62% of households are passed by cable).

On FTA satellite you get about 45 decent TV and 20 decent Radio. No subscription. Only the 4 Irish channels missing, which are free on DTT.

I shall try out the Lyngbox combo Sat/DTT PVR on ordinary people when DTT RTE turns on in Limerick. There is option for a 2nd tuner(s?). Only has one tuner of each as standard.

bk wrote: »
    They seem to be doing fine in their fibre enabled developments, but their services certainly seem to be technically competent. Their IPTV channel line-up pretty much matches UPC (unlike Smarts with no Sky, Discovery, etc.) and they offer 8m/8m BB at the moment with 25m/25m and 50m/50m BB supposedly launching later next month!!

Yep. They realised that for most people DSL based IPTV was going to be a poor experience so new TV customers are mostly in the limited new developments that have fibre. Maybe places like Adamstown. Also they upgraded from MPE2 to cutting edge Optibase MPEG4 encoders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bf1 wrote: »
    on page 7

Boxer will provide free-of-charge to customers

That seems very nice of them :)

You still have to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭bf1

Still I imagine if you are on the €9.99 package and still get it free you still make some sort of saving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

...so will additional TV3 channels go on Boxer since with new PSB's won't be enough on 1 RTÉ Mux. RTÉ should have got 2 at start, with 2 rather than 3 to Boxer and 2 maybe to someone else post ASO.

So that's 3 Expose ready to go? ie turn the 6 logo into a 3 and add the Expose brand ogo to it!

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0725/tv3.html

What's next? UTV Group? Eliminate this UK Irish thing and complicate matters for ITV? Could call it UTV3? Keep the news as is-all island channel, and a final way into some radio businesses that they have missed out on. Doughty Hanson have the financial muscle! (shareholder in setanta with ambitions for UK & Ireland)

Merge UTV news and TV3 newscasters into hour long programme and add use ITN news bulletin for international news? Simplifies overspill and programme rights conflicts, gives a merged UTV3 a UK regional listing of Irish ads reach on Freeview/Freesat, all Ireland ad reach. Makes sense too!

scath wrote: »
    ...so will additional TV3 channels go on Boxer since with new PSB's won't be enough on 1 RTÉ Mux. RTÉ should have got 2 at start, with 2 rather than 3 to Boxer and 2 maybe to someone else post ASO.

So that's 3 Expose ready to go? ie turn the 6 logo into a 3 and add the Expose brand ogo to it!

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0725/tv3.html

What's next? UTV Group? Eliminate this UK Irish thing and complicate matters for ITV? Could call it UTV3? Keep the news as is-all island channel, and a final way into some radio businesses that they have missed out on. Doughty Hanson have the financial muscle! (shareholder in setanta with ambitions for UK & Ireland)

Merge UTV news and TV3 newscasters into hour long programme and add use ITN news bulletin for international news.
    I'd seriously think it would be the other way round if it were to happen, i.e. UTV buying out TV3.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd seriously think it would be the other way round if it were to happen, i.e. UTV buying out TV3.

Nope..TV3 is owned by a large European iventure capital House, one of the largest in Europe. UTV plc would be dwarfed by the scale of Doughty Hanson & Co, TV3s owners and outbid UTV for TV3 in 2006. Any more acquisitions by UTV would increase its debt ratio.

See also: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0726/1217013246056.html and http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tv3-owner-plans-irishuk-media-empire-78372.html back in 2006. TVC, another company have acquired 15% in UTV recently and is reported to be undervalued. Due to its TV suffering from weaknesses in ITVs ad revenues it is vulnerable to takeovers. Also TV3 have bidded for several radio licenses and failed to win any. UTV has many. Resolves programme rights issues and a potential competitor and combined audience reach improvement

Nope..TV3 is owned by a large European iventure capital House, one of the largest in Europe. UTV plc would be dwarfed by the scale of Doughty Hanson & Co, TV3s owners and outbid UTV for TV3 in 2006. Any more acquisitions by UTV would increase its debt ratio.

UTV Plc could be bought through TV3 by the Venture Capital House but I think that his is unlikely. I cann't see TV3 buying UTV, UTV where orginal TV3 backers but pull out at the last miniute. UTV are a very strong company with many investments in the media sector. They own serveral Irish and British radio stations and provide Broadband in Ireland. Through TV3 the Venture Capital House own C6 and part of Setanta but at the end of the day I don't think a UTV buyout very likely by Dogherty Hanson through TV3.

Due to its TV suffering from weaknesses in ITVs ad revenues it is vulnerable to takeovers.

They have add revenues from the republic. UTV did also try to buyout TV3 when it was sold in 2006 AFAIK.

Also the BCI has to agree to this takeover, and renew TV3 licence (which they will, but I live in hope).

I can see C6 becoming 3Xpose and available on the PBS mux, unless boxer give them a free slot on their service.

PBS mux has ten channels so the line up of free channels is looking like so?

1. RTE 1
    2. RTE 2
    3. TV3
    4. TG4
    5. RTE 3
    6. 3Xpose (currently C6)
    7. IFB Channel
    8. OTV
    9. RTE 1 +1
    10. 3TODAY ( :( )

Most of revenues for UTV come through the ITV network relationship with some ROI ad revenues.

Such an acquisition would resolve programming conflicts by merging both. It would also be spectrum efficient. I don't think the BCI would have to approve it. Ofcom in fact would have to. It would be a straight case of one company buying another, and its proposals for same. So I think it would be quiet straightforward. How unionist viewers would percieve ownership by a percieved ROI operation is the question. But since Doughty Hanson aren't really Irish but European, mightn't be a problem. Certainly using both brand names would make sense.

Is it 10 channels max? RTÉ recommended 8 per mux. What about Aertel and the RTÉ Radio stations? Was 1 mux to RTÉ the right thing, instead of giving it 2 now, and have 2 more muxes available post ASO to the commercial operator or competitor commercial operator? Yea agree on the likely rebrand of C6. I think your line-up is the most likely assuming Radio and Aertel still have space. If not then the BCI will probably insist that these go on Boxer, FTA temporarily with the possibility that they would go on RTÉ mux 2 post ASO. I wonder will there be use of the Freeview name here officially for FTA channels be they on Boxer or not to avoid confusion for consumers. Might we see two stickers for DTT equipment:Boxer compliant ie Saorféachana+Boxer?

• Advertisement

UTV have about 30,000,000 in revenue from the republic. I don't know how much ITV give to UTV or how much UTV make in the north or how much UTV pay for the franchise.

If UTV was removed from TV Set many would expect ITV to replace it even though it would still have the same shows as TV3.

BCI and the competition authority would have to take a look any takeover bid made to UTV by the TV3 owners since UTV own many local radio stations in the republic.

Anyway I cann't see it happening, I think TV3 should start focusing on Programming then trying to get every licence and tv service available to them.

10 is the max AFAIK suggested in the press anyway that Boxer could have 30 channels on the 3 commerical muxs.

I don't see the point in wasting the DTT spectrum on Radio unless this is just a fact of DTT. DAB for radio.

Also one of the commerical muxs should be FTA for viewers let the broadcasters pay for the spectrum. RTENL V Boxer for TV stations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

I am not sure whether the contract they will sign with the bci will allow a change of channel line up or not, but to be successful in my opionion boxer really needs to have at least the channel line up of one visions application ie. around 30 channels and then the option of sky sports 1 2 and 3 for 24.99. boxer dont even say they will have sky sports 1 2 or 3. they just say 3 sports channels which could be setanta 1 plus sky sports 1 or vice versa.
    anyway as has been said here previoulsy the only people willing to pay 9.99 will be those that dont realise what they can get with upc or sky .
    I would love to see the scoring matrix for all 3 applicants (which by the way wont be available from the BCI due to commerical sensitivies that great line thats used).

Boxer have only spoken to the broadcaster on their line up, they did some research to see who would be interested etc

Boxer have not got any agreements with anyone in realation to their line up. I am sure the BCI will be flexible to let them have a different line up then suggested.

However I cann't see Boxer/communicorp ever owning a TV station in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

UTV Plc could be bought through TV3 by the Venture Capital House but I think that his is unlikely. I cann't see TV3 buying UTV, UTV where orginal TV3 backers but pull out at the last miniute. UTV are a very strong company with many investments in the media sector. They own serveral Irish and British radio stations and provide Broadband in Ireland. Through TV3 the Venture Capital House own C6 and part of Setanta but at the end of the day I don't think a UTV buyout very likely by Dogherty Hanson through TV3.

They have add revenues from the republic. UTV did also try to buyout TV3 when it was sold in 2006 AFAIK.

Also the BCI has to agree to this takeover, and renew TV3 licence (which they will, but I live in hope).

I can see C6 becoming 3Xpose and available on the PBS mux, unless boxer give them a free slot on their service.

PBS mux has ten channels so the line up of free channels is looking like so?

1. RTE 1
    2. RTE 2
    3. TV3
    4. TG4
    5. RTE 3
    6. 3Xpose (currently C6)
    7. IFB Channel
    8. OTV
    9. RTE 1 +1
    10. 3TODAY ( :( )

Will there be a hd channel on the public mux anytime soon? Or was that only during the trial? One hd channel would be preferable to 4 or 5 new sd channels showing crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

PBS mux has ten channels so the line up of free channels is looking like so ?

1. RTE 1
    2. RTE 2
    3. TV3
    4. TG4

7. IFB Channel
    8. OTV

All the others are "IMOs"!

Tonio wrote: »
    Will there be a hd channel on the public mux anytime soon? Or was that only during the trial? One hd channel would be preferable to 4 or 5 new sd channels showing crap!

AFAICS Irish DTT had 2 possible avenues of being successful. One was the channel line-up from OneVision, which at €10 per month, offered viewers substantially better value than equivalent offerings from Sky or UPC. The blockheads in the BCI went for Boxer instead.

The second thing it had going for it, that MPEG4 technology supports HD at reasonable bitrates, a major draw for those with large TVs/home cinemas/projectors etc. The HD coverage of the Leinster finals during the trial was a good example. And will we get to see anything in HD when DTT goes live? Will we f*ck.

All the others are "IMOs"!

IMO that C6 will be part of the PSB mux, or not on DTT at all, TV3 could fork out the money to RTENL for C6 to be part of the PSB but I assume that this would come with some additional requirements to be placed on C6.

However it is RTE's intention to have RTE 1+1 and RTE3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

You wouldn't happen to have directions to the road to hell? ;)

I find it a real pity that RTE aren't going to do a 24 hour rolling news service. It is the one thing we are really missing here in Ireland. It wouldn't need to be anything fancy like BBC and Sky News. Just perhaps a 15 to 30 minute news broadcast recorded every 3 or 4 hours and then repeated over and over again, perhaps with some international news mixed in from Euronews, etc.

As it is, I see RTE already have the following news broadcasts on Mondays:
    - 12:45
    - 17:15 (Nuacht)
    - 18:01
    - 18:30 (Nationwide)
    - 21:00
    - 23:20 (on RTE 2)

So it wouldn't be that hard, perhaps just two more early morning broadcasts at 7:00 and 9:00 and I notice that RTE already show Euronews at night.

Perhaps OTV might end up being something like this.

Zaphod wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have directions to the road to hell? ;)

It is very easy. Open google maps and select the directions tab. Type your location in one box and Youghal into the other.

There is one. RTÉ News Now currently online. The intention is to put it mobile networks as a mobile TV news service. It is basically the existing news bulletins, with break into Oireachtas proceedings for PMQs etc. I would expect there's intention to put it on DTT. I agree that a 24 hour news channel is critical. In my opinion they could partner with ITN and make it a pan Anglo Irish channel.RTÉ are a shareholder in Euronews and ITN owns 50%v of it.

TV3 Today is a similar idea. I think what you could see is perhaps RTÉ-ITN partnered and TV3 and France 24 partnered both with documentaries. With RTE as partners it could offer ITN a way back into UK news to take on Sky. No Irish broadcaster can afford highly expensive international correspondents given that news is loss making, even for Sky. I think like the UK the Dept of Foreign Affairs should help with a grant. Because it will sell Ireland to the world. Business News from the ISEQ could be beefed up. So this is the best option of partnering and ad revenue split both ways. See: http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html?news

OTV will feature European Paliament proceedings. I think they'll have to give more slots to OTV. But problem is only 1 mux to RTÉ pre ASO not a 2nd. OTV will need a 2nd channel, one for Dáil one for Seanad and a 3rd for European Union TV, joint venture OTV-European by Satellite ie OTV as local agent organising carriage with RTÉ. In my view OTV itself should instead cover non EU ie UN and other parliaments and let an EU TV cover the European Parliament. Euroscepticism underlines the need to see what MEPs etc are doing for us like OTV will show us.
    bk wrote: »
    I find it a real pity that RTE aren't going to do a 24 hour rolling news service. It is the one thing we are really missing here in Ireland. It wouldn't need to be anything fancy like BBC and Sky News. Just perhaps a 15 to 30 minute news broadcast recorded every 3 or 4 hours and then repeated over and over again, perhaps with some international news mixed in from Euronews, etc.

As it is, I see RTE already have the following news broadcasts on Mondays:
    - 12:45
    - 17:15 (Nuacht)
    - 18:01
    - 18:30 (Nationwide)
    - 21:00
    - 23:20 (on RTE 2)

So it wouldn't be that hard, perhaps just two more early morning broadcasts at 7:00 and 9:00 and I notice that RTE already show Euronews at night.

Perhaps OTV might end up being something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JanusGeminius

Do we really need a Timeshift of RTE 1 though? I don't think we do as It's easy enough to see programmes at any time these days with PVRs, I don't see the need for something that's redundant technology.

And on the subject of RTE3, they can barely produce enough content for the main two, why another? And this also cuts into funding, why do RTE need to spend half their budget on American imports, it would be a better use of money to convince all the British channels to broadcast into Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/prepare-for-new-tv-era-that-will--cost-you-more-1441809.html

good article today and the writer seems to know his facts about it. It hammers home the fact that 10% of people will not be able to receive rte tg4 and tv4 without subscribing to sky due to lack of signal. this is a disgrace that the government seems not prepared to tackle or fund by a ftv card system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DTTfan

Boxer have only spoken to the broadcaster on their line up, they did some research to see who would be interested etc

Boxer have not got any agreements with anyone in realation to their line up. I am sure the BCI will be flexible to let them have a different line up then suggested.

However I cann't see Boxer/communicorp ever owning a TV station in Ireland.

Boxer Dtt have no intention of ever owning or starting a commercial TV station, and communicorp know the risks involved in doing this, I think the main strat behind their application and winning is that they were not directly involved in TV.

The news articles today all outline now the problems with RTnl not being able to provide the transmitters quick enough, even the ones out there now will only be able to transmit to a small % of the pop. I am sure between the BCI and BoxerDtt, the pressure will be put on them to roll out, the quicker they do the quicker they will get " their rent" from Boxer.

There always seems to be a thorn somewhere in this country when some legislation or plan is put in place. Perhaps they could finialise the whole thing alongside the lisbon part 2 vote!

Do we really need a Timeshift of RTE 1 though? I don't think we do as It's easy enough to see programmes at any time these days with PVRs, I don't see the need for something that's redundant technology.

Firstly I am just saying what I know, RTE want a time shift channel. I don't.

I would like RTE to provide the following channels: -

1. RTE ONE (As Is)
    2. RTE TWO (New morning schedule e.g. TTV)
    3. RTE THREE (With THE DEN in the morning and afternoon) Evening would be RTE ONEs and RTE TWOs current late night schedules in prime time check them out to see what I mean)
    4. RTE FOUR (With OTV, EuroNews and EU Parliment dedates, evening would be the suggest RTE THREE but with repeats of newer docs and arts programming from RTE ONE and TWO).
    5. RTE NEWS & SPORT HD (including a mix of HD programming from TV3 and TG4 i.e. Sport).

Then: -

6. TV3
    7. TG4
    8. IFB Channel ??????

I am not overly happy with the idea of 2 extra PSB services when their is only one PSB Mux plus TV3 in there as well. RTE NL's mux is already over crowed and then they also have to provide Radio on TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

scath wrote: »
    There is one. RTÉ News Now currently online. The intention is to put it mobile networks as a mobile TV news service. It is basically the existing news bulletins, with break into Oireachtas proceedings for PMQs etc. I would expect there's intention to put it on DTT. I agree that a 24 hour news channel is critical. In my opinion they could partner with ITN and make it a pan Anglo Irish channel.RTÉ are a shareholder in Euronews and ITN owns 50%v of it.

TV3 Today is a similar idea. I think what you could see is perhaps RTÉ-ITN partnered and TV3 and France 24 partnered both with documentaries. With RTE as partners it could offer ITN a way back into UK news to take on Sky. No Irish broadcaster can afford highly expensive international correspondents given that news is loss making, even for Sky. I think like the UK the Dept of Foreign Affairs should help with a grant. Because it will sell Ireland to the world. Business News from the ISEQ could be beefed up. So this is the best option of partnering and ad revenue split both ways. See: http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html?news

It's pure fantasy to suggest that ITN will come back into the rolling news market at all, especially not just to team up with RTÉ - but even if it was a possibility I don't see the point in having RTÉ involved in a 24 news station that is dominated by UK content (which it would have to be to make it attractive to ITN, were they looking to compete with Sky again.).

The News Now service, tweaked to include some new content and perhaps some Intl. news too, is about as much as is needed for an Irish news service. RTÉ already have correspondents in critical locations like the US, Brussels, the UK, Asia, Mid East etc. so that wouldn't be the real issue in creating any kind of news channel.
    OTV will feature European Paliament proceedings. I think they'll have to give more slots to OTV. But problem is only 1 mux to RTÉ pre ASO not a 2nd. OTV will need a 2nd channel, one for Dáil one for Seanad and a 3rd for European Union TV, joint venture OTV-European by Satellite ie OTV as local agent organising carriage with RTÉ. In my view OTV itself should instead cover non EU ie UN and other parliaments and let an EU TV cover the European Parliament. Euroscepticism underlines the need to see what MEPs etc are doing for us like OTV will show us.

There's no need to have two separate channels for the Dáil and Seanad - it would be dead air most of the time if you did. Look at how the BBC work their Parliament channel - live coverage of the Commons, full coverage of the Lords. In other words sweet f-all happens in the upper house (which is the same here) so it can be shown in its entirety during the evening or during the gaps in activity in the lower house (which there's plenty of here).

And on the subject of RTE3, they can barely produce enough content for the main two, why another? And this also cuts into funding, why do RTE need to spend half their budget on American imports, it would be a better use of money to convince all the British channels to broadcast into Ireland.

+1
    Not enough PVRs yet. In long term +1 channels are dead. Your PVR will like Tivo automatically record something logged as normally watched.

RTE3
    Classic multi-channel program fragmentation. There are maybe less UK & Irish programs getting produced than in 1979. Less good ones. There is really only enough TV for 4 to 6 good channels if you ruled out repeats, rubbish quiz/reality TV and US imports, and enough Imports for one channel (TV 3 or Sky 1 is evidence?)

British TV
    Even before Digital Satellite BBC/ITV FTA, 75% of households had ITV. British TV has been watched since before 1962 RTE. All the main UK channels are now free on Satellite, so the 38% that can't get UPC can get them.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/prepare-for-new-tv-era-that-will--cost-you-more-1441809.html

good article today and the writer seems to know his facts about it. It hammers home the fact that 10% of people will not be able to receive rte tg4 and tv4 without subscribing to sky due to lack of signal. this is a disgrace that the government seems not prepared to tackle or fund by a ftv card system.

Could be closer to 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where is all this sh**e about people losing their UK overspill coverage coming from?? There's plenty enough in the border area and in Wexford who can get Freeview as it stands?!

It's kinda hard to ignore the coverage boost that 16dB or thereabouts will bring.

I've only just read an article in the Sunday Times printing similar drivel.

And surely one or two of these esteemed journalists have heard about the FTA satellite kits and cancelled sky subscriptions which thousands are already using to watch free UK channels??

Watty, where are these >600,000 people living who will be unable to receive service from any DTT transmitter? The coverage maps are based on 61dBuV/m field strength, which I think is the minimum needed but only if it's a contract aerial being used?? A proper aerial setup would drastically reduce those numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    Could be closer to 20%

Hmm, dunno if it will be quite that high .

There is a programmed deficit of about 140 transmitters, they propose to build 40 and we need perhaps 180 to get 100% Universal coverage or 120 to get 99% coverage ..without forcing householders to install massive aerials costing a fortune.

We went over this ages back around this page of this thread below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56470464&highlight=coverage#post56470464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

watty wrote: »
    RTE3
    Classic multi-channel program fragmentation. There are maybe less UK & Irish programs getting produced than in 1979. Less good ones. There is really only enough TV for 4 to 6 good channels if you ruled out repeats, rubbish quiz/reality TV and US imports, and enough Imports for one channel (TV 3 or Sky 1 is evidence?)

Not all US imports are bad. I for one much prefer watching Desperate Housewives on RTÉ than on Channel 4. The scripted ones at the very least are usually good.

The TV3 ones are the worst - so many are simulcasted with ITV. It may as well operate like affiliates do to ABC, Fox, CBS etc. in the US. That's what has me the most worried about C6's future. I like C6. I hate TV3. I don't see how it could possibly turn out well.

But on the subject of Boxer, I think BCI really needs to put a leash on the way they're gonna promote it. The way they seem to plan to phrase their offering suggests RTÉ won't be free (as evidenced by the amount of people asking here "Will RTÉ be free?"). They should be barred from advertising RTÉ as part of their offer - its not part of their service, its RTÉ's service which their boxes just happen to pick up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement