Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxer win Irish DTT, but pull out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JanusGeminius

watty wrote: »
    +1
    Not enough PVRs yet. In long term +1 channels are dead. Your PVR will like Tivo automatically record something logged as normally watched.

RTE3
    Classic multi-channel program fragmentation. There are maybe less UK & Irish programs getting produced than in 1979. Less good ones. There is really only enough TV for 4 to 6 good channels if you ruled out repeats, rubbish quiz/reality TV and US imports, and enough Imports for one channel (TV 3 or Sky 1 is evidence?)

British TV
    Even before Digital Satellite BBC/ITV FTA, 75% of households had ITV. British TV has been watched since before 1962 RTE. All the main UK channels are now free on Satellite, so the 38% that can't get UPC can get them.

Was thinking about the restrictions on C4's programming and Fives current absence. If they were available unrestricted with a few others like ITV being on the Sky EPG there would be little need for RTE to waste licence payers money on American imports.

With RTE3 I think BBC Three is the obvious example in that it broadcasts only half the day yet is still 80% repeats. I see no reason to waste money and DTT space on that kind of service.

While PVRs may not be widespread enough yet I still don't see why investment should be made into something that is going to disappear when PVRs become widespread, and with Sky's offers and the lower of Third party kit prices it won't be more than 10 years before most homes will be PVR capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Was thinking about the restrictions on C4's programming and Fives current absence. If they were available unrestricted with a few others like ITV being on the Sky EPG there would be little need for RTE to waste licence payers money on American imports.

RTE spend about 20,000,000 each year on imports (11,000 hours), this earned back in advertising revenue (2 fold est.) and I some don't think RTE actually use the Licence Fee for Imports, in fact these imports proable provide a profit to RTE helping them to produce more programming.

I would rather RTE 3 and 4 to plus one services, BBC have it right with BBC3 and 4 providing repeats at different times rather then the following hour.

I was reading an article after the launch of C4+1 which suggested that any plus one channels should really be the same schedule but the next day. They suggested that if a viewer is talking to someone the next day about one of C4s shows that they had missed, it would be more suitable to repeat the show the next day so that they could catch the show then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

While PVRs may not be widespread enough yet I still don't see why investment should be made into something that is going to disappear when PVRs become widespread, and with Sky's offers and the lower of Third party kit prices it won't be more than 10 years before most homes will be PVR capable.

Maybe, but don't forget this is RTÉ setting it up. RTÉ are already equipped to run multiple channels. It's hardly going to cost a huge amount to set up (I'm guessing). They have to switch to digital anyway. I doubt this adds any significant cost.

Also just thinking, I'm not so sure TV3 will change the name of C6. I seem to be in the core demographic for C6, and most people I know have a fairly good opinion of C6, but a fairly low one of TV3. Also the fact that 6 is 3+3 or 3x2 could be just as useful for advertising. The fact that it has a channel space on UPC appropriate to its number is also a reason to keep the name (or at least number). Maybe they'd change it to TV6 or something. But I think it would be a misstep to make it "3 something".

And I agree a shuffled RTÉ 1 would be preferrable to a timeshift. I think they should instead create RTÉ Four. Then they should spread out first-showings over the channels (e.g. by genre - the way C6 spreads over the week). Then fill in the gaps with repeats from other RTÉ channels.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTE spend about 20,000,000 each year on imports (11,000 hours), this earned back in advertising revenue (2 fold est.) and I some don't think RTE actually use the Licence Fee for Imports, in fact these imports proable provide a profit to RTE helping them to produce more programming.

Can you provide a source for this '2 fold' claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hmm, dunno if it will be quite that high .

There is a programmed deficit of about 140 transmitters, they propose to build 40 and we need perhaps 180 to get 100% Universal coverage or 120 to get 99% coverage ..without forcing householders to install massive aerials costing a fortune.

We went over this ages back around this page of this thread below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56470464&highlight=coverage#post56470464

Depends how soon and where the money is coming from for more than the initial 13 RTE sites.

• Advertisement

Can you provide a source for this '2 fold' claim?

I cannot. But TV3 earn 63,000,000 a year in advertising revenue, spending 6.3million on Salaries (see Irish Examiner), and while I don't have the amount of money the spend on Import I can only suggest that the spend less then 20,000,000 on their imports since they have requirments to provide 25% of Irish programming in the schedule 11,000 hours = 30hours per day. TV3 does not broadcast for 24per day. So TV3 are earning a huge amount from imports.

But then I did say that my 2 fold claim is an estimate. This estimate is taking into count what TV3 and RTE earn each year. See

http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=164
    http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/annual_report07_english.pdf

For futher information and make up your own mind.

But as I said its only an estimate.

I cannot. But TV3 earn 63,000,000 a year in advertising revenue, spending 6.3million on Salaries (see Irish Examiner), and while I don't have the amount of money the spend on Import I can only suggest that the spend less then 20,000,000 on their imports since they have requirments to provide 25% of Irish programming in the schedule 11,000 hours = 30hours per day. TV3 does not broadcast for 24per day. So TV3 are earning a huge amount from imports.

But then I did say that my 2 fold claim is an estimate. This estimate is taking into count what TV3 and RTE earn each year. See

http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=164
    http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/annual_report07_english.pdf

For futher information and make up your own mind.

But as I said its only an estimate.

Unless you can prove this 20,000,000 and '2 fold' claim all this is pointless.

I could say anything I want, but If I haven't got proof then I'm not right am I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why is it pointless even if he cannot prove it ( and I suspect he is close)
    I could say anything I want, but If I haven't got proof then I'm not right am I?

Ever heard of educated guesses, you are entitled to one of them too :D

duty_calls.png

I suspect pinched from http://xkcd.com/
    (Thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cas2007

watty nice picture lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

I would suspect Elmo is not far from the mark as well and having seen quite a good few of his posts over the years I am on here (6) he dosent tend to post spurious rubbish.

Only sometimes rubbish. But then it's entertaining. I think this time Elmo is close.

I hope Elmos fanboy is not BrianD being very naughty :p

I hope Elmos fanboy is not BrianD being very naughty

What now??????

Thanks everyone for backing me up but it is only an educated guess and JanusGeminius doesn't have to take it for fact, I did say it was an estimate and I did try to back that estimate up.

duty_calls.png

I suspect pinched from http://xkcd.com/
    (Thanks)

Funny.
    I would suspect Elmo is not far from the mark as well and having seen quite a good few of his posts over the years I am on here (6) he dosent tend to post spurious rubbish.

But Seriously, you can't really post something based on facts and figures if you are guessing on those facts and figures. I could say that 10,000 people visit my local Indian every year, doesn't make it right. Estimation is nothing but useless rubbish, you need to deal in hard, verifiable facts.

But Seriously, you can't really post something based on facts and figures if you are guessing on those facts and figures. I could say that 10,000 people visit my local Indian every year, doesn't make it right. Estimation is nothing but useless rubbish, you need to deal in hard, verifiable facts.

Fact

RTE spend 24,000,000 euro on Imports, giving access to 11,000 hours of programming, 30hours of programming per day.
    In House productions came to 182,000,000
    RTE 1 has a 26% audience share
    RTE 2 has an 11% audience share
    In 2007 RTE TV earned 156,000,000 in advertising reveune (not including sponsorship)
    In 2007 TV3 earned 63,000,000 euro
    TV3 must provide a certain amount of Irish programming (25% AFAIK)
    TV3 do not run a 24 hour TV service
    TV3 have 13% share of the audience

IMO TV3 do not spend anymore then 20,000,000 on imported shows, according to TV3, TG4 and RTE they each spend 2,000 euro per hour on imported programming.

Basing it on these figures and these figures alone I am suggesting that RTE earn about 40,000,000 in advertising revenue from their imported shows, giving them a profit of 20,000,000 to invest in other aspect of RTE.

Now thats how I come to my estimate, IMO RTE make a huge profit on imports each year.

You can read their annual report and come to some other conclusion.
    I could say that 10,000 people visit my local Indian every year

You could, but I would hope that you know what kind of profit/loss they make each or have some other information on which you could base your figure of 10,000 people.

We can make estimations, I never suggested that my estimation was a fact. I came to an estimation from figures that are available to the public. I have facts on which to base my estimation.

QED

Fact

RTE spend 24,000,000 euro on Imports, giving access to 11,000 hours of programming, 30hours of programming per day.
    In House productions came to 182,000,000
    RTE 1 has a 26% audience share
    RTE 2 has an 11% audience share
    RTE TV earn 156,000,000 in advertising reveune
    In 2008 TV3 earned 63,000,000 euro
    TV3 must provide a certain amount of Irish programming (25% AFAIK)
    TV3 do not run a 24 hour TV service
    TV3 do not spend anymore then 20,000,000 on imported shows
    TV3 have 13% share of the audience

Basing it on these figures and these figures alone I am suggesting that RTE earn about 40,000,000 in advertising revenue from their imported shows, giving them a profit of 20,000,000 to invest in other aspect of RTE.

Now thats how I come to my estimate, RTE make a profit on imports each year.

You can read their annual report and come to some other conclusion.

You are of course making the assumption that the Imports add value to the adverts? If they don't then it's not a profit as the same amount of money would be made from indigenous content. Given that RTE has giant viewing figures it's difficult to see how the advert revenue would increase, as the most viewed shows aren't the imports.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Can we please move on from this...

Anyway, the thread is about Boxer winning DTT licences, not how TV3 and RTÉ spend their money!

Anyway, the thread is about Boxer winning DTT licences, not how TV3 and RTÉ spend their money!

Sorry byte just to answer the last point and I will say no more.
    You are of course making the assumption that the Imports add value to the adverts?

No, I do not.

If I spend 2,000 euro on an Imported show and earn 100,000 I make a profit.
    If I spend 100,000 euro on a home produced show and earn 100,000 I breakeven.

E.G. Fair City breakseven but pulls in the advertisers. EastEnders has the same number of viewer but cost a lot less hence making bigger profits. Both shows earned the same amount of money. TV is expensive to make, hence the attraction to buy imports. If RTE removed their imports they would only have a few hours of TV.

That is it I will stop going off the topic and I applogise to the mods for changing the subject.

Stuff like that should be in the Broadcasting Forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

getting back on track, can anyone honestly see how boxer will have their predicted 215,000 customers by 2013? I cant unless they give away their service for a euro a month for the first 6 months or something like that.

50,000 per year... Not impossible.

But only about 300,000 non-pay households left. I can't see many desertions from Sky/UPC.

I'd have thought 60,000 to 180,000 is more realistic. But only a gut feeling.

They could always provide people with a free box, with a months worth of free subscription and once the month is up, take all of the Pay Channels away from customers asking them to call the following number if they wish to retain their Pay TV packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i reckon they will offer the box free with a 12month sub.. After 12months the box is yours
    Some people will get boxer as is may be more cost effective to subscribe for 1yr rather than buy a stb outright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm hoping stbs will come in under 50 euro when things getting going?

It won't be long till Dunnes has them at 34.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

According to yesterday's Sunday Times, STBs for the new DTT service after 2012 will cost around €150....

*sigh*:rolleyes:

Not AFTER 2012 but initially ( wholesale small quantities) maybe , then they will be subsidised to under €100 to get traction.

Newspapers are comics for big people. Don't take them too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if people are slow to take up boxer's service.. Prices will quickly drop.

Stupid service given the line up for all the reasons already stated.

I'll get my mpeg 4 tv and have the free licence provided DTT channels and use a humax freesat pvr for the rest.

As for take up,it will be poor when TV's with mpeg 4 become widespread unless the line up changes.
    Obviously the market is there for people who are outside the ICDG bubble to be conned cornered into thinking this is going to be value for money.
    Unfortunately for those of us wishing for a better channell line up there are probably an awfull lot of people unaware that all bar two of boxers channels(the useless 2) are free elsewhere ...so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Needless to say part of the €9.99 is going to BBC and ITV so that (to give them a small bit of due) probably tied boxers hands in terms of what they could provide at under a tenner and have some sort of (albeit flakey to us in the know) business plan to present to the obviously clueless regulators.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For those interested, the outline of the licence ComReg proposes to grant to the BCI for the Boxer service is attached as the Schedule to the below SI:

http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2008/B26152.pdf

(Wireless Telegraphy (Digital Terrestrial Television) Regulations, 2008).

I presume the licence to be granted to RTÉ will be similar.

Unfortunately for those of us wishing for a better channell line up there are probably an awfull lot of people unaware that all bar two of boxers channels(the useless 2) are free elsewhere.

More like bar one... Eurosport is still free on analogue. That only leaves Discovery out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Just saw it aswell. Typically Irish, we'll launch in ...., oh wait no, sorry it'lll be later lol. Doesn't reflect well on Boxer,particularly Boxer Access AB to not have been in the know. I think the other two consortium had September 2009 as launch dates. TV companies were obviously in the know. It doesn't reflect well on BT Ireland either who surely were in contact with RTÉ NL throughout the trial. Wonder will it give the BCI pause for thought. It appears the C6 acquisition is getting an early hearing: http://www.independent.ie/business/media/bci-to-decide-on-tv3-takeover-of-channel-6-1444311.html

• Advertisement

Well, it gives UPC and Sky (which is no longer breaking out Irish subscriber numbers, I wonder why?) another year in which to anticipate the arrival of Boxer and DTT. Boxers potential subscriber base is dwindling every day, but that's what comes out of DTT launch process that has taken us nearly ten years to get to the position where licences are to be awarded. And while I don't think negotiations have ever broken down with a BCI competition winner, the contract's not yet in Boxer's hands yet.

Incidently, I wonder what makes the government think it can do the transition from analogue to digital in a little over two years when its taken the UK (with an admittadly larger population) ten years and counting so far.

I agree with you ICDG. Pricing of course and one-off charge freesatellite. I think the BCI should intervene and give 1 mux to NI broadcasters inc C4 on condition that 1 Freeview mux in NI goes to Irish broadcasters on nil cost. If t2 was implemented it'd leave Boxer with an extra mux no worse off.

Also how about switchoff happening 6 months after DTT launch where rolled out.If you tell people they have to buy, then they will or lose service, that'll also assist take-up and increase the offering of channels for Boxer and some consumers to Sky or UPC. Why wait 2 years.You free up spectrum quickly for RTÉ and Boxer which is exactly what'll suit them. It'll also enable mobile TV and other uses to get going sooner. Why wait til 2012 except for the areas only covered in 2011/12.

We're a small population so it can be done sooner than elsewhere I wager

We're a small population so it can be done sooner than elsewhere I wager

Do RTÉNL need to update their network? Bar the trial area? and am I wrong in thinking that Boxer suggested rolling out their own network?????

Both projects wouldn't have anything to do with population, rather area and manpower, which even on this small island it is a huge area with small remote populations.

Actually I think the government are being naive to claim they can switch over by 2012, I'm thinking 2015 at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Karsini wrote: »
    Actually I think the government are being naive to claim they can switch over by 2012, I'm thinking 2015 at the very least.

The BCI has also indicated 2015 as the completion of ASO in the following Irish Independant article from 7th March.
    Deadline for turning off analogue TV may stretch to 2015
    by Laura Noonan - Friday March 07 2008

THE 2012 deadline for switching off analogue TV is "not written in stone" and may be extended as far as 2015, the chief executive of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) revealed yesterday.

The comments came as the BCI unveiled details of the licensing process for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), which will ultimately replace traditional analogue TV.

The BCI has previously cited 2012 as the absolute cut-off point for DTT, but yesterday chief executive Michael O'Keeffe stuck a distinctly softer tone.

"It's not written in stone," he said. "It was the target date."

He added that the actual switch-off date was likely to be "between 2012 and 2015".

(http://www.independent.ie/business/media/deadline-for-turning-off-analogue-tv-may-stretch-to-2015-1308874.html)

• Advertisement

Do RTÉNL need to update their network? Bar the trial area? and am I wrong in thinking that Boxer suggested rolling out their own network?????

Both projects wouldn't have anything to do with population, rather area and manpower, which even on this small island it is a huge area with small remote populations.

RTENL has been rolling out a terrestrial backhaul network for nearly two years. But only for their own mux.

Boxer needs to either do their own or pay RTENL. They could feed via Satellite as French, c6 (UPC headends) and C5 (UK Terrestrial). BBC even has some sat feeds I think.

But the question is what % coverage will we see? Current RTE NL is for 13 sites only.

95% which is unacceptably low and probably means mostly roof aerials is over 160 transmitter sites. Unlike Analogue the small sites (repeaters/Transposers at present), which is 3/4 or more, will need direct feed either terrestrial or satellite. If you ever want SFN, then feed is more of an issue as all sites have to have the video content in sync.

Boxer needs to either do their own or pay RTENL. They could feed via Satellite as French, c6 (UPC headends) and C5 (UK Terrestrial). BBC even has some sat feeds I think.

And all of this will take time to role out and then we have to deal with the popluation taking up the product.

Also I has just come into my mind that Dixons, DID etc will all be advertising their "DTT Ready" TVs "no need for a box".

All the national broadcasters and most (if not all??) ILRs pay RTÉ to use its network. No-one has yet attempted to role out a competing network. It would certainly require a licence from ComReg under the Wireless Telegraphy Acts and would most likely delay Boxer's role out, in that the NIMBY brigade would be out in force at any planned new transmitter sites.

I can't see Boxer doing anything other than paying RTÉ NL, which is what TG4, Today FM, and TV3 already do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Unlike Analogue the small sites (repeaters/Transposers at present), which is 3/4 or more, will need direct feed either terrestrial or satellite. If you ever want SFN, then feed is more of an issue as all sites have to have the video content in sync.

All multiplexes should use the same transmitter masts (antennas) - otherwise one transmitter will 'punch holes' in the other transmitters coverage. This is also a problem around extra DVB-H repeaters it they do not relay the DVB-T DTT multiplexes, too.

Boxer in Denmark has agreed to use the PSB's (DR and TV2 Danmark's) network, masts and the DR/TV2 owned technical operator.
    An order for NEC DTU-52 transmitters was announced in May.

Relays can receive the main multiplex channels via an antenna and retransmit on the same frequency (if using SFN mode) or after shifting the frequency to another channel in MFN mode. As long as the relay is only covering a local area and is located well within the guard interval, it will work nicely. Larger SFN transmitters must be in sync.

Lars :)

Under the Broadcasting (Amendment) Act, the ASO rests with the Minister on the advise of the BCI. Even the BCI note that ASO is a matter for the DCENR. The BCI is only giving its opinion. Why 2015 is talked about is because under the International Telecommunications Union international bilateral state agreeements, this is the latest date for ASO. There are economic benefits to the state in switching off earlier. EU prefer 2012 so that co-ordination on after ASO uses can be advanced and that we don't lag too far other continents for instance, in the USA its 2009.

The Minister seems to be fairly much on 2012 ie somebody read somewhere of September 30th is the one in mind. As has been, said the DTT upgrade is well underway by RTÉ NL with most of the country covered by launch in October 2009. I would argue that we should start switching those over in 2010, it will drive take-up. I think phased switchover is better than national switchover logistically. If manpower is an issue, I'm sure Boxer can bring in people from Teracom Sweden to assist while RTÉ NL continue upgrading. The 2011 and 2011 switchovers can be co-ordinated with the NI campaign.

It also saves money for the broadcasters which with digital multichannel to roll out, they could do with. People will adopt if they know there are benefits and they have to. It helps viability of DTT also. Logistically it'd be much easier I wager for RTÉ NL to do ASO on a phased basis than the big bang. I don't know, what's involved in removing Analogue terrestrial? Does it take long?
    The Cush wrote: »
    The BCI has also indicated 2015 as the completion of ASO in the following Irish Independant article from 7th March.

scath wrote: »

The Minister seems to be fairly much on 2012 ie somebody read somewhere of September 30th is the one in mind. As has been, said the DTT upgrade is well underway by RTÉ NL with most of the country covered by launch in October 2009. I would argue that we should start switching those over in 2010, it will drive take-up. I think phased switchover is better than national switchover logistically. If manpower is an issue, I'm sure Boxer can bring in people from Teracom Sweden to assist while RTÉ NL continue upgrading. The 2011 and 2011 switchovers can be co-ordinated with the NI campaign.

It also saves money for the broadcasters which with digital multichannel to roll out, they could do with. People will adopt if they know there are benefits and they have to. It helps viability of DTT also. Logistically it'd be much easier I wager for RTÉ NL to do ASO on a phased basis than the big bang. I don't know, what's involved in removing Analogue terrestrial? Does it take long?

The Minister's mind will be fairly easily changed if there is a public backlash against being forced to go digital - ie if there is the potential for unnecessarly losing votes on a non-core government policy in what will be, lest we forget, an election year (assuming the government does not fall prematurely).

The current DTT FTA offer being proposed is not simply enough to draw people who do not want pay TV to digital. People will not go out and spend €100 or so a piece on an STB (this may be in some cases up to €500 or more a household) which will only give them the same channels they have right now, a Dáil channel, a film channel that will likely not have much in the way of Hollywood blockbusters on it, and **maybe** extra RTÉ and TV3 services (and RTÉ and TV3 will only launch extra services if they can make money out of them, for which the business case is not proven yet).

As for increasing pay-TV numbers. Practically everyone who wants pay-TV at this stage already has it - it might have been different in 1998 when pay-TV meant a cable/MMDS service that had less channels than DTT could offer or a Sky service that had no BBC & ITV on it - but times have changed and Sky and UPC have a million customers between them leaving little for Boxer to do. Nobody will really, despite Boxer's protestations, justify taking out two or more pay-TV subscriptions for the one household - likely for multiroom viewing they will either get second boxes from their existing provider or make do with FTA analogue until its proposed switched off. Which is when the complaints will start and the minister will have to take a decision on whether or not to proceed with ASO or postpone it.

This charging of UK channels has the potential to cause people to be more bothered in election year that ASO. Like its the UK that's switching off UK terrestrial overspill off. We're not doing that, though we have our own to switch off.

A danger of some skipping DTT and just go with Freesat where they'll get RTÉ International. Now I don't know, maybe that wouldn't be so. I think its such a pity that UPC apparently objected to RTÉ's reciprocity plan with Freeview NI. If they had to have been wiser, they would have said, okay, but you have to combo with us on the boxes as a discount. Would save UPC royalty fees and spectrum, and enable them offer relabeled FTA cable and get their boxes in houses. People would have the option of picking from each provider premium channels or pay DTT could be temporarily disabled during the contract on the box as part of the contract.

I don't think ASO will be a political issue that you suggest, once its explained as the March 2009 campaign can no doubt deal with. I think FTA Uk terrestrials will come up when it becomes known to the public.

I mean, the ASO problem could be resolved if the Minister decided, lets give one mux to NI broadcasters in return for Irish broadcasters getting a NI mux. Reduce the fees for Boxer for same. This is what they should have done. I see more of a backlash for being charged for services that were free before. The mux deal would make ASO easier. I don't see people having a problem with ASO as the UK is doing it to, all of Europe is. Once this is known I think the pressure will come on for Boxer to give up a mux and get a refund of fees on that and getting a 2nd ASO mux when T2 comes along

We keep forgetting, but I do try to remind people (nearly on every thread).

ASO must take place regardless of what is on Digital. It could just be RTE One, RTE Two, TV3 and TG4 all four channels have to move to digital.

The government, BCI, and most people seem to think that ASO will effect most people in areas where Digital Cable and Satellite take up is high. I am sorry to have to inform you, but those paying subscriptions won't even notice the change to Digital TV. That is nearly 700,000 subscriptions. There are alot of people out there that think you cann't get the 4 Irish channels free even now (Do you think they care?).

As for people getting free BBC1, 2, S4C, C4, UTV, HTV etc well now is the time for them to move to FreeSat.

I agree with you Elmo. No point in postponing ASO. It has to be done. TV isn't the only consideration. Simultaneous analogue and digital costs broadcasters quite a bit, and to extend this will have a bearing on Irish programme investment. This surely would bother people more than ASO. I think unless UPC and Boxer etc buck up their ideas, then people will skip both these platforms for freesat. Who'll be the winner? Sky or if they're lucky,freesat UK

And if that happens, it'll hit TV3 hardest, which may push them into buying out UTV plc sooner to be FTA on satellite under the ITV network agreeement, ie UTV as other channels on Sky...As it is, buying UTV makes real sense for TV3 to get onto FTA satellite, to get into radio here and to combine the strenghts of the UTV brand with TV3, with content, news and coverage across the island. ITN as an international news partner might well also be possible

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement