Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight refund

Options
  • 21-07-2008 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

So i was one of the many caught out in Dublin airport the other week,

tried to get throught to aerlingus that evening but there lines were jammed, so book a flight for the next morning without telling them or trying to change my cancelled flight..

so now just wondering can I get a refund for the new flight i had to book the next morning as it was dearer...

tried ringing aer lingus but there impossible to get too

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

strong1 wrote: »
    So i was one of the many caught out in Dublin airport the other week,

tried to get throught to aerlingus that evening but there lines were jammed, so book a flight for the next morning without telling them or trying to change my cancelled flight..

so now just wondering can I get a refund for the new flight i had to book the next morning as it was dearer...

tried ringing aer lingus but there impossible to get too

thanks

No, because you did not give them any opportunity to resolve the problem. If you went to the customer service desk they would have moved your flight free of charge. However you chose to dump the flight and book a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

The first thing you need to do is contact the customer service dept and give them a chance to sort it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 strong1

Well as I said i did try to contact them but it was impossible, mainly due to all the choas i would say..

I needed to be in the uk the next day so I had no choice but to book a flight without waiting for them to do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Commission for Aviation Regulation says it's unlikely that anyone will be due compensation. As Michael O'Leary has said, you only get compo when it's the airline that screws up. If the Dublin Airport Monopoly (to coin his phrase) causes delays, you get nothing. Whatever you might think of O'Leary, he does make sense some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jor el wrote: »
    The Commission for Aviation Regulation says it's unlikely that anyone will be due compensation. As Michael O'Leary has said, you only get compo when it's the airline that screws up. If the Dublin Airport Monopoly (to coin his phrase) causes delays, you get nothing. Whatever you might think of O'Leary, he does make sense some of the time.

That's a little unfair. The IAA screwed up, not the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I think you're entitled to claim the tax back on the flight you didn't take. Not 100% sure about that one, but it would be better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I think you're entitled to claim the tax back on the flight you didn't take. Not 100% sure about that one, but it would be better than nothing

I am also not sure about this but I remember hearing it somewhere.
    Also are you entitled to the landing fees ? if you didnt actually land ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I am also not sure about this but I remember hearing it somewhere.
    Also are you entitled to the landing fees ? if you didnt actually land ?

You can claim back the taxes and airport charges, but the airlines are entitled to apply a fee for processing your claim. The fee is usually more than the tax and charges, making it not worth while.

What should happen in this case, since a lot of flights were grounded, is that the airlines should automatically refund the taxes and charges to your card, since they don't have to pay these now. This won't happen though, and the airlines will be only too happy to say it's not their fault and claim there's nothing they can do about it.

Advertisement