Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

another points question!

Options
  • 21-07-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I was pulled over for the first time last night under the bridge in Finglas, I know it's a favourite spot for the guards for years, I wasn't thinking and got caught for a few kms over the limit.

the guard seemed to by sympathetic and quite friendly and after a little chat warned me about the heavy right foot. As I was about to get ready to motor on he asked if I had a full license.

Murphy's law, the license was in my other motor and he asked me to produce it within 10days with my insurance. he had to go back to his car to get a notebook to take my details.

My question is, have I managed to escape the fixed penalty notice and points or did I run out of luck because I didn't have my license, I didn't want to be cheeky and ask the guard as I felt he was being decent enough.

I have a points free license and I like it that way !! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

All they do nowadays is take your name, address and car registration and they send you out the fine in the post. You'll still need to fill out your licence details for your points when the fine comes so technically he didnt need your licence. You might get lucky but id be 90% certain you'll get your fine in the post in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

from your post details, i'd say your off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I got caught on friday. I completely deserved it. But the guard was a hot blond girl and was really nice about it. I hate it when they give you hassle seeming you get the points anyways. But she ignored the fact my nct was out of date so I won't complain.

I think you will get the points in the post in a few weeks but I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

pretty much same happened to me last year as the OP but I had my licence on me. I apologised (doing 90 in 80 zone) and he said just take it easy in future.

Thought I got off with it but got fine and points in the post later that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i got caught on the phone a few weeks ago, denied it at first then admitted it and the guard said he would of let me off if i admitted it in the first place so i said i was wrong and asked could he let me away with but he said he would let me off the tax, got a fine today but it was only for parkin on double yellow line so no points

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

guil07 wrote: »
    i got caught on the phone a few weeks ago, denied it at first then admitted it and the guard said he would of let me off if i admitted it in the first place so i said i was wrong and asked could he let me away with but he said he would let me off the tax, got a fine today but it was only for parkin on double yellow line so no points
    Very Irish.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

you'll be fine, he would have told you about the points if you were going to get them....

dropping in your licence and insurance is standard procedure, nothing to worry about....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

you'll be fine, he would have told you about the points if you were going to get them.

I wasn't told anything about getting points either. She told me the speed she clocked me at and showed me the readout. I gave her my license and she took the details, looked at the tax, insurance and nct and then handed me back my licence. Just said 'slow down a bit please' and walked back to her car.

I was just sitting there thinking I might have got away with it but no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anan1 wrote: »
    Very Irish.:)
    i was delighted with it anyway, i have 3 points, had 7 and need my licence for my job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, be sure to produce.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

cheers for the responses, it looks like it could be 50/50.

I produced the insurance last night and license so fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

well ... to answer my own question ... in the letterbox this lunchtime was two shiny new penalty points for myself :(

I guess the clincher was that I didn't have my license with me at the time.

I am still wondering how I managed to get caught on that strech of road .considering that I travel it every day and see the feckers there with their hair dryers. Mind you I never once have seen an accident there ... would that because the guards enforce the 60kph limit or is it because its a wide open road with great visability and only one slip road off it .. I suppose i will never know :mad:

Advertisement