Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

delays

• 21-07-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

hi hows it goin..

just a question for you builders,, rang blockie last week and this morning to see when ready to build (sub floor poured sat).. he said ring me back sat as has work on and the lads he has have decided to go on hols then.. i know he is going himself beginning of august so i'm presuming this is a five to six week wait.. hes great at his job and quick but my husband now has another recommendation and wants to go with it.. his argument is six weeks is long time to waste during 'summer' months..

is it mad to change or is this common occurance or am i just a whiny beeatch :D:D..

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lainey wrote: »
    hi hows it goin..

just a question for you builders,, rang blockie last week and this morning to see when ready to build (sub floor poured sat).. he said ring me back sat as has work on and the lads he has have decided to go on hols then.. i know he is going himself beginning of august so i'm presuming this is a five to six week wait.. hes great at his job and quick but my husband now has another recommendation and wants to go with it.. his argument is six weeks is long time to waste during 'summer' months..

is it mad to change or is this common occurance or am i just a whiny beeatch :D:D..

there is no shortage of tradesmen available for work...

as the saying goes, you snooze, you loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lainey wrote: »
    The latter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry, just kidding :)

Really and truly its down to yourself. If there is nothing in writing and you feel you can get the job done quicker (maybe even cheaper) by hiring someone else then by all means go for it.

This time of year (holidays etc) is always a bad time to start a new build unless timescales gave been agreed. But as pointed out there should be a lot of tradesmen available, well at least a few more than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i was ignoring that as i'm so afraid of confrontation :D (i won't be ringing the blockie or he'd convince me to wait six months ha)..

i think my husbands friend said he'd get it 30 c cheaper per block.. i may send my husband to do dirty work haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Good men are hard to get. Reputation and quality can be more important than price. Skilled people are worth their weight in gold to the Self-builder.

Wait, if you think he is worth it, otherwise move on, once you are sure he and his crew have put you on the long finger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

it is usual for builders holidays to cause these problems

and you will live hopefully happily for years and years in the house - and 6 weeks wait won't mean anything then

on the other hand if you do have an equally good alternative ready to go now - the present blockie will undersatnd you did not want to wait

Advertisement