Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on goods ordered in UK but shipped from Norway

• 21-07-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭

Can anybody provide some business VAT advice on the below?

I ordered an expensive piece of computer hardware from a UK company. Without our knowledge, the company then instructed the manufacturers in Norway to ship it directly to us in Dublin. The unit was then held by Irish customs until we paid Irish VAT on it.

Now the company we ordered from has sent us an invoice with UK VAT applied. I've told them we already paid VAT and I'm not sure we should pay it twice, but they are insisting we are also liable to pay UK VAT.

I've never had this issue before buying from the UK, as normally the companies are registered for Irish VAT.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Customs were right to charge you VAT on the point of entry into the EU.

The UK company is incorrectly charging you UK VAT as the good were shipped from outside the EU. I'd simply advise them that UK VAT has been incorrectly applied and pay them the amount for the goods ex VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Thanks SetantaL, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Advertisement