Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical effects of a stammer

Options
  • 21-07-2008 4:55pm

Does anyone else here go through the 'dying fish' routine when they start to stammer?

I find that sometime it seems like my whole jaw and mouth muscles have 'locked up' when I am stammering and that (I imagine) I look like a choking fish when trying to speak.

Personally, I find that when I have reached this stage my confidence just evaporates, and I will do anything to get away from the people where I just was.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen too often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think we all have our little physical signals that a block is occuring and unfortunately most are self perpetuating and very difficult to counter act. There can be an alternative however, I believe from my experience. There arent many sounds you can make looking like a 'dying fish' so if its possible to stop that behaviour and focus on making the first sound with a soft contact or the like it will soon become clear how unnecessary these almost reflex reactions are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

That sounds exactly like what i used to go through when i was younger. I lost count of the number of times i hung up the phone or just left a shop because i couldnt speak at all. After speech therapy and hypnotherapy and being generally more chilled out in general it never gets that bad any more. Also, i recognise when it is happening so i stop, take a breath and continue on. My stammer always seems to disappear after a few pints so its definitely a tension thing with me.

Advertisement