Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Selects same table

Options
  • 21-07-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

lo,
    i have a table called properties and i am running this select statement:
    $querykk = 'SELECT `RecordID`,`Ref_Num`,`Main_Image_Path`,`County` FROM properties'
            . ' where county = "kilkenny"'
            . ' ORDER BY Date_Registered DESC'
            . ' LIMIT 1'
            . ' ';

and i want to do this for a number of counties ie. dublin, cork, limerick... so my question is can i have multiple selects from the same table? then write the results to a table?

Thanks
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

banbutcher wrote: »
    lo,
    i have a table called properties and i am running this select statement:
    $querykk = 'SELECT `RecordID`,`Ref_Num`,`Main_Image_Path`,`County` FROM properties'
            . ' where county = "kilkenny"'
            . ' ORDER BY Date_Registered DESC'
            . ' LIMIT 1'
            . ' ';

and i want to do this for a number of counties ie. dublin, cork, limerick... so my question is can i have multiple selects from the same table? then write the results to a table?

Thanks
    Richie

First off what flavour of SQL is this?

I only do TSQL or PL/SQL so my answer is limited to these flavours of SQL. I would replace

where county = "kilkenny"

with

where county in ("kilkenny", "dublin", "cork", "limerick")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

What exactly do you mean by multiple selects? Do you mean a select where "kilkenny" can be any county based on user input?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

its mySQL, and basically what i want to do is show the latest property added to the database for each coulny in a table!

@Mirror, i dont know if multiple selects is the right terminology for it, but i taught thats what would be needed!

thanks again
    Richie

Oh well If that's what you want to do, you want something like
    $query="SELECT `RecordID`,`Ref_Num`,`Main_Image_Path`, unique(`County`) FROM properties ORDER BY `your_date_reference`";

This will return the most recent result for each county.

thanks mirror, but if i only wanted to show results from 8 counties rather than all counties, how would i go about that?
    thanks

• Advertisement

Ok, well I'm not an expert on efficiency of queries, but this should serve the purpose:
    SELECT `RecordID`,`Ref_Num`,`Main_Image_Path`,`County` max(`Date_Registered`) FROM properties' WHERE county = "kilkenny" OR county = "dublin" OR county = "carlow" etc. GROUP BY `County`

This will return the max `Date_Registered` entry for each county specified in the WHERE criteria.

Mirror that works Perfect, thanks a million!
    Richie

No problem, good luck with the project!

Advertisement