Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Garapevine, Rose Inn Street

Options
  • 21-07-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

* Stephen has granted me permission to post this * Not an advertisment**

Hi Folks,

I'm just looking for some feedback on a wine/cafe bar myself and my business partner have recently opened (3 months ago). It's called The Grapevine, and it's on Rose Inn street (opposite Lanigans).

Has anybody been in there? Have you tried the Wine/Food/Bottled beer. What did you think of the service, staff, ambience? Have you/would you go back? What did you think of the music?

Ta.

Hobart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

TBH I never knew it was there...
    However I'll try it out and let you know how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

It doesn't seem very welcoming TBH

but that could be my reaction to the opening night- something irritating about "some people" who seem to think attenence at receptions with a glass of wine in hand is related to their (self)importance - who knows maybe it is

did look in on passing a few times and for some reason felt uninclined to go in -though the beer bottles in the window this very evening did catch my attemtion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

it doesn't seem like it's aimed towards myself or my generation as I'm only 19 so I doubt I'll ever be in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thanks folks.

King: That's the reaction we've had from most people that have been in the place for the first time, in that they seem to not know it is there. We'vw done a couple of things over the past 2 weeks to address that.

Messiah: Is that the reaction you got when in there, or is that just a general feeling when looking in at the place? We had the official opening night last Friday (the 11th) and it was a genuine "thank you" to 50 or 60 people who helped put it together for us, as it was almost a year getting done.

The bottled beers are a recent addition and seem to be working well.

I also get what you mean in relation to people with a glass of wine in their hand and tbh, that is one of the main reasons behind this place, to take that idea of "snobbishness" out of wine. We import 90% of our wine ourselves, and you won't find a Claret or Bordeaux on the menu.

Raze: It's aimed at no particular generation tbh. We've had a techo-jazz session there one evening (which went down v well) and we get a mixture of all ages.

Thanks again guy's, all feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I will say the bottle Beers is a smart addition though, I hate wine and my female friends love it the beer would at least give me something to drink, it could end up as a compramise for a birthday.

I'll see if anyone of my friends have actually been and I'll let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 caoimhghin72

Been there twice or three times (maybe 4). Like it...fiance loves it... we will go back.. Kilkenny needs places like this - alternative to sitting in front of two or three plasma/LCD screens in a pub..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Didn't actually know it was there, I like the wine at home but wouldn’t feel comfortable drinking it in a pub with the lads, and can we (wife) buy by bottle or glass and sit down. And any chance just a guide of prices I'm sure we'd get through 2 bottles maybe 3 how would the price compare to a night out in the pub.

Best of luck with the venture, I sure I'll be there probably some Sunday afternoon.

I see there's also a new one on the buterslip

Thanks again folks.

Raze: Try it some Friday night with some friends. If you think the atmosphere is noy you, or you don't enjoy it, PM me and I'll refund the price of your drink.

caoimhghin72: Glad you liked the place, would be interested in what you and your fiance did like about it, was it the food/wine/ambience etc...

Namesco:As I said above, it's a common thing for us in that people seem to be passing it by. Don't get me wrong, we have been overwhelmed by the response to the place over the past weeks, it has been phenominal tbh.

There is a smashing place on butterslip, but it's a little more formal than our place, and I would not think that I would be doing it a disservice by saying that it's more for the wine connoisseur. Having said that, they have a super selection of wine.

Thanks again folks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Hi Hobart - I've been trying to get to your place and/or the other one for a while now, but I'm finding my friends are either on for a "meal out" or "a few pints in the pub" - I think it'll take a while for the concept of a wine bar to sink in!

Would you consider doing tasting nights/classes?

Did many go to your poetry evenings?

MsFifers wrote: »
    Hi Hobart - I've been trying to get to your place and/or the other one for a while now, but I'm finding my friends are either on for a "meal out" or "a few pints in the pub" - I think it'll take a while for the concept of a wine bar to sink in!

Would you consider doing tasting nights/classes?

Did many go to your poetry evenings?

Hi MsFisers, TBH the reaction to the bar has been phenomenal. When we initially decided to setup the business we, obviously, have to do a business plan. Part of that plan included financial projections. Over the past few month's we have more than exceeded those projections, so we are delighted with the volume of trade.

My queries here are 100% not to seek new business, however, what has amazed us, is the amount of people that have come into the place for the first time and said "I never knew this place was here".

On the wine tasting, we do wine tastings on the 1st Tuesday of every month. The tastings are normally based around wines from a specific country. This month it was Australia, next month it's France. Numbers/tickets are limited, and we have the services of a Wine expert (from Gilbeys) who tells you all about the wines, what foods go well with what etc...

The poetry evenings happened by accident, tbh. They have proved popular (15 -20), although I have not been there when one was taking place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I just meant it'll take a while for the concept to sink in with my friends :D. Nice to hear your business is going so well - getting sick of all the doom & gloom around! Good to hear a success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Havent been in yet but have seen it and might go in for a beer. Just a few questions though:

What sort of music you play. Any particular nights have DJs or a band. Is so which night?

Is there a dancefloor? Is dancing discouraged/Encouraged.

What time do you stay open/serve until?

Best of luck with it. It looks like a great place and Kilkenny really needs somewhere like this.

jiggajt wrote: »
    Havent been in yet but have seen it and might go in for a beer. Just a few questions though:

What sort of music you play. Any particular nights have DJs or a band. Is so which night?

Is there a dancefloor? Is dancing discouraged/Encouraged.

What time do you stay open/serve until?

Best of luck with it. It looks like a great place and Kilkenny really needs somewhere like this.

Hi jiggajt,

Music is very varied. Everything from Jazz, Funk, Blues, with some contemporary stuff aswell. We have a DJ most Thurs or Fri, with live music on Saturdays. There is no dancefloor, and if you feel like having a bob, belt ahead.

Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Thursdays we are open from 12:00 - 11:30 Fri and Sat we open till 01:30 AM.

Thanks for your best wishes, pop in and have a beer or glass of wine sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Is the music loud in there? Yes, I know I sound like I'm 70 or something but I'm fed up of going into places where the music's at an OK level, then next thing they turn it up to 11 and you can't talk to the person beside you without roaring at them.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Is the music loud in there? Yes, I know I sound like I'm 70 or something but I'm fed up of going into places where the music's at an OK level, then next thing they turn it up to 11 and you can't talk to the person beside you without roaring at them.

The ambience is very very important to us. We tried to come up with a place where somebdoy could come in, order a coffee and sit reading a book all day, or have a nice glass of wine, a cheese board or some wild boar salami, and have a chat.

It gets very busy on Thursday/Friday and Sat, so it can get quite "loud", but that's purely because of the volume of people in there (it seats about 70). If you find the music too loud, have a word with the staff and they will turn it down for you, but it should not be an issue, we've never been asked to turn it down tbh ;)

Advertisement