Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Tells - Help

Options
  • 21-07-2008 5:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭

Anyone got any tips on how not to look like a total bluffing gimp when bluffing - sometimes when i bluff i know i look like it eg blushing and just generally looking weak and totally suspect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

stare down, put your tongue against the back of your teeth and keep your mouth closed everytime your in a hand..bluffing or not.. this is what tommy angelo says anyhow

Just get a routine. If you feel you give too much away then make sure on every street you do the same thing, whether you are bluffing or betting the nuts. Building a count into your game (counting to 5 before you act no matter what you are going to do) is also a good way to eliminate tells.

Cuterobs example is perfect, just do it every single time, whether bluffing or not, otherwise you become an even bigger tellbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Building a count into your game (counting to 5 before you act no matter what you are going to do) is also a good way to eliminate tells.

Please do not do this if you have a simple fold preflop. I.e. you get dealt 82 on the button with a raise, re-raise and an All in, in front of you. You Have no idea how annoying it is particularly in a game with 15-20min blinds, its just takes so much time out of the clock. I don't mind people doing it when they actually have a decision, but the gimps who take 5 seconds to act with 82 in the spot described above should be shot.

Also from my experience people who are super worried about giving away tells and try to be robotic about things usually give away twice as many tells as those who are more relaxed. I played at the same table as a "Mr Roboto" at the NSPC. He had the hat the glasses and did the chris ferguson Hands to mouth thing before acting each and every time, whether to call or fold. However you could tell he was bluffing every time because he interlocked this fingers when bluffing and just cupped one hand with the other at all other times.

So my advise is to worry less about giving away tells, because if your worried about giving them away you will give more away than usual

Regards
    Ian

Obviously when you have a simple fold you don't give the count. I meant whenever you have a real decision. I am no "Mr. Roboto" but he asked for advice to cut down tells and this is a start.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Play more :)
    Seriously, after a while you wont care if you are bluffing as it will be just another hand.
    Dont hold your breath either, its a dead give away.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Please some respect for the 8 2 off hand....this is my lucky hand and it is actually pretty strong indeed.

Back to topic.

For me the most important tell is given by SB and BB when blinds go high (lets say from Level 6 onwards) and I plan to start stealing. I usually play super-tight before as I want to give a nit image (and make sure the other players notice it, usually by saying a loud "fold" everytime I fold or complaining that I am card dead) and use it at my advantage later....basically when the blinds are worth stealing I look at the way the SB and BB handle the cards after looking at them, 90% of players give away strong signals, and then i raise any unopened pot from middle /late position with any 2 cards if I feel they dont have a good hand. They still think I am a nit and fold....not noticing that I switched to "maniac gear" . I try not to make it too obvious though, the best I have done so far is to raise 4 pots in a row....funny stuff that on the last pot I actually had A-Q but met no resistance....then I usually slow down a bit not to lose credibility and try to fold my SB and concede a walk where possible (making sure the table notice how tight I am), and then start raising again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Obviously when you have a simple fold you don't give the count. I meant whenever you have a real decision. I am no "Mr. Roboto" but he asked for advice to cut down tells and this is a start.

Kayroo sorry if it sounded like I was getting on to you this was not the intention. I am not saying your Mr Roboto, just an example of a player I played against!

Regards
    Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

DeVore wrote: »
    Play more :)
    Seriously, after a while you wont care if you are bluffing as it will be just another hand.
    Dont hold your breath either, its a dead give away.

DeV.

yes very well said i think when you get a guy/gal to smile there not as strong in some cases only

edit:
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Try to be doing as little as possible. Avoid card protectors or shuffling chips fiddling with ipods and sunglasses and have a spot on the table to look at and a way of placing your hands for every hand you play.

very well said Lloyd it can be very boring at the best of time's looking into that spot your talking about at the table ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on how not to look like a total bluffing gimp when bluffing - sometimes when i bluff i know i look like it eg blushing and just generally looking weak and totally suspect

Contol your heartbeat if u feel nervous practice keepin a low heartbeat cas its a great tell on a player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

lol how can you control your heartbeat?

Mr.Plough wrote: »

Hehe its quiet difficult. Jus practice your breathing and your heartbeat will slow down. Takes plenty of practice though! Still trying to master it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pacemaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Jumping from a bridge is one way.

In fact after reading post #7, I think I'll go and control my own heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah lol.

Some people will have an uncontrollable surge of adrenaline either when they are dealt a great hand preflop or are being sweated in a big pot (either with the nuts or on a stonecolder). There isn't a whole lot you can do to stop this if you are prone to it. However, your standard pose should incorporate hiding your neck and you should wear loose fitting tops. At the end of the day eradication of all tells will be impossible for most people. Just try to get rid of really obvious ones and concentrate on playing good and you'll be winning live without too much hassle.

Exactly, couldn't of said it better ;)You should wear loose fit tops but also cover your neck. cas thats were you can see the heartbeat. I have made a lot of calls because of this tell to either find out the were stone cold bluffing or had the nuts. So you have to figure out from there play if the are bluffing or have a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Contol your heartbeat if u feel nervous practice keepin a low heartbeat cas its a great tell on a player

LOL :D

I guess he needs to check with his doctor first!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭big_iain

A few things i would recommend after 4 years live play.

1> Never look at your cards until it is your turn. When I first started, I would be very keen and look at them straight away. If you have AA then it is hard to not give it away. Without experience, you almost always get excited, you will always act differently. I can always sense when an newb has aces. It is as if something has changed from the normal way he plays hand. Just call me maverick.

2> I agree with luckylloyd but would add that you have to do that every hand where you put a bet in. Don't look serious just for the big hands.

3> One of the top players out of Galway once told me to pick a comfortable position and train yourself to go into that position every time you play a hand.

4> Other tells could be obviously counting the pot on a draw to work out your pot odds. Try and keep up with the play.

5> Starting talking before you bet ie. Unusual speech play. You will have a big hand--Always

6> Try to act and take your turn at the same pace every hand. Snap calls or raises give can give away a lot of information. If you have the nuts, Then slow yourself down. Check and recheck. call at your usual speed. If there are any other players still to act they may put more chips in too. Never rush.

7> Wear dark glasses. You can tell with some people exactly what they have hit. They tend to look at the card they hit last before some other action. Long stare at the cards in the middle could mean they have missed and are working out there outs for draws.

8> Looking down at your chips after the flop when it is not your turn to act. give away. (somepeople do this deliberately when they are drawing from a late position to get a free card. )

9> Never play out of turn. Apart from being annoying your all-in move could prevent someone in the middle still to play, not to put in a few thousand chips. I once did this with just 3 players left. I won the pot against one player for his chips but found out later that the guy in the middle was going in with Top pair top kicker. I could have won the tournament there and then with my trip 9's. I Let the middle opponent keep his chips and he eventually he beat me out of the win.

10> When you are down to two players in a hand and you have acted. If your opponent starts talking to you. He is trying to get a read. Just don't say anything. Ignore him until the hand is over. There is no rule that says you have to answer him. You can as a new player give a lot away by your answer. Shut it and stay in your comfortable position. If he mentions what hands you could have do not react to this. Stay in your position and keep it shut. Someone once did this trying to make me think they had two pair. board was kqX rainbow, i had AKo. After i reraised, they were still saying out loud what i could have had. By them saying i could have trip K's or trip X's implies they have two pair like KQ or KX. They then re-raised me. Me being mad i went all-in over the top. They had JT, on just a str8 draw and was trying to steal. They hit an Ace on the river, and i was out. But, i learnt a valuable lesson about speech play. Cost me €95 like, donations accepted.:).

Now then. I do not claim to be an expert. but use these as a basis to improve your table body behavior and use it to work out what your opponents could be doing and their body behaviors.

Remember, remember, how you behaved in a big pot and how your opponents behaved in a big pot. This will help you make the difficult decisions in later hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

If you held your breath against me...You'd die before I made my decision.....!

Very rarely have I seen a guy smile while not holding the nearly nuts...!

Convince yourself you have a monster and keep telling yourself this when your opponent is making their decision...(I never bluff...but I think this is what I'd do...)...

Try to put yourself in a place where your in a relaxed state of mind...(shoreline in Doolin...beach in wherever...etc..)...or just try drugs...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

wear a berka

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Hehe its quiet difficult. Jus practice your breathing and your heartbeat will slow down. Takes plenty of practice though! Still trying to master it :p

you'l find that your heartbeat rises alot when your bluffing.
    when this happens, take deep breaths, like you see when a lady is practising for pregnancy. this will slow down your heart beat alot also and make your more relaxed.

also by standing up it helps your lungs breath easier.

By doing the two of these things, it should really help eliminate this particular physical tell

Russh wrote: »
    (I never bluff...

or just try drugs...!

you serious? you never bluff?

and yea like russh said just take drugs...i dont know if it will help your game or anything but just take them anyway..go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

The pulse thing is actually massive. It is because of not being able to control your pulse that you fumble chips, can't talk properly etc etc etc. Deep breaths really help. Having a small understanding of meditation really helps as well. It helps you gain a little more control over yourself.

Devs advice is the other bit that stands out. If you get used to playing and are comfortable with it you won't be nervous/give away tells half as much. I've found this for sure. Its not even as much to do with maintaining the same routine (even though it helps to calm you down and disguise) as much as getting used to the game and the swings and knowing its only a stack so whatever.

When you've lost hundreds of stacks at tables playing one more doesn't feel any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

cuterob wrote: »
    you serious? you never bluff?

Yep...tried it once Rob...didn't like it....

For the Op....

Start off by stealing blinds from Button...when folded to you...try not looking at your cards..(pretend to..)...keep trying small bluffs....you'll soon get used to the feeling and it'll become second nature.....

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

if you have a bag of walkers sensations, ensure that if you eat one when you have the nuts you eat one when you're bluffing to balance the range ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

or just try drugs...!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You're dead right. It's dishonest.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You're dead right. It's dishonest.

...and not in the spirit of things at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

semibluff wrote: »
    you'l find that your heartbeat rises alot when your bluffing.
    when this happens, take deep breaths, like you see when a lady is practising for pregnancy. this will slow down your heart beat alot also and make your more relaxed.

also by standing up it helps your lungs breath easier.

By doing the two of these things, it should really help eliminate this particular physical tell

So next time anyone sees me in the Fitz and I stand up at the table; and start taking deep breaths like a pregnant woman before betting . . .

You'll know I'm bluffing ! ;) Not sure if this will work ?? :confused:

Advertisement