Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Tells - Help

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I did shotokan many years ago for 4 years, the whole idea of this was to avoid people slapping me on the head and making me angry. Usually it was in the form of a block . :) Blocking relaxes you as you then know the bugger is too slow to take you.....if he does mangage to get a slap off, be sure to get angry. There is no point in paying good money so some guru can slap the head off you. Learn to block...

Everybody gets hit, whether in poker, MA or whatever. Learning to deal with the hit (punch or bad beat) and recover quickly can also be decisive.

Too much Tsun Tzu for me!!

for Bluffs, have you tried saying to yourself over and over....I've got the nuts, I've got the nuts. I frequently manage to convince myself of this
    and sometimes leave scratching my head wondering what happened. I think this is becuase my timing is off, it best not to bluff people who actually have the nuts. reenforcement works though. (IMO)

Jedi mind control doesnt work on chimp calling stations, if you keep saying "ive got the nuts" in your head, you usually end up convincing them that they have the nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

appreciate the replies

as thanks check out the Overround thread in the Gambling section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Killme00 wrote: »
    Everybody gets hit, whether in poker, MA or whatever. Learning to deal with the hit (punch or bad beat) and recover quickly can also be decisive.

true but you Can block...

Too much Tsun Tzu for me!!

Jedi mind control doesnt work on chimp calling stations, if you keep saying "ive got the nuts" in your head, you usually end up conving them that they have the nuts.

why would anyone bluff to a calling station......too many slaps on the heasd might do that to you......*learrrrn to block....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

why would anyone bluff to a calling station......too many slaps on the heasd might do that to you......*learrrrn to block....

I'd rather be a chimp than a chump

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Quietly surprised at the amount of martial artists in the poker forum.
    I'm a 2nd dan in Kenpo meself, or was, I stopped training a few years back.

The points about being rolled for the game are extremely valid.
    I've noticed that in certain games, (the €250 deep stack for example) certain players show a lot more nerves in their play and can be fairly easy to pick up on

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Even Muhammed Ali got hit in the head! :)
    Learning to block comes after learning not to lose it entirely and run at the guy with arms flailing LOL!

Really believing you have the nuts can be helpful as pointed out above. I played with HectorJelly one night in Samba's home game god, must 2 years ago at least now. I drunkenly flopped quads with 88 and bet HJ on all streets and reraised all in on the river. HJ dropped it and I mucked. When we started discussing the hand, I told him I had quads. I turned over my two cards in the muck to show some bag of balls. We then turned over all of the muck...not an 8 among it. I'd had 88 the hand before, everyone folded to my raise and I'd forgotten! I was feckin' certain I had had quads and HJ picked up on it! I was, to be fair, mashed. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

DeadParrot wrote: »
    Quietly surprised at the amount of martial artists in the poker forum.
    I'm a 2nd dan in Kenpo meself, or was, I stopped training a few years back.

I did ninjitsu for 7 years, but I was so good at concealment that in the mornings when it came to putting my clothes on I often couldn't find myself, so I had to give it up.

[didn't actually do ninjitsu but just thought of that gag]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I am currently in training to become a red power ranger.Gogo power rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

I am currently in training to become a red power ranger.Gogo power rangers.

cool. lemme know how this goes cos when you become a power ranger i want you to introduce me to the pink ranger!!! hubba hubba!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I hate that don't look at your cards till its your turn its just pros with there glasses(crap),it just takes practice ,at the end of the day its only your hole cards ,if you are able to fold a big pair big draw etc you should have no problem.I think confidence in your game prefolp will continue though every street.

I want to take as much info as I can for as long as I can,i think having a big hand and eventually deciding to fold is allot more important!,Some of this info is pure crap,counting or Jesus Ferguson style is pretty crap unless you really committed your self.

I think the best advice is play some live cheap tours and try and hone your game .

To summarise in two words : practice baby!!

If some one can tell me what to look for in people eyes,what are you looking for?This really gets me someone looking at you?They ask whats IN the pot and whats behind then TRY and stare you down what are you looking for I'm pretty sure I can somersault off the chair and you would not have a clue what going on,just to throw in the line I know I'm behind but I call anyway ,that's just crazy to me,I guess this rant means fish will annoy you, all the tells in the world wont help!

James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on how not to look like a total bluffing gimp when bluffing - sometimes when i bluff i know i look like it eg blushing and just generally looking weak and totally suspect

Ask the boys from fair city on a few tips on acting or alternativley if you are running well enrol yourself into the Gaiety School of Acting. IM SERIOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StephenP023

Are you serious or just joking, if so tell me how you got the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭toHex

Appreciate the replies - good stuff there

And i am going to take some of this advice onboard - so in my next live tournament i am going to pop 2 yokes, a gramme of charlie and down a bottle of cough syrup - reckon this should be enough to throw my opponents,

standard breakfast for any poker weekend imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

I know that I often pretend im counting up the pot if im trying to convince an opponent Im on a draw or weaker than I actually am, it also gives me more time to think about what to do on the next street before the card is dealt, or just think about my opponents possible holdings. There are other examples, this is just one.

I think giving off false tells just leaves you open to giving away tells in later hands. Once someone picks up on the fact that whatever you are doing or saying during a hand is done with the intention of trying to get them to take a certain action, you are giving off tons of tells.

Ok a tell used to give away when looking at my cards, i look at my cards 1 at a time so if the first card is good i look at it a little slower and look at the second one more slowly also, if the first card is low i know i am more likely to be folding so i look at the second card really quickly, so if i decide to play after looking at the second card quickly people who are observant should know that my most likely holdings include small pocket pairs. I reckon only a very small % of people picked up on this, once i noticed i was doing it i stopped and started looking for similar tells from other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Anyone got any tips on how not to look like a total bluffing gimp when bluffing - sometimes when i bluff i know i look like it eg blushing and just generally looking weak and totally suspect

Bluff less. Beginners and people who don't play poker think it is all about bluffing.
    A poor player/beginner will bluff with 25. A more experienced player will bluff with a better hand, something like J9 (called a semi-bluff).

Does your bluff make sense? After a flop of K75, and two players check, you are last to act. A good bet here will more than likely take the pot. But if the first player put in a large bet after the flop, and the second player called, there is no point in you going all-in on a bluff with 34.

Don't bluff a group of players - one will call.
    Don't bluff when you are very low on chips - it doesn't cost much to call you.
    Don't bluff very early in a tournament - many players will call as they can't resist action.
    Don't bluff in early position - with more players behind you it is more likely someone will have a good hand.
    Don't bluff a big stack - they got that stack for a reason - they are good at odds and reading players.

When a beginner has a good hand his hands will shake when he puts in his chips. When a player is very still he often has a good hand. Of course good players will know these tells and try to act them to mislead.

This brings me to the important point that many previous posters got wrong. If you have good cards your heart rate will go up. If you have bad cards you heart rate will remain average. Bluffing does not change this.

I seldom look for this tell, although I used it in Killarney to get away from a pot. The other player's neck pulse was beating hard. Wear a high collar. I did see a very overweight player in Citywest a few years ago almost have a coronary on an AKK flop. He held AK. He was breathing very heavily and obviously eager, excited, and leaning over the table. The players in the pot didn't notice.

I have a cycling heart monitor that I don't use. I might wear it (strap around chest under shirt) to my next tournament to prove this to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

eddiehead wrote: »
    Overall its just best to do as little as possible, try chewing gum, I find it helps prevent me from twitching when im trying to stay still. If your anxious, adrenaline forces you to move, so if you are chewing rather than playing with cards or chips you'll give less away, I do anyway:D

That's bad advice imo. It's usually a huge tell when you suddenly stop chewing/increase the rate of chew.
    Blowing bubbles just means you are playing with girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

i remember when i first made the transition from live to online, occasionally when faced with a tough decision i found myself staring intently at the guys avatar, never got anything out of the ****ers though.

i've done this many times. absurd pointlessness ftw!

re:tells, just bluff mickste as much as possible. use minraises to invoke a burning hateful stare, this will get you ready for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

What are people's opinions of wearing shades in live tournies?

I dont see much advantage in it. You just look like a twat and I personally think it's a sign of weakness.

but what would I know

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

I personally wear them because I like to stare at people when i'm playing. So i prefer looking like a twat with shades than looking like a twat that stares at people for about 5 minutes while I make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Onsberg

When if comes to when to look at your cards, where to look when you are not looking at your cards and so on I try to look at the people who will act after me if some of them tend to look at their cards before I have to act. To me it's more valuable to have an idea of the possible action behind me, than knowing what people might do before me. I'll know what their action is when it is me to act anyway. If you can get this work it will become easier to steal blinds and you will be able to do it from an earlier position.

It's all about gaining information before you have to act, and as everyone before you will already have given away some information (by folding, calling or raising) when it is your turn, the information you can gain from the people behind you is more valuable when making a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Theres a big trade off between information and looking like a tosspot in this area imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

now how about all them fake tells. I love a good nose scratch when i have a bag of bol.lox.

TommyGunne wrote: »
    Theres a big trade off between information and looking like a tosspot in this area imo.

Not a factor for some of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

eddiehead wrote: »
    try chewing gum, I find it helps prevent me from twitching when im trying to stay still. If your anxious, adrenaline forces you to move, so if you are chewing rather than playing with cards or chips you'll give less away, I do anyway:D

This is very good, simple advice. And wear a zip up top which covers a racing neck pulse.

Advertisement