Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with the roundabouts?!

Options
  • 21-07-2008 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

<vent>
    For a city that is chock-full of roundabouts, it is also chock-full or numptys who haven't a freaking clue how to use them!!! Now, maybe somebody will correct me about this one, but when I was a young fella learning to drive, it was drilled into me that when you had 2 lanes going into a roundabout, when you are taking the 1st and 2nd exit you stay in the left lane (indicating left before you come to the roundabout for the 1st exit, and if you're taking the second exit you indicate left after you have passed the 1st exit). Anything after the 2nd exit you take the right lane going into the roundabout, and you indicate right.

Seems pretty straightforward, no? Then will somebody tell me why is Galway full of drivers who will stay in the left lane, not bother with any indicators whatsoever and then proceed to drive all the way around the roundabout and take the 3rd and 4th exits, without so much as a look to see what's going on around them?? I've driven in loads of cities, but Galway seems to take the biscuit when it comes to driving (atrociously) on roundabouts? Can anybody tell me where I can get a hood-mounted rocket launcher for my car please??!

</vent>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Welcome to boards. The way you describe it (as well as the 12 o'clock method) is the right one but indeed, a lot of drivers couldn't care less/don't know.
    Hopefully once they all have full licences it'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »

Whoosh!! :eek:
    :confused:
    .....I think that was a flying pig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Welcome to boards. The way you describe it (as well as the 12 o'clock method) is the right one but indeed, a lot of drivers couldn't care less/don't know.

lolz imo the problem is people who got licenses when there were feck all roundabouts in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lolz imo the problem is people who got licenses when there were feck all roundabouts in the country.

not to mention the ones who got full licences even though they never took a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

hehe Zzippy, I think you're right! Can't see it changing anytime soon!

To be honest, I haven't noticed a pattern of drivers who engage in this practice - I've seen young drivers do it as well as older experienced drivers who *should* know better. I think a lot of it is down to impatience too. Some drivers will look at the queue in the right lane and go "nah, can't be arsed, I'll just stick in the left lane and ignore the rules".

Bugs the bejeebus out of me though! (You can see that I have a lot to be worrying about! :P)

PS. Cheers Biko, good to be here!

• Advertisement

The way I see it is that all the new drivers, getting their licences now, will do it right and also influence their parents or people they share the car with.
    The drivers who just don't care will be picked up by the guards or fender-bender with someone and have to fork out the insurance. Kick them in the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

How come they have ad campaigns about how to overtake safely, but not on the one issue that turns up on boards regularly..... how to navigate roundabouts that do not have nice simple exits at 6,9,12 & 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The feckin worst are the taxi drivers. I think twice in 6 years in Galway have I seen them bastids indicate on a roundabout. It's a disgrace and shocking dangerous for anyone trying to cross the road at roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

Biko, I wish I had your optimism in the Guards picking up these gobshi-ites on the roundabouts! Admittedly I've only been in Galway for a few years, but I've yet to see anybody being pulled up for driving like a tit around a roundabout. :( Sure, the guards probably do it themselves, the cads! And like yourself, I'd like to think that learners will influence their parents with good driving practices. But I can see 3 problems with that; 1) A fair few learners get their first driving lessons FROM their parents, so the influence goes the other way at the start. 2) If parents the world over are anything like my own parents, they are likely to be extremely stuck in their ways and not willing to make any change to their norm! ;) 3) Like I said before, sheer impatience. I think in a lot of cases the drivers know bloody well which lane they should be in, but can't be arsed joining the queue in the right lane.

Marges, yeah admittedly there are some confusing roundabouts in Ireland, but I do think that the majority of them in Galway city are of the garden-variety-4-exits-type. There is NO excuse for the level of muppetry that goes on! And yeah, you are spot on about the blind spot that seems to exist in driver training about using roundabouts correctly and safely.

Kev - Yeah, I did notice that about Taxi's alright, probably the worst of the lot! Transit Van drivers come in a close second!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I see people manys a time on the Tuam road roundabout, on the N6 faceing to town via the ring road. In the left hand lane, indicating right, getting past the 1st exit, and then indicating left...

If your going straight through a round about, theres no logic in indicating right. I always assums this tool beside me is gonna go on a trip around the roundabout in the outside lane! Awful stupidity.

On a slightly side note, the roundabout up Sean Mulvoy road / sandy road / Tuam Road / bohermore road / that road down to the eye cinema! The worst roundabout at 5pm in galway! Traffic parks on the roundabout, and unless you get an on the ball driver stopping on the roundabout, you'll get blocked off!
    Its my route home from work so its a right auld pain, luckily bohermore road (my exit) is never too busy so I can always get on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

kevmy wrote: »
    The feckin worst are the taxi drivers. I think twice in 6 years in Galway have I seen them bastids indicate on a roundabout. It's a disgrace and shocking dangerous for anyone trying to cross the road at roundabouts

Its not only in Galway, taxi drivers in general seem to do what ever the hell they like on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

On a slightly side note, the roundabout up Sean Mulvoy road / sandy road / Tuam Road / bohermore road / that road down to the eye cinema! The worst roundabout at 5pm in galway! Traffic parks on the roundabout, and unless you get an on the ball driver stopping on the roundabout, you'll get blocked off!
    Its my route home from work so its a right auld pain, luckily bohermore road (my exit) is never too busy so I can always get on to it.

I presume your talking about cemetery cross. That roundabout is way to small for the amount of traffic it handles. A larger roundabout there would solve a lot of the problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

So so true about the Bohermore roundabout - it's incredibly dangerous, as well as being a pain in the ass. I've been caught on the Mulvoy road for 45 minutes simply because the roundabout is too small to cope with all that traffic.

In relation to people indicating or not on roundabouts, I'm a young driver with only a year's experience but I know for a fact I am better on roundabouts than my parents, because they never had formal lessons, live in the country where there are very few roundabouts, and there were very few roundabouts in Ireland when they were learning to drive. People do need to be educated on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I'm not sure if people conciously decide there going to go around to the third or fourth exit to avoid sitting in a Q.

It's just too dangerous to do (if you know what you are at) as you you will cut someone off on the inside and they will most likely have to hammer on the brakes. I'd imagine this is how most crashes happen on roundabouts.

I have really seen some mad stuff though in Galway....was coming out from tesco on the roundabout with lights and someone took a right. This was in the evening at a really busy time! Took the plank 5 mins to turn around. Where did she learn how to drive?

I wonder would you see something like that in any other countries?

I also saw a woman drive the wrong way up a dual carraigeway...probably other things that aren't coming to mind right now aswell but to get back to the point.....I would say Irish driving will not improve unless some fundamental things are changed. Irish people just couldn't give a f*ck really.....apart from me and a small minority (I mean small).

I'm sure there's plenty of people on this board who are guilty of all this sh*t too.
    Will you change your ways? Probably not cause you couldn't give a f*ck either.

Oh yeah and what about people who arrive at a roundabout and decide to drive there car right onto the roundabout crossing the white line with their whole car completely blocking your view in the other lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I drive on the left lane then go round the roundabout to turn right at the eye cinema roundabout (Ffrench roundabout?), if i am coming from college road at rush hour as you get the idiots turning the right lane and roundabout into a carpark because they won't use the two bloody lanes outside the eye.

Its actually safer to do this as you sail up the left around the traffic and straight down the merging lane, your not sat on the roundabout praying someone doesnt come into your backside (I will add that in any other case or time of day I wouldn't dream of doing this if the traffic is moving more than 5mph).

And for idiotic driving I give you the woman who I saw recently at set of red lights on the Tesco roundabout realise she had gone too far round so reversed back around the roundabout into oncoming traffic to take the entrance she had just passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

If your going straight through a round about, theres no logic in indicating right. I always assums this tool beside me is gonna go on a trip around the roundabout in the outside lane! Awful stupidity.

TBH I actually do this, because when I did not a fair few times I narrowly avoided a crash as the person on the inside attempts to take the second exit. I would have assumed it was actually good practice. Then again I was similarly drilled in the 12/after 12, left/right lane setup and feel it is much better to indicate to let people know what you are actually intending to do. A flashing light is better then nothing to attract someone's attention.

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    TBH I actually do this, because when I did not a fair few times I narrowly avoided a crash as the person on the inside attempts to take the second exit. I would have assumed it was actually good practice. Then again I was similarly drilled in the 12/after 12, left/right lane setup and feel it is much better to indicate to let people know what you are actually intending to do. A flashing light is better then nothing to attract someone's attention.

I think it is actually the correct thing to do.(will have to check the ROTR) I was actually thought this by my instructor albeit he was fairly rubbish.

I used to always do it but stopped after reading others complaining about it.

It's not an easy one as it seems to cause as many problems using it as not using it. And seeing as no-one seems to use indicators or understand what they do anyway you may just be a little better off not using them. (depending on what grade of clown is on the inside - unfortunately no way to measure)

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    But your indicating to a direction you arnt going, which doesnt help anyone. Indicating right, im assuming your going past the 12 o' clock exit. No indicator, im assuming your taking a 2nd or later exit, but before the 12 o' clock exit.

But your indicating to a direction you arnt going, which doesnt help anyone. Indicating right, im assuming your going past the 12 o' clock exit. No indicator, im assuming your taking a 2nd or later exit, but before the 12 o' clock exit.

It helps me!! I like to know what everyone is doing when I arrive at a roundabout. :mad:

You have to assume there taking the second exit.

But upon entering a roundabout, if you see someone to your left indicating right, what do you assume? as far as you see it, they could be taking any exit except the 1st one.
    on the other hand, if someone to your left doesnt indicate, you assume they are going straight on or the 1st exit because you cant see the indicator on the other side of the car.

Either way, neither of us are certain where that car is going. If they have their right indicator on and on the roundabout it goes off, how am I to know they have switched to the left indicator, or if it was just knocked off automatically while turning.

I would assume theyve indicated to go right (all the way around the roundabout) and thus have to watch em like a hawk to see what their doing until safe.
    Im guessing you would assume they have switched to the left indicator and are turning off, but theres always a chance they're not.

I think the simple way to sort this out, marking on the roads! Arrows saying which lane goes where! Lough Rea bypass used to be a disaster with people using any entrance to the roundabouts. Its still poor, the arrows are too late.
    Tescos roundabout, its a bit of a mad one, but I find if you stick to your lane and follow your arrows, its all good.

• Advertisement

But upon entering a roundabout, if you see someone to your left indicating right, what do you assume? as far as you see it, they could be taking any exit except the 1st one.
    on the other hand, if someone to your left doesnt indicate, you assume they are going straight on or the 1st exit because you cant see the indicator on the other side of the car.

Either way, neither of us are certain where that car is going. If they have their right indicator on and on the roundabout it goes off, how am I to know they have switched to the left indicator, or if it was just knocked off automatically while turning.

I would assume theyve indicated to go right (all the way around the roundabout) and thus have to watch em like a hawk to see what their doing until safe.
    Im guessing you would assume they have switched to the left indicator and are turning off, but theres always a chance they're not.

I think the simple way to sort this out, marking on the roads! Arrows saying which lane goes where! Lough Rea bypass used to be a disaster with people using any entrance to the roundabouts. Its still poor, the arrows are too late.
    Tescos roundabout, its a bit of a mad one, but I find if you stick to your lane and follow your arrows, its all good.

Your probably thinking too much. Just drive your car the right way (alertly) and hope someone doesn't do something stupid.

If there indicating right in the left lane at all then there most likely a decent driver....the dumb f8cks will be the ones not indicating at all. So just assume there taking the second exit and go about your own business. :)

Arrows??? Meh. The real answer lies in the licensing and education system and then enforcement on the roads of course. The people that don't give a fu*k will try anything and don't care about finding out the right way to do things...They should be forced.

Don't get me wrong either. I'm not one for a complete and outright police state but these ones are elementary and should be followed by all means.

Your probably thinking too much. Just drive your car the right way (alertly) and hope someone doesn't do something stupid.
    Been there done that, and when someone cuts infront of you and you catch the back/side of them, your the one to blame! Not you specifically, that'd just suck! Its happened to me!
    Arrows???
    Arrows do the business for me. Easy to understand, the mess that is the red cow is a good example! (arrows on signs but its the same idea)
    The real answer lies in the licensing and education system and then enforcement on the roads of course.
    Too true, but last I looked, this is far from an ideal world and in my opinion, thats little more then a fantasy!

Been there done that, and when someone cuts infront of you and you catch the back/side of them, your the one to blame! Not you specifically, that'd just suck! Its happened to me!

What? If he cut across in front of you it should be his fault??

What kind of world do we live in!

What? If he cut across in front of you it should be his fault??

What kind of world do we live in!

Too true! I was shocked! Should of got the guards out, but I was so sure it would definatly go my way!

1500 beans claim! Thank got it as a sh!ty micra

Too true! I was shocked! Should of got the guards out, but I was so sure it would definatly go my way!

1500 beans claim! Thank got it as a sh!ty micra

Tell me what happened exactly.
    Was this in Galway?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad:

I'd go f8ckin mental if someone tried to claim off me for their stupidity.

Art_Wolf, workaccount et al
    Don't indicate right in the left lane when you intend go across the Rbt.
    Bad practice which confuses everyone else.
    "Is he indicating right but means left? Is he confused where he's going? Is he drunk?"

Don't blame the system - there is a system ROTR that you are not following, thus adding to the problem. Follow the ROTR and don't second guess other drivers.

roundabout_straight.jpg
    "Stay in the left hand lane, but do not indicate "left" until you have passed the first exit/the exit before the one you intend to take.
    Where conditions permit, usually on larger roundabouts, you may follow the course shown by the broken line."
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Here lies the problem, Workaccount likes to indicate right when going straight ahead because it MAKES HIM FEEL SAFE despite the fact it is completely incorrect.......to sum up ME ME ME.

Nothing against you personally but your driving attitude sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Don't blame the system - there is a system ROTR that you are not following, thus adding to the problem. Follow the ROTR and don't second guess other drivers.

Problem is the vast majority of drivers do not follow this - a huge amount try to guess what you are doing in the left hand lane and decide to take the right land in the hope you are going to take the first exit, allowing them to ease in and take the second exit. Indeed this is where I would say the majority of accidents occur as they speed off to get in front of the left hand lane driver.

Maybe that uncertainty over what I am doing would make them pause and not attempt such dangerous driving - uncertainty has proven to make people more cautious drivers.

Anyway if people do not follow the system then there is obviously a problem and until such time that the system is understood I feel allot safer on the road broadcasting my intentions. Real world, knowing you were in the right is great but does not help if your car is out of action until you get your claim sorted and garage fixes the car.

padi89 wrote: »
    Here lies the problem, Workaccount likes to indicate right when going straight ahead because it MAKES HIM FEEL SAFE despite the fact it is completely incorrect.......to sum up ME ME ME.

wtf are you on about....I don't do it anymore...I was told initally it was the right thing to do...perhaps for the reason art wolf says.

padi89 wrote: »

My driving attitude??? How narrow minded are you... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

wtf are you on about....I don't do it anymore...I was told initally it was the right thing to do...perhaps for the reason art wolf says.

My driving attitude??? How narrow minded are you... :P

Fair enough if you don't do it anymore my apologies i read incorrectly.Its OK you dont suck :)

Looking back i should have quoted Art Wolf......oooops

Advertisement