Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with the roundabouts?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is that not because the inside lane ends after 100m or so outside the G hotel and those choosing the inside lane will need a motorist in the outside lane to let them in?

So why then are idiots merging straight off the roundabout? There are two exit lanes there for a reason, to keep this busy exit moving and to keep stationary vehicles off the roundabout.By everybody jumping into the outside lane they put the traffic on the roundabout at a stand still.Merging should not occur until further up the exit, there is a big ferking yellow sign to say so.The ironic thing is if people were all to use one correct lane they should be using the inside lane :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cole wrote: »
    Since I moved here, I have often tried to figure out why it is so bad...lots of inexperienced student drivers? Appalling Garda presence? etc.

I think a lot of drivers are just following each others bad habits and have started to believe that what they are doing is correct. e.g. turning right at roundabouts, while in inside lane...nearly eveyone does it here.

Same here. I think all those are true. When talking to locals, I've politely said that I think lots of people are still driving the same way they did ten years ago, even though the population has doubled since then.

Of course that doesn't make what they were doing ten years ago right ... but it was less troublesome then because the traffic volumes were lower.

I do think the road design/engineering has a lot to do with it too: most of the roads here weren't designed for anything like the volumes they're carrying now. And that's partly to do with how local government and roading is funded ... I don't believe that funding has followed population at all.

Advertisement