Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The General" - Hero or Villain

• 21-07-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I've just finished reading the book "The General" by Paul Williams, and I have to say alot of it was very amusing, the stuff he got up to and got away with certainly made me laugh. Considering he was not a drug dealer like the scum of modern times makes him that bit more like able. IMO

So do people think he is a legend of Irish criminal history and generally an ordinary decent criminal or just another low life who got what was coming to him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

He was a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Where's the Atari Jaguar option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

A knacker that is portrayed as a legend.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Easy one. Criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

He was a violent criminal.
    Nothing really heroic about him.

Ok, some of the stuff was a bit funny (The petrol thing), but mostly he was just a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

99% scumbag, 1% funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bit of a genius but 100% scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

He nailed some lad to the floor (or was it a pool table?), blew up a scientist who was going to testiify against him, bullied a hot dog vendor out of business, scared a little girl out of testyfing against a fella who raped her. And that's just highlights.

He was a scumbag criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Just another low life although having movies made about you isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A scumbag who robbed from people and justified it by portraying himself as Robin Hood.

And who was totally glamourised by John Boorman.

He was a total scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

He seems like a good laugh to be on your side but I wouldn't recommend him not liking you.
    I think he was cool:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Low life piece of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

So do people think he is a legend of Irish criminal history and generally an ordinary decent criminal or just another low life who got what was coming to him.
    ODC? He was scum. Obviously you flicked over the part in William's book that described how he held a 72 year old woman living in a flat on Lesson Street prisoner for 36 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Scum of the lowest kind. He put over 100 ordinary working class people on the dole after the O'Conners robbery. Add that to the above crimes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭KINGofHEARTS

ODC? He was scum. Obviously you flicked over the part in William's book that described how he held a 72 year old woman living in a flat on Lesson Street prisoner for 36 hours.

Obviously you flicked over the part where he kept them for 12 hours and assured them they be alright and brought them several cups of tea and biscuits and made sure they were looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Considering he was not a drug dealer like the scum of modern times makes him that bit more like able. IMO

Ever smoked a spliff? Probably. Who the fcuk do you think brought it into the country? Howard Marks or some other jolly boys?

http://republican-news.org/archive/1998/May28/28film.html

While the source is somewhat biased it quotes Williams as stating Cahill, while not directly handling drugs, was fronting payments. Hardly for the good of his health Id imagine, I presume he wanted a return. After all this was the early 90s. Heroin (along with ecstasy) was becoming big money again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He is an absolute pox ridden scum bag. His ilk should be wiped off the face of the planet. Not applauded in reactionary nonsense because he comes across as some sort of modern Peter Pan or something.
    An absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Obviously you flicked over the part where he kept them for 12 hours and assured them they be alright and brought them several cups of tea and biscuits and made sure they were looked after.
    Oh. That's alright then.

Scumbag. (him, not you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

He's a pure Scangaraguan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Here_Young_Wan

Pure horrible scumbag.....why people glorify him is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I like Brendan Gleeson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

I've just finished reading the book "The General" by Paul Williams, and I have to say alot of it was very amusing, the stuff he got up to and got away with certainly made me laugh. Considering he was not a drug dealer like the scum of modern times makes him that bit more like able. IMO

he's a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

oh what a martyr- he kidnapped n old woman but at least she was kept in tea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Total low life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget the Atari option where the TROLL box for ticking?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Even the worms wouldn't eat him ...................................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Considering he was not a drug dealer like the scum of modern times makes him that bit more like able.

Sinn Feinner / scrounger alarm activated. Why do your sort always prefer psychopaths to drug dealers? Does the thought of entrepeneurial activity make you come out in hives? Pleb friend overdosed? Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

A murdering scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Dirty piece of scum who ultimately got what he deserved - a bullet in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I think he was great tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think you're great tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Great meaning large or immense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

we use it in the perjorative sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I think you're great tbh.

likewise. let's elope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I thought he was good in Harry Potter.

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Ever smoked a spliff? Probably. Who the fcuk do you think brought it into the country? Howard Marks or some other jolly boys?

http://republican-news.org/archive/1998/May28/28film.html

While the source is somewhat biased it quotes Williams as stating Cahill, while not directly handling drugs, was fronting payments. Hardly for the good of his health Id imagine, I presume he wanted a return. After all this was the early 90s. Heroin (along with ecstasy) was becoming big money again.
    Cahill brought hash into Ireland?
    that's stretching it a bit.
    He would only have been a child when that first became profitable here and would only have been small fry when heroin reared its ugly head.
    Heroin was introduced in large quantities by some family whose name I can't remember right now.

Nermal wrote: »
    Sinn Feinner / scrounger alarm activated. Why do your sort always prefer psychopaths to drug dealers? Does the thought of entrepeneurial activity make you come out in hives? Pleb friend overdosed? Do tell.

Cahill wasn't exactly a popular person with Sinn Fein or the IRA.
    He had dealings with loyalist terrorists.

Just a reminder here guys...

1) I didn't say I wanted to dig him up and suck him off...

2) I just simply said his antics playing the law the way he did amused me and I found it funny how one man could get so much play over an entire police force

Nemal... you make me laugh

Kold wrote: »
    I thought he was good in Harry Potter.
    Terry wrote: »
    He would only have been a child when that first became profitable here and would only have been small fry when heroin reared its ugly head.
    Heroin was introduced in large quantities by some family whose name I can't remember right now.

I know the name ... am I allowed post it here ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Complete sumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Kingofhearts can you pm me the name of the family.

I cant remember for the life of me and its driving me crazy. I can only remember one of the brothers first names.

Cahill was behind the scenes in the drugs trade which is something a lot of people dont know. He fronted a lot of big payments for drug shipments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Kingofhearts can you pm me the name of the family.

I cant remember for the life of me and its driving me crazy. I can only remember one of the brothers first names.

Cahill was behind the scenes in the drugs trade which is something a lot of people dont know. He fronted a lot of big payments for drug shipments.

How do you know?

Terry wrote: »

I know the name ... am I allowed post it here ???
    Yes.
    It's well documented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Out and out scum, the only tragedy is that he didn't end up in a prison rotting away.

I hate when he's presented as some kind of working class hero, he's the very opposite. If, as people now believe, the bloke was involved in selling heroin- how could he be any kind of Robin Hood type hero? Heroin wrecks communities.

pondlife at best.

Oh yeah.
    Wasn't the loyalist deal something to do with drugs?

Say what you will about the IRA, but they really did limit the supply and distribution in the North for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Yazacoo

Oh yes because when ppl are innocently imprisoned its great to have yer ol' cup of tea like!

It was funny what he did with the Vermeer.
    but he was a scumbag with a flare for extravagance. No doubht about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement