Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCanns cleared in Madeline case

• 21-07-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Sky News:

The investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance has been closed and her parents cleared of any involvement, the Portuguese Attorney General has announced.

Madeleine McCann went missing in May 2007

The case has been closed because of lack of evidence but could be reopened at any time if important information comes to light, according to Fernando Pinto Monteiro's office.

The 14-month investigation uncovered no evidence of a crime by the three people named as arguidos or official suspects, Kate and Gerry McCann and Robert Murat.

Madeleine's parents and Mr Murat have now had their arguido status lifted.

Mr and Mrs McCann are "relieved" to be cleared of any involvement in the disappearance of Madeleine, their spokesman Clarence Mitchell said.

But he added that there is "no air of celebration" at hearing the news.

"They should never have been arguidos. The fact that they have emerged from
    this without being charged proves that."

He added: "The main thing now is to get everything back to finding Madeleine.

"All of this has damaged their good reputations and they will have to assess where they go from here.

"The only thing they care about is finding Madeleine. We hope that the Portuguese authorities will continue to cooperate with their private investigation."

Sky's crime correspondent Martin Brunt said the couple would be hoping to find new leads from the police file on the case.

Speaking from Praia da Luz, the resort where Madeleine disappeared from in May last year, he said: "The McCanns and their lawyers will still be anticipating that they should get an early sight of the police file, enough to give them and their private investigators new leads to follow.

"Everything in that file will have been investigated by Portuguese authorities to some degree.

"But the McCanns think there is a possibility in some areas that their own investigators can do better."

Thoughts? I still think the parents know more then they're letting on. Their behavior on some TV reports was bizzare to sat the least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

something was amiss with their story
    i always found them very cold on tv etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Good thing I deleted that thread a few months ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Terry wrote: »

Still too early for jokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Why?

dfx- wrote: »
    Still too early for jokes?
    PM Rabies or Hagar for access to lolocaust.

Why?

There was quite a few posts in it which could be considered slanderous given this ruling.

• Advertisement

There was quite a few posts in it which could be considered slanderous given this ruling.

Ah ok, I was wondering where it went.

Ah ok, I was wondering where it went.
    I was given a heads up about possible legal action.
    That's all I can really say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I just wonder what happened that kid.

It will unsolved mystery the world will just have to live with.

She just disappeared of the face of the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The Portugese police force have shown themselves to be thoroughly incompetant so I don't particularly care what they say at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

She just disappeared of the face of the planet.

like thousands of others each year.

• Advertisement

minxie1 wrote: »
    yeah i felt the same and you have explore all possible leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

like thousands of others each year.

Yeah, but they aren't little white blonde girls so we don't care about them apparently

orestes wrote: »
    Yeah, but they aren't little white blonde girls so we don't care about them apparently
    And the fact that she was an English girl in a foreign country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Rb wrote: »
    The McCann's have shown themselves to be thoroughly incompetant so I don't particularly care what they say at this point.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oh noes - here we go again .....................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Whether or not they physically harmed her they're still responsible for her disapperance.
    At least now hopefully we won't have to see their faces every time we open a paper and their pathetic pleas for sympathy.
    "The McCann's have shown themselves to be thoroughly incompetant so I don't particularly care what they say at this point."

Fixed that for you.

Nail on the head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I was waiting for a punch line in the OP. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"They should never have been arguidos. The fact that they have emerged from
    this without being charged proves that.".

How does he figure they should never have been suspects? With the complete lack of anything pointing to anybody else, the people cloest have to be the most likely suspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

\o/

Safe at last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tis pretty sad that nobody has been caught for this. I guess unless there's some remarkable relevation/confession, we're not likely to see anyone go to jail for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Mirror wrote: »
    \o/

Safe at last!

There's your confession from Mirror, Dave!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Oh joy. Another excuse for them to be on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I've forwarded his comments on to the Portugese police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A banal observation.

I remember a case in the UK a number of years back where a woman stabbed her bf to death in his car at the side of a motorway and tried to blame it on a black guy and an incident of road-rage.

During a press-conference to find the mystery killer she broke down in floods of tears. One of the detectives involved in the case said in a later interview that this was a red-light to him, as usually close-relatives don't go into fits of histrionics at press-conferences, and this alerted the police that she was a prime-suspect.

In this Big Brother/Hello media era, you'll obviously be disappointed if you see the parents of an abducted child on TV and they don't perform just as how you'd expect them to. Remember that psychologically grief and trauma have more of an initial numbing effect.

Your argument is basically the same one that crucified the parents of Jonbenet Ramsey and labeled them as killers.

Obviously your assessment is typical of the general viewing public and would suggest that parents of abducted children should undergo a course in media PR before being allowed to make any appeals to the public for information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

orestes wrote: »

Oh for the love of Jeff.

Sir, please turn off your computer and step away from the internet.

If you can find me a case of a black child in England who went missing in similiar circumstances (i.e. kidnapped by a stranger as opposed to going missing with relatives as seen in the vast majority of the cases) I will fellate you. Passionately. I dont doubt this has happened in the US. However, there has never been a case of a blacl kid being kidnapped and never seen again that only made the side of page 37 of The Sun, and I bet my house on it.

Funny thing being it is seemingly mainly white keyboard warriors coming up with this guff.

As for the Madeleine case, why the fcuk have they never been charged with manslaughter via neglect?

Has all the charity money been accounted for?

The whole thing was sick, and Id love to see them in court for it. She is dead for the sake of 12 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    She is dead for the sake of 12 euro.

Do you know something we dont?

Loads of kids go missing in Europe. Its just that the McCanns decided to completely public with there case. Thats why it received so much attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

turgon wrote: »

Price of a couple of hours in the creché?

I hate the way they use the word 'arguido' - it means suspect, and its English media using the term, why not say 'suspect'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think kate McCann went into shut down after maddie had dissapeared ,hence her 'so called ' lack of emotion shown during the days weeks , months after her childs disappearance.Just thinking that your child is going to wake up every day with strangers far away ,hoepfully treating her right and the child wondering were her parents are would drive any mother to distraction or as i say a ' shut down ' of emotions ,as a defence mechanisim and her way coping with such grief .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A banal observation.

I remember a case in the UK a number of years back where a woman stabbed her bf to death in his car at the side of a motorway and tried to blame it on a black guy and an incident of road-rage.

During a press-conference to find the mystery killer she broke down in floods of tears. One of the detectives involved in the case said in a later interview that this was a red-light to him, as usually close-relatives don't go into fits of histrionics at press-conferences, and this alerted the police that she was a prime-suspect.

In this Big Brother/Hello media era, you'll obviously be disappointed if you see the parents of an abducted child on TV and they don't perform just as how you'd expect them to. Remember that psychologically grief and trauma have more of an initial numbing effect.

Your argument is basically the same one that crucified the parents of Jonbenet Ramsey and labeled them as killers.

Obviously your assessment is typical of the general viewing public and would suggest that parents of abducted children should undergo a course in media PR before being allowed to make any appeals to the public for information.
    +1 - Lindy Chamberlain, the innocent mother in the dingo case, was crucified for her lack of emotion and apparent "coldness".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

turgon wrote: »

The childminder service cost 12 per hour.

He is a surgeon.

She is a GP.

Id reckon she is on a minimum of 80,000 per year, he would be on anything between 100 and 300k. They are a truly awful pair of people.
    Loads of kids go missing in Europe. Its just that the McCanns decided to completely public with there case. Thats why it received so much attention.

It god Europe wide publicity but tbh I doubt it took up 10 mins per night oif German news coverage. Besides, it happened in an area where people from all over Europe were passing thru and may have had info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stekelly wrote: »
    How does he figure they should never have been suspects? With the complete lack of anything pointing to anybody else, the people cloest have to be the most likely suspects.

That was a quote from their spokesman, so it was a bit expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Maybe they were emotionally drained? After tragedies many people feel nothing for a long time, can't cry or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe they were emotionally drained? After tragedies many people feel nothing for a long time, can't cry or anything.

Or maybe they did it? See that works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Glad to hear they've been officially cleared. i didn't like them much but it was a tragedy for them that they lost their daughter. For a time i suspected they might be involved, so i'm glad that they're no longer suspects. Maybe some day their mystery will be solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

The parents are at the very least negligent.

However they have paid the highest price possible for their lack of care, and they know that they are responsible. Hence their insistence that they did nothing wrong before all the cameras.

Of course the price they paid is nothing compared to the price Madeline paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

CtrlSource wrote: »
    it was a tragedy for them that they lost their daughter.

Such a shame it couldn't be prevented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RiotO

I'm glad to see them cleared. I could never bring myself to believe that they were involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭birdie08

In fairness, how is one to behave when they find out thier wee girl has been abducted! Do we all show the same common emotion? How often have you seen people behave somewhat "strange and abnormally calm" when a loved one has passed???
    In addition, the finger was pointed at them so they didnt just have to deal with the loss of their daughter but alos the possibility that they were murderers!! Their whole life was on the front of a paper.....so of course they are going to portray an emotion of mixed feelings and an emotion which society most likely wont accept cause its not " normal"..what is "NORMAL"?:confused:

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Such a shame it couldn't be prevented.
    A voice of reason (albeit sarcastic) in a thread full of back peddalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

Dudess wrote: »
    +1 - Lindy Chamberlain, the innocent mother in the dingo case, was crucified for her lack of emotion and apparent "coldness".

Joanne Lees was another. The media tore her apart for the exact same qualities - cold, emotionless in the wake of her boyfriend's murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Remember, just because they've been cleared as suspects for the time being (I truly wonder how much effort the Portugese police are putting in here) doesn't mean they didn't do it, it just means they're more likely to get away with it.

As far as I'm concerned, something would have appeared or someone would have came forward if she were truly kidnapped by a paedophile ring.

Bizarre story nonetheless but the world has moved on and it'd be best if the media stopped giving those two attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dtwhaler

I'm sick of hearing about this pair. If it was a single mum from a bad area who's child had been taken she'd have been cricified by the media. You regularly see some rough looking young one getting into bother for smacking a child who had wandered out of sight and was therefore at risk.
    Dunno why these two got away with the neglect ?? You cant lock kids somewhere and leave them there ... no matter how often you're checking ! What if a fire broke out somewhere in the building ? I genuinely feel sorry for the kid but even if the parents didnt do any physical harm themselves ..... they know they're guilty. Dunno why the authorities dont. Its different rules for different classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 upsyndrome

No ones disagreeing that thier not bad people but they most probaly didnt slaughter thier daughter, we can rest there

not to mention the profits from tshirt sales merchandise and charity drives (which I bleive to be over a million)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Remember, just because they've been cleared as suspects for the time being (I truly wonder how much effort the Portugese police are putting in here) doesn't mean they didn't do it, it just means they're more likely to get away with it.

As far as I'm concerned, something would have appeared or someone would have came forward if she were truly kidnapped by a paedophile ring.

Bizarre story nonetheless but the world has moved on and it'd be best if the media stopped giving those two attention.
    If it wasnt such a big story the world media circus would focus there attention on something else .The original portugese senior police officer in charge of the case today back tracked over his negitive comments about the british police saying on tv today '' that british and portugese polie units worked very well together on the case.'' Not forgetting that it was portugese incompetence that screwed up any important evidence by not preserving the crime scene correctly and also giving tip off's to the portugese media about the case .

As for not being adducted by paedophile ring , how does anybody except the police and other senior in the know people , know how paedophile rings operate ?

Whatever the McCanns are guilty of imo ,it's not assisting in the aduction of their child.It anything good has come out of this whole tragedy it's that people are more aware of the dangers that have always being out there and maybe it's to be hoped of course ,more protective of their children .It's took this case to bring it more to the fore and there but for the grace of god go we .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

As far as I'm concerned, something would have appeared or someone would have come forward if she were truly killed by her parents and the body hastily removed to a secure place before the media circus erupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EcoGirl

dtwhaler wrote: »
    IYou cant lock kids somewhere and leave them there ... What if a fire broke out somewhere in the building ?

In fairness they didn't lock the kids into the room. That's cos, being responsible parents, they thought of the fire risk same as you have. So they left the door unlocked so the kids could get out in case of fire. Three year olds being well known for their calmness in such situations and their skills at getting baby siblings out the door :confused:

And of course, the unlocked door is what made it so easy for the abductor.

I agree with all who say they should be charged with neglect. It WAS neglect.

The childminder service cost 12 per hour.

He is a surgeon.

She is a GP.

And to add; neither would have been touched by the media if they were chavs from Manchester (ala jeremy kyle guests) except to expose them for been neglectful chavs from Manchester.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Looks like they got away with it.Two more kids to get rid of and they'll be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Oh for the love of Jeff.

Sir, please turn off your computer and step away from the internet.

Funny thing being it is seemingly mainly white keyboard warriors coming up with this guff.

Missing white woman syndrome

• Advertisement
Advertisement