Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carriers, Pairgains and isdn

Options
  • 21-07-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello
    I've just spent the last few hours going through some old threads here on boards going back as far as 2003 on dial-up and carrires and all things pstn and know this subject has been well covered but i'd still like to get a take on my own situation.

Im back to dial-up after been with all 3 mobile providers but a few weeks back a freind said he would have a word with a mate of his at eircom to try and get me taken out of a carrier but nothing seems to have been done yet and i was wondering what is needed to be done for me to be taken out of a carrier?

is the work done at the exchange or do they have to come out to where i live and put in new copper or do some work at the poles where i live? broadband is available where i live and all my neighbours have it and i was hopeing to get the line 400yrds down the road that has broadband but the house has been knocked down so its a good option.

My dial-up speed has gone from 16.2 this time last year to a steady 31.2kbps btw:rolleyes:. Would ordering isdn be a way to go to get dsl perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

At 31k dialup I don't think you're on a pairgain, might be the case that since last year you have been given a line thats not on a pairgain but you just aren't close enough, have a good enough line or have problems with internal wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd agree, 31k sounds more like longish line than pair gain.

Disconnect EVERYTHING except modem and see does it get better. More than 33k is an indication that a line might pass DSL.

It could even be a poor joint in local cabinet near your house. Ring someone with good DSL and then no-one talk and listen for crackles. The Dial tone is too loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Maybe if you reported a line fault with eircom. Tell them that you can hear crackling on the line or something. When the engineer comes out he'll check all the wiring coming into the house and will hopefully find the fault.

Then give it a few weeks and see if the line can support broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dialupjoe

Thankyou for the responce lads. I forgot to mention that my line was given a may be suitble reading on eircoms pre-qual and so i placed the order and got the netopia modem/router from eircom this morning but no joy:(

Called my mate and he said the work order was sent back to eircom by the local tech as there wasn't enough copper, there was to much work to be done, he had'nt got the time etc etc...:(...:(

Im 4k's from the exchange and it turns out the every 3rd house fails the line-checker on my rd with the pole been more or less in my garden i can see 2 pairgains on the pole with my line comeing from one of them.

Im not gona get into the heartace of broadband woes here lads as its a wate of time as you all know but im so close here i can't let it go and i think i may go mad if i don't stop thinking of possible ways around this situation.

What would you do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yo Joe

You need to

1. disconnect all internal wiring, leave the main socket only , does this up the speed from 31k , if so try the broadband again ...( did they leave you this 'useless' modem ? )

2. after disconnecting internal wiring and if there is no speed jump ring in fault , crackling or echo (or both) on voice calls .

3. when the engineer (eventually) comes out to repair this 'fault' then beg and plead , the problem is getting the engineer out they are usually sound if they do come .

4. Get some damn fine coffee in for the man , no cheap crap . Fresh Muffins too .!!!!

At 4k distance and 31k dialup it seems it can be fixed , however messy an long a job it is .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Why not go to one of your neighbours who can get BB and if they have BB ask them if they are willing to share, and if they dont have BB ask them if they are interested in having BB, and if so you will go half on the cost or pay the whole cost.

All you will have to do is set up a small wireless network between the two houses, which shouldnt be too hard if they are close enough. Take matters into your own hands.

I haved something like this where I am living, works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

snip: Take matters into your own hands. snip

Visions of a long section of rope and a heavy vehicle attached to the other end... that pulls off slowly :D

Advertisement