Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Fighting!

Options
  • 21-07-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

As I posted a few days ago, I recently got a new kitten. The problem here is our one year old cat (who is/ was spoiled rotten) has absolutely no interest in the new kitten, but the new kitten is banana's about her. Always jumping at her, or crying when she isn't in the room, eating her food etc. Anyways, the cat seems to be in a bit of a sulk as when she's indoors she has no peace, as the kitten is always annoying her or ambushing her, and when we remove the kitten she gets sulky so I can't really win. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cats don't do change very well, neither are they too keen on competition (initially)

Give it time, they should sort themselves out after a while. Do step in though, when it gets too wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Only step in when it's absoluately necessary. The sooner they sort things out between themselves the better. But they will only sort it out the "cat" way and any human intervention will only prolong things!!! I introduced a two year old to a six year old about three months ago. The first couple of weeks went really well and then things seemed to get worse. I did panic a bit until I was advised to leave them to it and I did! The older cat got a bit aggressive a couple of times but I think he was just putting the new cat in her place - not that she was bother, she was only out for the fun of it all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Unless they are tearing lumps out of each other, I wouldn't interfere. They will sort it out themselves. I'm always introducing foster kittens to my own 7. The kittens usually behave exactly like you're describing & my lot put them in their place & mind them.

Advertisement