Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm a foreigner and i need an insurance...

• 21-07-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    just bought a nice Vespa here and i need to get it insured...
    the fact is that I'm foreigner and it's the first time i buy an insurance for a vehicle here in Ireland. I have a full licence and a very good claim bonus but it's not in English, so i wonder how the insurance companies would react to my request for a quote.
    was anyone in the same situation? what are the troubles i have to expect? am i going to be ripped off big time?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Yeah, you'll be ripped off big time. Sorree
    Insurance companies generally don't recognise no claims bonus certs from outside the jurisdiction. Some do recognise them from the UK, but I'm guessing yours is from further afield.

Also AFAIK Quinn only offer insurance if your licence is from Ireland or UK. So ring up the other three and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Most wise folks try to insure abroad to drive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Most wise folks try to insure abroad to drive here.
    You wont get insurance on a vehicle registered in other country. You'd have to re-register your scoot do all the relevant tests like NCT, pay the duty and whatever else.
    Then you'd should get insurance in which you have to state that this vehicle will be driven abroad most of the time and so that you are covered...
    If those wise folks don't have this little thingy on their ins. policy and crash then they are fuc..d as are other participants in that accident.

If you're from the EU no problem with no claim bonus from your country as long as there are some dates on the letter from your original insurance comp. That's the same with your driving license. That's the law.

But yes, you'd pay a bit more, but nothing too serious. Ring them up and ask. The best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Persius wrote: »
    Also AFAIK Quinn only offer insurance if your licence is from Ireland or UK. So ring up the other three and see what they say.

I'm insured with Quinn on a non-Irish licence - if you have an EU member-state licence, they can't actually refuse you insurance. My bike was bought and registered in Ireland though, you can't insure a bike with foreign plates on it.

I thought only Aon/Axa, Carole Nash and Quinn do bike insurance now - so who's the fourth one ("...ring the other three)?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Blackpitts wrote: »
    hey guys
    just bought a nice Vespa here and i need to get it insured...
    the fact is that I'm foreigner and it's the first time i buy an insurance for a vehicle here in Ireland. I have a full licence and a very good claim bonus but it's not in English

If you have a no claims bonus in another language, then you can get it translated into english by a registered company.
    This is how my fella got his french no claims transfered to an irish insurance company.
    Go talk to the insurance company and discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

J-blk wrote: »
    I thought only Aon/Axa, Carole Nash and Quinn do bike insurance now - so who's the fourth one ("...ring the other three)?
    Adelaide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Oryx wrote: »

Cool, thanks! Not up for renewal until next summer though, but it's always good to have more options...

Advertisement