Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy 95% alcohol

Options
  • 21-07-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Hi

I want to make limoncello and I need 95% (190proof) alcohol. I was in Sicily recently and told how to make it by a Sicilian cookery teacher and chef. Is there somewhere I can buy this in Dublin. It has to be as high perecent as possible.

Thanks

Liz
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wait you mean like... like rubbing alcohol or something?
    /off to ponder.

you need "everclear", its a 190 proof spirit.

Unfortunately, I've only ever seen it in America

This is a great thread. I never knew that you could get something that is 95% booze that isnt going to kill you.
    Thats my next weekend ruined.

This is a great thread. I never knew that you could get something that is 95% booze that isnt going to kill you.
    Thats my next weekend ruined.

you can't really...

Everclear needs to be mixed... a LOT

Considering it is 190 proof, it would seem that whiskey would make quite a weak mixer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Read thew charter folks.

Thanks.

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Celtic Whiskey sell a poitín that's 90% ABV, though whether a whiskey makes a suitable base for limoncello I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

A lab supply?

Make sure it's reagent grade ethanol and not any denatured stuff.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Maybe a Pharmacy ??

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Thanks, I know of Everclear and its something similar to that the stuff he used was called something like 95 Alcohol. Its grain alcohol. I have seen a few different makes online but they are based in America.

Its pretty lethal stuff if you do not use it responsibly, I just want it to make limoncello which i a kind of liquer usually about same alcohol content as vodka,rum,whiskey etc after it has been made.

I think it probably is available in other places in europe as this chef bought it in a shop but I didnt have time to get it plus you risk it breaking in luggage as you cant bring more than 100mls of anything in hand luggage.

If anyone finds a site that sells to Ireland or knows of a shop or knows someone in the off liscence trade who may know thatd be great

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

you can buy 95% alcohol here in cork!...its polish 'spirytus'.its 35euro for 500ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Yup spirytus rektyfikowany(rectafied spirit)

my ones brand is polmos.

care to share how you make the limoncello,

could it be applied to other fruits?

i remember seeing 700ml bottles of 95% in Andorra for just over three quid a bottle. Scary stuff thinking about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

lmtduffy wrote: »
    care to share how you make the limoncello,

Basic idea is here though I run the alcohol through a brita water filter 3/4 times first.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Limoncello

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you need "everclear", its a 190 proof spirit.

Unfortunately, I've only ever seen it in America
    It is illegal in several US states too. I am not sure of the legality in Ireland for stuff that strong.
    I never knew that you could get something that is 95% booze that isnt going to kill you.
    Everything can kill you if you ingest enough. Most regular vodka is distilled to above 90%, and then simply diulted back down. If you drink it at 95% it will be diluted in your stomach anyway, unless you have it completely dry somehow. You just have to adjust your quantities accordingly.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Celtic Whiskey sell a poitín that's 90% ABV, though whether a whiskey makes a suitable base for limoncello I have no idea.
    Most of those poitins are made purposely bad to give a poitin taste to them, I find hackler poitin horrific
    Sean_K wrote: »
    A lab supply?

Make sure it's reagent grade ethanol and not any denatured stuff.:p
    some lab grade stuff may be dried with benzene and so is still not really suitable for drinking, even though you have to pay full duty on it. I found even the undried 95% ethanol had a strange chemical taste to it.
    I didnt have time to get it plus you risk it breaking in luggage as you cant bring more than 100mls of anything in hand luggage.
    I think the limit is also 70% on planes, not sure if that is in stowed luggage too. You could pour into many small bottles, but be careful they are suited to 95%.
    Ponster wrote: »
    Basic idea is here though I run the alcohol through a brita water filter 3/4 times first.
    What is the alcohol you run through? 95% may leach out the plastics. Also if there is water retained in the filter it will dilute the passing alcohol. I have put 95% through a brita and it came out worse. You can leave 95% in a glass bottle/jar just sitting on activated charcoal to absorb bad tastes smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    some lab grade stuff may be dried with benzene and so is still not really suitable for drinking, even though you have to pay full duty on it. I found even the undried 95% ethanol had a strange chemical taste to it.

HPLC grade is 100% ethanol, but i keep that away from the undergrads:P

VODKA-MAN wrote: »
    you can buy 95% alcohol here in cork!...its polish 'spirytus'.its 35euro for 500ml bottle.

Where abouts in Cork, can you give me name of the shop and location please, I am there for a wedding in August so could get it if I can't find in Dublin.

Thanks

Liz

Where abouts in Cork, can you give me name of the shop and location please, I am there for a wedding in August so could get it if I can't find in Dublin.

Thanks

Liz

ya no problem,its called 'the abbots ale house'.its on Devonshire St in the city centre.:)

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    HPLC grade is 100% ethanol, but i keep that away from the undergrads:P

If your lab alcohol is over 95% then it probably was dehydrated using benzene, not sure how much it can be cleaned up afterwards. Probably far worse stuff in tap water anyway.

Alcohol cannot be distilled higher than ~95-96%. If you have 100% alcohol in a container and leave the cap off it will absorb moisture and get back down to 95-96%

Note that only 96.5% ethanol can be obtained by regular distillation of alcohol & water. Absolute ethanol (100%) is made by distilling with benzene (poisonous) (an azeotropic mixture of benzene, alcohol & water distills at 65C and removes the last few percent of water), by vacuum distillation, or by chemical means (eg using drying agents like molecular seives - which with holes of 3 Angstrom (one Angstrom is one ten billionth of a meter) can seperate water (which has a diameter of 2.5 Angstroms) from ethanol (which has a diameter of 4.5 Angstroms)). Update Phil advises me that most major commercial distilleries in Australia use Cyclohexane rather than Benzene.
    http://www.homedistiller.org/theory.htm

VODKA-MAN wrote: »
    ya no problem,its called 'the abbots ale house'.its on Devonshire St in the city centre.:)

hope that helps.

Thanks

Is it something they usually have on shelf or do you have to ask for it since it is so high alcohol %

Liz

• Advertisement

Thanks

Is it something they usually have on shelf or do you have to ask for it since it is so high alcohol %

Liz

ya well its behind the counter on the shelves!you can ask or just point it out:)

thanks for your help

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

limoncello is an awesome drink mixed it with champagne when hammered at a wedding one time, made LEMONPAIN! great drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

http://feinschmecker.listings.ebay.de/Bar-Spirituosen_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ8384QQsocmdZListingItemList

I bought stuff of the German eBay site before, no problems at all. I've occasionally found 95% stuff on it before.

mayordenis wrote: »
    limoncello is an awesome drink mixed it with champagne when hammered at a wedding one time, made LEMONPAIN! great drink

I'm guessing the 'pain' is the next morning yea?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One more time lads.

We do not advocate binge or idiotic drinking on this forum.

If you want to talk about getting "pissed" or "hammered" go over to BGRH.

Please keep that in mind when posting.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

McHughs Malahide Road, Artane and McHughs Killbarrack Road, Raheny both stock spiritus (95%).. 35 euro a 350ml bottle. Most Off Licences should be able to bring it in for you if you ask though

Advertisement