Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on car purchase

Options
  • 21-07-2008 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am looking to buy an affordable reliable car with good protection in the event of a crash etc.. and also one economical to use... I'm not asking for much!! Style or looks of a car don't bother me

Possibly a mid to medium sized car, perhaps year 2005, 2006, 2007

I was thinking of ford focus, toyota corolla, nissan, skoda etc

but I have absolutely no clue which would be the best to suit my needs.

I am a sole female driver...

I would be really grateful for any opinions/suggestions on the above..

thanking you

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Budget?
    You seem to be barking up the right tree with your own suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The best thing to do is test drive all of them and see which one you like the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Im gonna have to swing corrolla on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be thinking Avensis, as it adds 5 star safety and air conditioning to what the Corolla offers.

would also suggest Mazda3, although it just fell short of the 5 star NCAP rating, they're good value second hand and well nailed together.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Focus Yay !!! :D that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

actually, what bazz26 said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grace1

Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Just wondering about a nissan primera... would anyone know if they are good on petrol etc..

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Firstly can I ask why as a sole occupant car you feel you need something so large as a Primera ? Even the others are small family cars - would you not consider something a bit more stylish and fun ?

How bout a Megane CC or 307 CC or even an MX5 ?

There is little point in luggin around a family car body for one person - it is a waste ( and believe me I am no environmentalist )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How about an opel astra coupe, they are pretty sleek.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

grace1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Just wondering about a nissan primera... would anyone know if they are good on petrol etc..

thanks

hmm - interested to hear what others say - but I know a taxi and garage man both cursing the primera. Apparently it inherited the same electronic faults that seem to plague other renaults. A bigger shame, as they point out, because the old one was just so good. You may need to rule it out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Firstly can I ask why as a sole occupant car you feel you need something so large as a Primera ? Even the others are small family cars - would you not consider something a bit more stylish and fun ?

How bout a Megane CC or 307 CC or even an MX5 ?

There is little point in luggin around a family car body for one person - it is a waste ( and believe me I am no environmentalist )

+1 Size doesn't necessarily equal safety. E.g. Both the Renault Clio and Megane have a 5 star Euro NCAP and both would make more sense for a solo driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

how much milage aprox do you do?

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I know a taxi and garage man both cursing the primera. Apparently it inherited the same electronic faults that seem to plague other renaults.

The Primera is a Nissan, not a Renault.

Honey-ec wrote: »

ouch.:pac::D

Renault have a major share in Nissan these days, both companies share various components among their models.

jesus.
    I am beginning to get scared of all this in-knowledge. I really have to do some more research on cars and manufacturers.
    /toddles off.
    good luck with the purchase OP

bazz26 wrote: »
    Renault have a major share in Nissan these days, both companies share various components among their models.

As do a lot of the big marques, but it's still incorrect to say a Primera is a Renault!

It's like calling an Ibiza a Volkswagen because they have the same engine components.

As do a lot of the big marques, but it's still incorrect to say a Primera is a Renault!

It's like calling an Ibiza a Volkswagen because they have the same engine components.

Agreed, Seats and VWs however would have more in common with each other than a Nissan would have with Renault at the moment. It still would not equate to a Nissan having issues = Renault influence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I reckon a diesel Skoda Octavia. Economical to run, comfortable and more reliable than practically anything else on the road. Better value too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I do believe that the 2002 model primera onwards uses a lot of if not all Renault running gear and as such I would well advise to steer well clear. Talking to a few garage men these are right and troublesome compared to the previous model primera apparently. My first car was a Renault Megavan and nothing but trouble and heartache with it. The frenchies should stick to making wine if you ask me. Mind you seemingly there not very good at doing that these days either as it is moreless all "New-world" wine thats selling nowdays I have being told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

imho, go for a corrolla, though living off a reputation, quite a bit of poke thanks to vvti, quite reliable, easy re-sale, all the more reason to buy one... they dont look half bad either ( the hatch's ofcourse, though the saloon.... not a lookers car... )

Advertisement