Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop v Laptop Speeds difference

Options
  • 21-07-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Ok posted this in BB forum but now it sees its a wireless issue

Have the 20mb upc speed

Have desktop in attic and using usb adapter getting the below speeds

298140258.png

Took out adapter and disabled automatic wireless set up and installed software and plugged the key into laptop and brought it up to attic and I am getting the below speeds

298955227.png

So it looks like the Desktop pc problem correct me if I am wrong ? Working of windows xp and it must be 3-4 years old ??

Is there anything I should be checking on the PC to see what is stopping it from getting the higher speeds ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hmmm it could be a number of issues but firstly on the hardware side is your PC desktop running usb 1.1 or Usb 2.0?

Next thing I'd check is if there is anything weakening your signal from the desktop. As in are you plugging the usb into the back of the PC, is that above an RSJ or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hmmm it could be a number of issues but firstly on the hardware side is your PC desktop running usb 1.1 or Usb 2.0?

Next thing I'd check is if there is anything weakening your signal from the desktop. As in are you plugging the usb into the back of the PC, is that above an RSJ or something?

Sorry how can I tell if its runnng usb 1.1 or 2.0?

Plugged the adapter into the back of desktop then tried with usb at front and still bad speeds. Pc is right above router and modem and nothing in between only one floor

UPC were on last night and I changed all the channels, currently on 11 but no joy. They are going to send me out a wireless adapter also

When I get home will post spec of pc?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sorry how can I tell if its runnng usb 1.1 or 2.0?

Plugged the adapter into the back of desktop then tried with usb at front and still bad speeds. Pc is right above router and modem and nothing in between only one floor

UPC were on last night and I changed all the channels, currently on 11 but no joy. They are going to send me out a wireless adapter also

When I get home will post spec of pc?

In fairness to UPC (I am def getting very soft:) this really is not their problem.

Have you tried using the usb on a usb extension cable to see if it improves the signal?

Cannot run USB extension as modem to far away

Pc is Athlon 64 3000 machine its a Dual core AMD it should be USB2 but have to check post later

Yep looks like a PC problem not upc but trying to find out why and how speed is so slow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cannot run USB extension as modem to far away

Pc is Athlon 64 3000 machine its a Dual core AMD it should be USB2 but have to check post later

Yep looks like a PC problem not upc but trying to find out why and how speed is so slow

I meant getting an extension usb cable and plugging the wireless usb into it - this would allow you to see if the signal is strong in other positions around the pc.

• Advertisement

ok may try that how much are these cables ?

Some spec on PC

e PC

OS

Windows Xp3

Processor
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
    Board: K8T800P-8237
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/13/2004

Memory Modules
    512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty

Bus Adapters

D347PRT SCSI Controller
    VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
    VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Communictions
    1394 Net Adapter
    802.11b/g USB Wireless LAN Adapter #2

Others
    VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    USB Root Hub (5x)
    pcouffin device for 32 bits systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Interesting to note that your Upload speeds don't vary that much. I also see that the tests were carried out 2 days apart. Is it possible there was a contention issue at the time you tried the desktop?
    This probably of no use to you but some PCs use both USB1 and USB2 so try all ports.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Interesting to note that your Upload speeds don't vary that much. I also see that the tests were carried out 2 days apart. Is it possible there was a contention issue at the time you tried the desktop?
    This probably of no use to you but some PCs use both USB1 and USB2 so try all ports.

I have tried again on different days and keep getting the same download speeds the upload seems fine

Going to check if I have the most updated drivers for the VIA

Also will move key adapter to another usb port and see have tried 2 already and same speeds

Tried other ports and no joy also tried the below solution from Netgear
    Step1:

1. Log in to the router configuration page.
    2. Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and access the site:http://192.168.1.1 (or) www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm
    By default, the username is admin, the password is password.
    3. Go to WAN Setup.
    4. Reduce the MTU to 1300 and apply the changes.
    5. You can also try other MTU values like 1492, 1440, 1400 etc and apply the settings. Now check for the connections.

STEP2:

1. Right Click on My Computer icon select Properties
    2. Click Hardware -select Device Manager
    3. Click Network adapters - Select the Ethernet Adapter. Right Click on it and click Properties
    4. You will be able to get the Popup of the Adapters
    5. Properties Window -Click on Advanced
    6. Select the transmit rate to 100Mb Half Duplex and Save the settings

I changed the MTU and it went up to a speed of 6151 but I should be getting close to 15000 I tried the others suggested and 1492 gave me this speed. When I go into devices and advanced I just have the 2 options HWprobe which is set at 000 and I changed this to 100mb and the line dropped. Other option is Network address and this is defaulted to 'not present' do I need to change these and if so to what?

So at least the speed went up but still not to what I should be getting any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi Gunner..

Would you be able to give a brief spec of your laptop also? Your PC Spec is a bit weak. To Run XP service pack 3 and only 512 MB of Ram isnt Ideal. Probably shouldnt have an issue but by the look of that spec I would guess the PC is probably 3 to 4 years old which would suggest USB 1.1. This could create an issue on two grounds. As your aware SB 1.1 can not transfer anywhere near the data USB 2.0 can. Now for internet you might say its only 15MB a second but from my experience some USB1 devices can be dog slow. Secondly the other issue may be that your USB wifi device may be designed with USB 2.0 as its main function with a poorer quality backward compatible function to use USB 1.1.

I Would check the manufacturers website to see exact spec of USB device and also google that device with USB 1 and see if anyone else is in the same boat.

If this is in fact an issue and you require USB 2.0 I will supply you a USB 2.0 5 port PCI card absolutely FREE OF CHARGE... There is one condition you do one nice thing for someone else when you receive it!!! Good Karma day!

According to one piece of information I have USB 2.0 is up to 40 times faster than USB 1.1... Interesting eh?

If you would like this unit email me directly with your details. If I were you Id invest in some memory too its as cheap as chips..

Fusion Networks, the Nice ICT provider :)

Have a good friday all...

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks for that

I bought the PC from Marx-computers http://www.marxcomputers.ie/ so it maybe 3-4 years old they came back with the spec that according to our records it is an Athlon 64 3000 machine & that I could add a1GB off DDR However they would not be able to source larger chips for this as it has been supercede by a new Socket , socket AM2 whose chips would not work in yours.

They cannot find the individual spec sheet on it but as its
    a Dual core AMD it should be USB2. A good way to check is to plug in a USB2 device and it will give you a prompt that it could run faster if it is a USB1 port

Tried this and no prompt came up

So if I add the 1gb of memory would it be worth it?

Also bought the adapter from them not sure of make but from memory could not see any brand name

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 6400 running Windows xp also

Thanks for the offer of the PCI card but would it work in this PC if it does I will PM you and don’t worry Karma is going to get me do good things to others:)

Also UPC are sending me out an adapter also so may try that

Updated drivers and then changed the mtu to 1500 and was getting 6 megs

about 2 minutes later was getting back to 6megs

Upload seems ok but J**sus for the life of me I cannot figure out why my DL speeds are so eractic

Due a new wireless adapter from UPC so may try that. The one I have seems ot be a basic one and not a brand name so could not see if there are any updated drivers for it

As the Pc is over 3+ years old maybe time to buy a new one as I have tried everything at this stage

Unless the truth is out there and anyone know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Is it worth buying a new PC just because of a "lousy" 6 meg d/l speed?
    Most people in this country would kill for that speed.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Is it worth buying a new PC just because of a "lousy" 6 meg d/l speed?
    Most people in this country would kill for that speed.

Thats if I get 6 meg as I keep dropping down to 3meg and for the money I am paying UPC I might as well stayed with UTV :mad:

I was thinking of upgrading but this has made me make a decision quicker but not going to rush into buying one yet

Well got a Netgear Usb 2.0 Wg111v3 adapter and still getting the same speeds

So is it the PC and is it time to upgrade?

Advertisement