Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new frame, toe jam

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i did this to my bike a couple of months ago:

p5226779ps7.jpg

and cyclelogical recently replaced it with a ridley triton t frame for me. however, i only just got the chance to go out on it tonight, and before i set off i realised that even with the clips set as far forward as possible on my SPD shoes, my toes still can clip the front wheel - the wheel is probably an inch or more closer to the chainring than on the old frame.
    are SPDs known to suffer from this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was in the shop when they were stripping down your old bike and building your new one :)

oh yeah, you're looking for advice...
    Are you using the same crankset, i.e they haven't given you a longer one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

everything bar the frame, seat post, and headset are original. afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

More popularly referred to as toe wheel overlap. It is very common on road/track bike frames due to shortish wheelbase and steep head tube angle. It has been a feature on practically every 'sports' bike I've ridden. It only becomes a problem for me on sharp uphill double back corners where pedalling in low gear and travelling relatively slowly I have to take wide turns to avoid stalling (I got in the way of a few lads overtaking at Glencree during the W200)
    I saw quite a few posts on CTC (UK) bulletin boards where quite a few cyclists regard it as being a hazard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so it's fairly safe to cycle like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Al Wright wrote: »
    More popularly referred to as toe wheel overlap. It is very common on road/track bike frames due to shortish wheelbase and steep head tube angle.
    I have this situation with my Specialized Sirrus hybrid and my SPDs.

It's never been an issue, though I do take care when starting off and turning the handlebars so that my toe doesn't end up on the wrong side of the wheel. I consider it safe to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

one of my bikes has fairly serious toe-overlap and it was a bit disconcerting at first, but it's not a big deal.
    so it's fairly safe to cycle like that?

yeah, just be careful at low speed sharp corners and taking off from lights etc. you'll get used to it and won't have to think about it at all after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My Cervelo has the same issue. Shorter, sharper handing and more agressive racing geometry, plus my fondness for riding a smaller size bike all contributes. Its not unusual you will get used to it.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    My Cervelo has the same issue. Shorter, sharper handing and more agressive racing geometry, plus my fondness for riding a smaller size bike all contributes. Its not unusual you will get used to it.

I've not noticed anything on my Cervelo, but mine's a 58, so quite big. Mind you, it's making sh1te of my right knee at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have toe overlap on most of my bikes too, it's quite normal and not a problem. Dave Moulton has a good take on it here.

• Advertisement

cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

daymobrew wrote: »
    I have this situation with my Specialized Sirrus hybrid and my SPDs.

It's never been an issue, though I do take care when starting off and turning the handlebars so that my toe doesn't end up on the wrong side of the wheel. I consider it safe to cycle.

Same situation with with my Kona Dew plus hybrid. Wheel base is short on that bike though. Once your
    conscious of it you'll never really have a problem.

well, i was out earlier and managed not to do myself any damage.

Advertisement