Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyfermot

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Greetings

Can people please give their opinion on Ballyfermot. I am thinking of renting a house there with my girlfriend, the rates are good and the houses are good standard. However I do not know much about the area, I have been in Ireland 4 years and I have lived in Marino since I arrived. BTW I love Ireland. It would be great if I could get a good idea about the area before I make a decision, I have got mixed opinions so far.

Thank You Vrey Much

Samuel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Ballyfermot has had a bad reputation in the past and some areas still get bad press (Cherry orchard and the like). But it is improving. It's no foxrock / howth / dalkey but i've been in ParkWest (near enough) for a while now and i'm getting fairly familar with the area and I can say it's nowhere near as bad as I had always believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Hi Samuel

I replied to your last post. It is mixed. There is some good and some bad. There is a regular public transport system which will take you to city centre - 78A, 79, there's the 18 which will take you all over half south side which comes from Palmerstown to Ballyfermot to Crumlin to Rathmines to Ballsbridge to Sandymount. There are schools, there are shops, dry cleaners, bars (some good and then some, don't go into!)
    On the main Ballyfermot rd there are a few junkies who hang out and cause a bit of a bad smell and atmosphere (you know, drinking cans of beer and just hanging out but they're in the main, harmless it just looks awful) every now and then, scratch that, every day but if you're not going to hang out on the main Road then it won't affect you. It is not as pleasant an area (as in pleasing to the eye and what most would consider convivial atmosphere) than Marino. But it does have some very nice people who work hard for a living and who don't bother folk. If you just live there with your wife/ family / whatever, travel to and from it and close your doors and enjoy your own home, it's just like anywhere else...a place to live.

Yes is has a slightly shabby run down feel to it on the main road, and a few local nak bags (ne'er do wells, thugs, whatever) but not all the neighbourhoods are on the main road. I lived there with my Mum on one of the quietest roads and the people were so nice, it was fine. I would say go visit the house you are looking at and see if you like that particular road. If you want to send me a private message with the neighbourhood name or ask me any more questions do so. I grew up there, moved there when I was 2 and stayed until I was 31.

Hope that helps. B

Advertisement