Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyfermot

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Greetings

Can people please give their opinion on Ballyfermot. I am thinking of renting a house there with my girlfriend, the rates are good and the houses are good standard. However I do not know much about the area, I have been in Ireland 4 years and I have lived in Marino since I arrived. BTW I love Ireland. It would be great if I could get a good idea about the area before I make a decision, I have got mixed opinions so far.

Thank You Vrey Much

Samuel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Hi there,

I went to college in Ballyfermot for 3 years and I can say it is a nice people, the people are the salt of the earth! It has a bad rep but it is grand seriously. I would live there no problem. The Ballyfermot people look after their own so won't have any worries..

Good luck in Ballier - If you do decide to move there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I disagree. I had to walk through the place last night and I was scared shïtless. Crowds of teenagers everyone, junkies lolling around the streets, uniformed man standing outside a Centra as a guard, urine trails near a Chinese take-away.

I was glad to get home, I didn't feel safe. I was, however, on my own. That wouldn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A good and bad opinion of the area above so I'll give the mixed opinion :)

Living close by though not in Ballyfermot, it’s directly outside my front window. I suppose my address is technically Chapelizod though it's beside Ballyfermot ;)

Lots of shops and facilities though Tesco Ballyfermot is a kip. I think I saw a sports centre and there are loads of parks around.
    However, in all the areas of Dublin I’ve been in, I’ve never seen so many boy racers tearing up and down the road. If this sort of thing bothers you then stay away. It's certainly is loud and clear when I’m watching TV and I have my windows open.

People are fine, any of the locals I’ve talked to are proud of the area. Sure there are kids hanging around shops but that doesn’t me or some people.

Having said all that, I’ve never walked around there at night or gone into any of the pubs so I haven't seen everything

I reckon you should stay in Marino OP

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Although there are no doubt many fine people in Ballyfermot, it is a dump compared to Marino.

Stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've lived in Ballyier all my life, believe me it's a lot better than it was 20 years ago. It's well served by buses,has plenty of shops,several churches and a healthy police service. Unless you intend hanging around the main drag at night for your entertainment you won't be bothered by anyone. The area has it's fair share of scummers like everywhere,even marino (don't they kill gays and cripple young tourist in fairview park?) If you would care to name the road the house is on I can tell you if it's a quite area or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Some of Ballyer is great and others are holes full of scum. The houses along Kylemore road seem nice enough. Stay away from anything near Cherry Orchard though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I lived in the Steeples for 6 years (I left 3 years ago) Technically with a Chapelizod address but in reality close to the big roundabout with the church.
    My ground floor apartment door faced onto the carpark and the living room window faced the wall which ran along the road leading into ballyfermot.

Cars were stolen or broken into frequently. I was even woken up one night, went to the front door to find a guy nicking the wheel off a car.
    There was a bunch of kids who would regularly sit on the wall and throw glass bottles at the passing cars. When I confronted them I got nothing but abuse.
    The communal bins were set on fire at least once a fortnight. I had to call the firebrigade more than once.

There was often a burnt out car at the bottom of the road entering the complex.
    During one particular warm summers night, I made the mistake of leaving the small window open for air. Was woken up by a junkie trying to get in. He was totally off his head. Luckily me roaring at him was enough to make him leave.
    Perhaps it was just because of where my apartment was, but I would never recommend living there.
    I never felt safe.
    I was so happy to be able to eventually sell up and leave. I now live in Celbridge and it's wonderful.
    Stay in Marino.

My friend lives in ballyfermot now (we grew up next door in Palmerstown). He said once that he woke up one morning to find a bunch of scummers breaking in to his car. When he opened the door to stop them they just looked at him with the attitude of "I dare you to do anything".
    As Beruthiel said, there are a lot of scumbags there, pick the wrong part and you will be miserable.
    If you want to be in the area, try somewhere near by like Palmerstown which is much quieter and worst the scummers do there is hurl abuse thinking they are being very funny. You are unlikely to have the sort of Beirut neighborhood except at Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Moving from Marino to Ballyfermot is going to be traumatic, Ballyfermot is Beirut without the UN there to protect you ;)

Its a horrible sh*thole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Saruman wrote: »
    My friend lives in ballyfermot now (we grew up next door in Palmerstown). He said once that he woke up one morning to find a bunch of scummers breaking in to his car. When he opened the door to stop them they just looked at him with the attitude of "I dare you to do anything".

That's it exactly.
    My bloke gave out yards to me for confronting them. You really make yourself a target if you stand up to them and I couldn't stand that cos when I'm annoyed about something it just has to come out or I'll explode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I lived in the Steeples for 6 years (I left 3 years ago) Technically with a Chapelizod address but in reality close to the big roundabout with the church.

Wow, some bad experiences, sorry to hear about that.
    Having a ground floor apartment at the side of the estate is probably the worst place I suppose.

The updated perspective is:
    Never seen a car or bike damaged or broken into and you see a squad car driving slowly around the place every few hours in the eveningtime.
    Having garda patrols could be a very good sign or a terrible sign, I don’t know which.
    The place is used as a shortcut by the kids getting from Ballyfermot to the pitch and putt course but despite walking on walls, they never bother anyone. I use the shortcut on Ballyfermot road all the time too but I’d imagine some residents wish they’d block it off. It’s a hefty climb over a wall so not everyone can do it.

Never felt unsafe and the place is extremely quiet. Only one apartment in the entire place is unusual and they realy stick out. (stoned on drugs, pyjamas, etc) so I assume it’s rented out. Place is fine now imo

I agree it's a joke having a Chapelizod address. Technically it is Chapelizod but in reality it isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

If i hated someone i would tell them to move to Ballyfermot :D

I've nearly been killed there several times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I live in the Ballyer, more Cherry Orchard than Ballyer in fairness.

Hmm, what to say....

I've gotten used to it! :o

It depends where abouts in Ballyfermot the house is. If it's at the bottom part nearer Inchicore then I'd say it's probably nice enough. It seems very settled at that part.

Nearer Cherry Orchard can be hair raising at times. Would I buy somewhere around here again? Probably not. Firstly, the dirt and mess and broken glass (I've never seen so much broken glass in one place in my whole life) really p1sses me off. The people living in the houses (most are council but not all) have absolutely no respect for the area.
    Also, the speeding cars tearing around the place can be very very annoying.
    The general vandalism - everything gets vandalised.

On the plus side, it's near town and if you're close to the main road there are loads of bus links. There is a huge sports centre about to open with a swimming pool, gym and outdoor football pitches. It's also only a few minutes drive to the Phoenix Park.

I don't know what Marino is like but I'm sure it has to be more established and settled than Ballyf.

I think Samual is starting to get the picture.

Here is another example of a place with a bad rep: Finglas. Some parts the buses will not even go as they will be stoned.
    However there are some very nice parts of finglas that even i would consider living if i moved back to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

Mairt wrote: »
    Moving from Marino to Ballyfermot is going to be traumatic, Ballyfermot is Beirut without the UN there to protect you ;)

Its a horrible sh*thole.
    Dont be listening to these people,lets put it this way...everywere has "scumbags" everywere.Ballyfermot is a lovely place and it has fantastic bus service.Also great shops in the area everything you really want and also the shops are spotless.If ballyfermot was that bad it would be always on the news...but its not if you think about it.
    Ballyfermot is a 10/10 area and i would recommend it:D.What part are you moving to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I live on the Ballyfermot/Chapelizod border (v. near the Steeples) and have done for the last 5 years. The Steeples has always seemed to suffer more than anywhere else for some reason.

I've never had a problem in my place. The 79/A bus service into town is fantastic. Ballyfermot village itself is a bit ugly tbh, and the Cherry Orchard end looks pretty bad.

However the lower end for the most part is fine.

Great spot for taxis too. You never need to wait more than 30 seconds to pick one up on Ballyfermot Road!

On the upside, i remember hearing that Ballyfermot people are the happiest people in the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Stay away from Ballyfermot at all costs. It deserves its bad reputation.

I remember when the train station was built in Cherry Orchard. Thugs burnt it to the ground within 24 hours. It was rebuilt, and they burned it again. It took many more years before they rebuilt it again.

Bus services have been stopped several times (The 79, and 78a) due to attacks on them.

I've also been randomly attacked and severely beaten by a group of 8 thugs in the 'Lawns' park. They all walked free from court..laughing.

Drug dealers are everywhere. And there's at least 1 junkie per street.

If you own a car, it will be stolen. It's just a matter of time. They've tried stealing my brothers car and my mum's partners car, and that's just in the last 2 weeks.

And some guys decided to steal my motorbike, while I was driving it and just 60 yards from the Garda station.

The area is ruled by thugs who have no respect for others or themselves.

But, if you must move there, move to Lower Ballyfermot, or the older parts like Cloiginn.

I remember when the train station was built in Cherry Orchard. Thugs burnt it to the ground within 24 hours. It was rebuilt, and they burned it again. It took many more years before they rebuilt it again.
    There is a new station being built, almost finished, at Parkwest which is the posher side of Cherry Orchard. Should be opened in a few months by the looks of it.
    Bus services have been stopped several times (The 79, and 78a) due to attacks on them.
    I've used the 79 every day for work for the last couple of years and I don't ever recall the bus route being suspended. In fairness, this is a great and very reliable bus route. Don't get me started on the 79a!
    I've also been randomly attacked and severely beaten by a group of 8 thugs in the 'Lawns' park. They all walked free from court..laughing.
    With all due respect, this could happen anywhere in Dublin, Cork, London, Paris, Milan, New York etc etc etc.
    Really? I've never noticed. They must be very inconspicious.
    If you own a car, it will be stolen. It's just a matter of time. They've tried stealing my brothers car and my mum's partners car, and that's just in the last 2 weeks.
    Hmm, I own a car and would you believe I stil have it! Intact!
    I know people who've had cars stolen from seemingly posh estates in Ranelagh, Donnybrook and Rathmines. I know one girl who had her car stolen repeatedly from Cowper Downs. This isn't a problem exclusive to Ballyf
    Again, I don't think this is fair. There are a lot of rough types in Ballyf but there are also salt of the earth people, little old ladies, nice young people, decent types of people just trying to live a decent life etc etc.
    But, if you must move there, move to Lower Ballyfermot, or the older parts like Cloiginn.
    Most of the vandalism etc that I mentioned is around Cherry Orchard but the lower Ballyf area has some very nice areas.

If I'd to decide between Marino and Ballyf then Marino would win hands down but I don't think it's fair either to trash an entire community based on conjecture and incidents of theft and anti-social behaviour that could happen anywhere.

True, it's not the prettiest of areas and it wouldn't be on my list of top 10 places to live in Dublin but it's certainly not as bad as all that.

I grew up in the other side of the Gaels field in Palmerstown. I hung around with a lot of Ballyfermot scummers though in my youth. In fact i was beaten up by 10 of them with iron bars once. This happend in Palmerstown but they were from Ballyfermot. apparently something happend on halloween night (i was not there) and they came for revenge for their mate (still do not know what happend and i liked the mate they were talking about!!). I was with three others but they stopped me and the other two were allowed to walk on. I assume they stopped me because i was 6 feet tall and the other two where barely 5 feet.

Anyway i got my head split open etc.. anyway I stopped hanging around with those people and became more of a loner where as before i always had 20 or so people to hang around with.

So point of the story is this. I heard years later that as a result of what happened to me, the family of my friends (big big family in BF at the time) rounded up all the lads who were after us that night. Im not sure what happend to them but im led to believe it was not just a good talking to.

Not sure what am getting at... Well i suppose its that I knew a lot of good people and good areas in Ballyer. Also they look after their own so if you know people and something bad happens to you, someone else might take action as thats the way a lot of families work there.

My advice though is do a LOT of research and spend some time in the area before you move there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Now OP, ask yourself (after reading these review's) ... Is it worth taking the risk?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SamuelMarino

Thanks very much everyone.

Really? I've never noticed. They must be very inconspicious.

You've never noticed the junkies?? They must see you coming and scarper! I was only walking through the place and I came across plenty.

Neesa wrote: »
    You've never noticed the junkies?? They must see you coming and scarper! I was only walking through the place and I came across plenty.
    op these stories are stupid and the people writing them must be just bored or maybe they were walking around with a bunch of 50euros hanging out of there pocket thats why they got attacked.everywere has trouble but ask yourself 1 question..how often does ballyfermot be on the news with trouble?????exactly it doesnt be so dont be listening to these :pac:on this site!just to correct CRAZYRABBIT the train station is perfectly working in service the last 5+ years and has never being burned"strange how to do that"..:confused:.like i said it is know way as bad as these clowns are saying it is!:Dso were is everyone else from and we compare there area and broaden the views on areas?????

And some guys decided to steal my motorbike, while I was driving it and just 60 yards from the Garda station.

I think you were dreaming that these happened or maybe you were in a different ballyfermot or even you had a big mouth!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Mairt
    Moving from Marino to Ballyfermot is going to be traumatic, Ballyfermot is Beirut without the UN there to protect you

Its a horrible sh*thole.
    Why would an area like ballyfermot need a fcuked up organisation like UN ? .Sure we sent soldiers over there to Congo Lebanon and elsewere and they played their little part to in history , but overall The UN is now more famous for corruption and couldent protect it's own arse if it tried .

PS- how many ballyfermot guys severed overseas with the Un ? .One or two died in the service of the UN ,so perhaps using the UN and ballyfermot in the same anology is perhaps a little out of sync :)

I was in Ballyfermot on Monday. I feared for my safety. My OH was furious with my company for ever putting me in the position of fearing for my safety. I'm supposed to work in an office, not on the streets of Ballyfermot.

Just sharing my personal experience, which is what the OP asked for. No personal crusades please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

dubman25 wrote: »
    op these stories are stupid and the people writing them must be just bored or maybe they were walking around with a bunch of 50euros hanging out of there pocket thats why they got attacked.everywere has trouble but ask yourself 1 question..how often does ballyfermot be on the news with trouble?????exactly it doesnt be so dont be listening to these :pac:on this site!just to correct CRAZYRABBIT the train station is perfectly working in service the last 5+ years and has never being burned"strange how to do that"..:confused:.like i said it is know way as bad as these clowns are saying it is!:Dso were is everyone else from and we compare there area and broaden the views on areas?????

I lived in Croftwood, just 30 seconds from the station. It was burned down, and badly damaged by fire a 2nd time shortly after being built. It then went unused for some time before being refitted. Yes, it has been fine for a good few years now without problems. I've lived in 3 different streets in Ballyfermot over the last 18 years (Cloiginn & Drumfinn being the others). Since Ballyfermot, I've lived in Drumcondra and Castleknock which I can use as a comparison. I also travel to a great deal of europeon cities as part of my job. Ballyfermot is by far the worse area I've ever been to.

In Ballyfermot, I've been assaulted, mugged, threatened, harrassed for simply walking past some teens, and eventually forced to move due to the constant fear everytime I went outside the door. Yes, there are good people there. I have friends still from the area. But, it has a high percentage of scumbags than most other areas. It is a relatively dangerous place to live.

I lived in Croftwood, just 30 seconds from the station
    I'd say that is one of the roughest areas in Ballyer and is probably more Cherry Orchard. I wouldn't drive through there unless it was an absolute necessity. It is a sh1thole alright but not really a fair representation of the Ballyer.
    Neesa... I was in Ballyfermot on Monday. I feared for my safety. My OH was furious with my company for ever putting me in the position of fearing for my safety. I'm supposed to work in an office, not on the streets of Ballyfermot.
    Why Neesa, what happened to you? What you probably felt was a shock to your middle class sensibilities because the Ballyer is not the pretty, tree lined suburban village that you're used to. It's a working class area with working class people.

I remember the first time I drove through there and I really thought 'dear sweet jebus where am I' but as I say I've gotten used to it and some of my middle class snobbiness has probably been knocked out of me at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Ballyfermot is not as bad as people on here saying it is. There is alot of junkies around the area though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement