Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyfermot

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Here you must have been at the back of the 78A bus hanging with the lad/gals doing drugs- keep yourself 2 urself and you will be grand.
    As I said, I was on the main street and I experienced quite a considerable amount of intimidation for someone who was only standing there about 45 minutes (on another note, that's how long the bus took).
    you could be outside on the street at 3am and someone might come up asking you for money!
    Of course you could - the streets get dangerous in a lot of places at 3am. Poor point to be honest. It's of far more concern when you're being asked for money repeatedly at 2.00 in the afternoon. I don't know what your "get a grip" remark was in aid of - I outlined how I found the place scary, simple as.

Also, I really disagree with the stock response in threads like these of "there are scummy areas everywhere". No there aren't. That implies there are equal amounts of dodgy areas in any given place. Can you compare Finglas to Sandymount? No. Can you compare Ballymun to Ballsbridge? No. Can you compare Dolphin's Barn to Rathfarnham? No.

And before anyone jumps in, yes, I know the above places have some very decent areas - I'd be the first to point that one out myself - but my point is, they don't have equal amounts of scummy parts to the areas with which I compared them. And I know I picked the wealthiest part of Dublin - Ballsbridge - but the reason for that was, it immediately demonstrates how there aren't "scummy areas everywhere". And just because Ballsbridge is probably full of spoilt cokehead brats who'd happily kick the sh1t out of each other, doesn't mean you're gonna feel unsafe living in the area from which they hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Dudess wrote: »
    As I said, I was on the main street and I experienced quite a considerable amount of intimidation for someone who was only standing there about 45 minutes (on another note, that's how long the bus took).

Of course you could - the streets get dangerous in a lot of places at 3am. Poor point to be honest. It's of far more concern when you're being asked for money repeatedly at 2.00 in the afternoon. I don't know what your "get a grip" remark was in aid of - I outlined how I found the place scary, simple as.

Also, I really disagree with the stock response in threads like these of "there are scummy areas everywhere". No there aren't. That implies there are equal amounts of dodgy areas in any given place. Can you compare Finglas to Sandymount? No. Can you compare Ballymun to Ballsbridge? No. Can you compare Dolphin's Barn to Rathfarnham? No.

And before anyone jumps in, yes, I know the above places have some very decent areas - I'd be the first to point that one out myself - but my point is, they don't have equal amounts of scummy parts to the areas with which I compared them. And I know I picked the wealthiest part of Dublin - Ballsbridge - but the reason for that was, it immediately demonstrates how there aren't "scummy areas everywhere". And just because Ballsbridge is probably full of spoilt cokehead brats who'd happily kick the sh1t out of each other, doesn't mean you're gonna feel unsafe living in the area from which they hail.

You were in Ballyfermot for a few hours! How does that qualify you to make a statement in the first place? I think you will find it doesn’t.:P:P:P:P:P:P

Of course it does. I felt intimidated during that time and I simply recounted it.

Of course it does. I felt intimidated during that time and I simply recounted it.

How did you feel intimidated? Someone only asked you for money????? right?

Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How did you feel intimidated? Someone only asked you for money????? right?

Seriously
    I would find it intimidating too as i wouldn't be accustomed to it. just because you find it normal, that doesn't make it alright for others.

• Advertisement

I would find it intimidating too as i wouldn't be accustomed to it. just because you find it normal, that doesn't make it alright for others.

Why where do you live in a box?????

Where you from? Bet you don't have any of that going on down 'the country' where u are from????

You'd do well not to be so selective about other people's posts, dublinmadyoke.

Did I say "someone" asked me for money? No. I said a number of people (about five) in a short space of time, all of whom were scumbags/junkies, came up to me looking for money. This was not comfortable and frankly nobody should have to put up with that sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Where you from? Bet you don't have any of that going on down 'the country' where u are from????
    There is no need to be cheeky. If you can't debate the issue properly and respect the opinions of others, please feel free to go elsewhere.

And for the record, I don't live 'down the country' but in a part of Dublin where I rarely encounter drug addicts or beggars.

You'd do well not to be so selective about other people's posts, dublinmadyoke.

Did I say "someone" asked me for money? No. I said a number of people (about five) in a short space of time, all of whom were scumbags/junkies, came up to me looking for money. This was not comfortable and frankly nobody should have to put up with that sh1t.

So five people one after another came up to you???? within, what? In five mins?

Yeah, "five minutes" - I'm not sure how you managed to come to that conclusion considering I posted I was there for about 45 minutes.

But go on, keep misreading my posts and using those misreadings to argue for the sake of it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OP -you've been assured of the benefits of living in Ballyfermot by a user called DublinMadYoke.

What on earth are you waiting for?
    Someone got shot in the head while in his shed at 4 in the morning last night in Ballyfermot.
    What was he doing alone in a shed at 4 in the morning?

Dying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

This thread is awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

This thread is awesome :D
    Shame the same can't be said about Ballyfermot :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In fairness to Dudess and her feeling intimidated during her short stay there.

Anyone who knows me would say I'm not easily intimidated, indeed I can do the intimidating pretty good myself.

But when I'm in Ballyfermot (and I'm there often) my guard is right up, I get my business done ASAP and make a bee line out of the kip.

What I will say is that Ballyfermot is not unique, there are many places like it dotted around the country but they don't get much worse.

Mairt, I've seen plenty of pics of you and while you come across as something of a gentle giant in your posting, I would not recommend that anyone cross you! :) (Maybe certain people should check the Know Your Nerds thread in After Hours/Cool Vids & Pics & Links for those pics of Mairt - you might see how it wouldn't be wise to, for example, threaten him.)
    Also, I know you're from Ballymun, which is regularly touted as the worst part of Dublin. I went to DCU, which despite its Glasnevin address, is actually in Ballymun - never experienced any harassment whatsoever. However it would be fair to say there are some pretty scary areas/characters in Ballymun. I remember the 13A had to discontinue servicing certain parts due to the drivers being intimidated.
    Basically, my point is, if YOU find Ballyfermot scary, then Ballyfermot must be ****ing scary! Nah, as I said, it's a big area, I've no doubt lots of it is absolutely fine, but my own experience of the main street on one particular day was more intimidating than the norm.

And I emphasise the main street, not some obscure network of back alleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

It's not that bad a place but yes you do have to keep your faculties about you. You're not likely to risk being shot once you mind your business and keep looking ahead.

I lived there for 23 years and I've lived to tell the tale! I never felt comfortable in the place though to be very honest, some valid points were made here, just because one may not find offence with being asked for money several times in a row, which does happen a lot there, and that main street has it's fair share of rows etc. it doesn't mean everyone is capable of, or should have to just get over it and become hardened to it all, it's a tough environment that growing up in I never personally hardened to, I just began hating it more.

Sometimes it'd be nice to wander through a clean aired environment with flowers in pots on the street and a pleasant surrounding, instead of piss stained pavements and yobos waiting for their next hit with their cans of cider at the bus stop while people struggle from Tescos with their groceries and their tribes of kids. Having said that I met some of the nicest people I ever knew from there so in balance... if environment is important to you, and you put emphasis on aesthetics, run like f*ck.... if you don't mind that then I'd say move there. But, as another person mentioned, do not sit down the back of the 78a, or upstairs at all at rush hour for that matter.

Excellent balanced post, Babooshka. And yep, I've no doubt most people from there are fantastic, but it's amazing how much power a small band of scumbags can command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Dublinmadyoke and Dubman25 are the same person, no?

If Dustin the Turkey has ever abbreviated it, don't live there. For example: the 'mun, the 'fermot, the 'brack, the 'shaugh, and the 'noggin. You won't go far wrong with this formula.

LOL

What about those difficult to abbreviate places though? E.g. Jobstown?

Has he ever mentioned da 'Bough? I drove through Ballybough once - not purty.

• Advertisement

LOL
    What about those difficult to abbreviate places though? E.g. Jobstown?

I always wanted to say the 'laght', but I don't think he has... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

stovelid wrote: »
    I always wanted to say the 'laght', but I don't think he has... :)
    Do what my mate does who lives there ...she calls it "Tallit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

So dublinmadyoke went there in the morning, stayed in the college all day and left before the sun went down. Seems only fair that his opinion should be valued much more highly than Dudess who only went there on a trip. :rolleyes:

End of the day SamuelMarino you're bringing your girlfriend to live there and without wishing to be sexist she's probably easier to intimidate than you. That's why I'd think Dudess's post more informed than the other lad.

If you're renting you're spoiled for choice in Dublin especially now before the students come back up.

Ballymun is pretty bogey area, also Chasers is a dive tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I just found this discussion in AH dealing with scummers in Ballyfermot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement