Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To HD or Not?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have a 500gb hd now. Its not that good, well standard. I have partitioned it in two, one 365gb partition which has got 200gb left and a 100gb partition which has 12gb left. I want to dual boot windows and linux (mandriva) and windows is on my current drive. Should I buy another 320gb hd for linux? The only reason I ask is because I don't want to lose any data on my hd.

If I need to get one what about this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stamen

Can you resize partitions without losing data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

yes, you can resize without loosing data. Just use Partition Magic or Acronis Disc Director, backup your vital data and do defragmentation before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Stamen wrote: »
    I have a 500gb hd now. Its not that good, well standard. I have partitioned it in two, one 365gb partition which has got 200gb left and a 100gb partition which has 12gb left. I want to dual boot windows and linux (mandriva) and windows is on my current drive. Should I buy another 320gb hd for linux? The only reason I ask is because I don't want to lose any data on my hd.

If I need to get one what about this one?

You could always use the "wubi" installer in the new version of ubuntu. It will allow you to install ubuntu like a regular app within windows on any partition, will setup the bootloader for you. No need to resize partitions etc.

You can then uninstall it like a regular app if you get sick of it...

Pretty slick and prob the easiest way of doing a dual boot with out mucking about with your partitions.

Sounds like a good option for you.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080224-wubi-arrives-a-look-at-ubuntu-8-04-alpha-5.html

Tested it on my main pc, installed and uninstalled without any issues.

Advertisement