Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Natal Depression

• 21-07-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Can post-natal depression last for years if left untreated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many people that suffer from depression do so on an extended basis. However, it becomes much more manageable over time.

I don't know the specifics of Post-Natal Depression, but I have heard of some people doing some fairly (shall I say) "wacky" things, but only in the first year or two.

As with any medical condition, treatment is preferable to no treatment. treatment can take various forms, including but not limited to medication and counselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Post natal depression which can be triggered by normal 'baby blues' can go on for years and the failure to cope can turn into parenthood related depression and just over all depression and yes unless a person seeks or get help it can last for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

My friend's mother suffered from post-natal depression, and I think it became full blown depression (despite getting help) because 20 years later she's still on medication. But I'm only going by what he has said, and maybe there was something there before she had children.

Advertisement