Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are cycle trailers road legal?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

When I lived on the continient I used my bicycle for most trips and for further distances I cycled to the train station and made sure to get on the the carriage that had bike hooks. I always enjoyed cycling.
    My neighbours used these great trailers to do the shopping and other errands. I thought they were great - they were based on the size of a crate of beer. When I came back to Ireland my friends and family poured cold water on any notions I had of buying one and bringing it back saying that it was not legal. So I checked with a local friendly garda who said they were right. Now a few years later -I'm a mature art student and can't easily carry some of the gear I need on my carrier or in regular paniers so the question has come up again.
    Has this changed? Are cycle trailers legal or not? Anyone using one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

paintkaz wrote: »
    Are cycle trailers legal or not? Anyone using one?
    I think the law is not very prescriptive as long as it's not a motor vehicle.

But, reflectors, maybe some kind of visibility flag and an effective rear lamp would be a good idea, if not mandatory.

Good luck trying to haul it over our absurd cycle tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd be very surprised if there is a specific law relating to bike trailers. Even if there was the chances of being stopped / getting in trouble for using one are absolutely nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paintkaz

Thanks for the thoughts on this.
    The trip I have in mind is about 12miles round. Nearly half of it is on a kind of "hard shoulder" on the side of a 80kmph road. Its pretty gritty but no real pot holes at the moment. The worst part is always the hill that starts just outside my house and lasts for the first mile - i.e. when I'm not warmed up yet.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Well, I’ve seen loads of these things around which attach to the back of a bike and allow a child to sit on and be pulled along behind. Like this:
    bike.jpg

It’d behave in the same way as a trailer and it doesn’t seem to be illegal. On that basis what you’re suggesting must be legal. Or more specifically not illegal.

Personally I think it’s a great idea. I’d use an old wheelie bin with a string tied around the handles and Christmas lights wrapped around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

paintkaz wrote: »
    Thanks for the thoughts on this.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen the manager of 'CycleLogical' using one like that.

• Advertisement

LOL! thats a great idea - I could probably call it some kind of performance or installation art while I'm at it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Where in law does it say that trailers are not legal for bicycles.

I haven't been able to find it myself, hence my posting.I was told by a bicycle shop owner and asked a garda who concurred. I was surprised. This was about ten years ago.

Advertisement