Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will be the first premiership manager to get the bullet this season

• 21-07-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Im going for benitez!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Benitez my arse. Ronaldo either gone or out for the start of the season (though Berbatov may make up for it), Spurs are in pieces, Arsenal not looking great bar Cesc (honestly dont see Nasri setting the PL on fire), Chelsea losing Drogba, Scolaris poor team at Euro 08, Keane signed, Torres upping his tally (and hopefully improving his away form) and the likes of Skrtel will become even more established this year. I reckon top 2 this year (though for some reason Arsenal will win the CL according to my crystal testicle). Liverpools main threat is Man U in the form of Berbatov arriving and Nani coming on leaps and bounds if he gets regular starts, which he ought to. And jaysus let this be the season they get rid of Anderson. Horrific player. However a team that can call on Ronaldo, Berbatov and Rooney in every match is a beast.

Which, of course, they thankfully cannot. Heres hoping for alot of points dropped while Ron is out. Even when back you have to wonder how well he will play with a team and a fanbase that hate him (really, I can imagine Rooney is kicking himself he let the 2006 incident fly.)

Scolari!

Abramovich is clearly nuts (150 million for Kaka?) so he would have no trouble buying out the contract. Reckon he may well be found out myself. They wont replace Drogs with anyone of a similiar class.

tbh I cant see any mid season sackings. Ramos may well resign though, his board are taking the piss at this stage and Im sure he is sorry he ever got involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ferguson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Scolari obviously because he failed with Portugal and hasn't managed a European club before.Guaranteed to fail......................

He only ever won a world cup, sure anyone could have with that Brazil team!!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One of the three n00b clubs, it always is.

Or else Curbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

I dont know benitez will be under a everest-like ammount of pressure and those americans are a fickel bunch, as illustrated last season when they were tapping up klinsman. If he suceeds in getting barry and keane ,and they get off to a poor start, the media will be out to lynch him, which in turn will worry the yanks, who to be honest will now want to see some kind of progress on their investment, that and ,the credit crunch, and the recession will all add to the presure. He needs to hit the ground running or its adieos! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Des wrote: »
    One of the three n00b clubs, it always is.

It rarely is one of the newbies, their managers tend to be given a decent amount of time.

Last year was 1st Mourinho 33/1. 2nd Lee 8/1. 3rd Jol 50/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Martin O' Neill. Aston Villa will be embroiled in a relegation battle come November.

I can see Keegan parting ways with Newcastle this season.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Martin O' Neill. Aston Villa will be embroiled in a relegation battle come November.
    what makes you so sure of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

are we talking about firing or walking? i reckon Benitez could walk if the Hicks/Gillet thing escalates again. but he won't be fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CHD wrote: »
    what makes you so sure of that?

The Barry thing will hurt them. Mellberg is a huge loss. They are seriously lacking in squad depth / options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Des wrote: »
    Or else Curbs.

I think this is a good shout. He did well with West Ham last season given how injury-ravaged they were, but given how trigger happy they were with Pardew I wouldn't be surprised if he went at the first sign of trouble.

I reckon Steve Gibson's patience may finally run out if Southgate doesn't start well with Middlesbrough too.

are we talking about firing or walking?

First to exit by any means : walking, firing, imprisonment, death.
    Otherwise you get into 'by mutual consent' territory where we all suspect it was a firing anyway.

I reckon Steve Gibson's patience may finally run out if Southgate doesn't start well with Middlesbrough too.

I actually think this is most likely. Middlesborough have horribly underachieved in my book for the past few seasons, it's amazing to think they can consistently give the big boys such a run for their money yet struggle to avoid the relegation battles. with the squad they have they should be pushing for a UEFA cup spot imo, but they'll never do under Southgate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Otherwise you get into 'by mutual consent' territory where we all suspect it was a firing anyway.

yep!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Curbishley or Southgate

However if a board room screws a manager or the manager walks:

Benitez- if last seasons off-field problems continue and hes given no financial backing, so far it seems he has to sell to buy
    Kevin Keegan- wouldent be the first time and is he in full control ?
    Moyes- Everton dont seem to have any money or support in the chairman/board atm apparently he hasnt been the happiest while doing a brilliant job.
    Keane- he's been far too incident free recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Curbs or Soutgate to get fired, 'Arry to walk by late November as Pompey struggle and he realises he has taken them as far as they will go.

As for Keegan, whilst obviously i'm biased, I can't see it.

Financially, his soccer school up in Glasgow cost him a shed load, and I don't think he can afford to walk away from his contract. If he was going to walk away over 'control' issues, it would have happened already, but he seems content with the present setup of the club.

As for getting fired, no one has a magic eightball, but Mike Ashley is trying to build long term, and is aware that he still has to win over alot of fans. Sacking the man who is held in high regard by most in that city will not be a wise move, and MA knows it.

The Barry thing will hurt them. Mellberg is a huge loss. They are seriously lacking in squad depth / options.
    Forgot about Melberg, that is a big loss.

Can't see them anywhere near a relegation battle though.

Out of curiousity is this how the bookies run this?

Death? Hmm. Surely all that roaring isnt good for a man of Fergies age! :eek:

Ever been a season where everyone survived?

shane86 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity is this how the bookies run this?

Death? Hmm. Surely all that roaring isnt good for a man of Fergies age! :eek:

Yeah, the betting shops settle it as first to leave under any circumstances (though its still referred by the media pundits as 'The Sack Race').

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

If Blackburn don't get off to a good start I believe Paul Ince will go. He will be the first to go in my opinion. It is very difficult to come from the lower leagues and be successful. I think Blackburn are taking a massive gamble on him, one I believe will backfire on them...watch this space.

Good man ArmaniJeans. I suppose as you said "mutual consent" would blur the whole thing otherwise.

Sod the prem, Im putting money on Max Moseley dying writhing in agony in some unforeseen highly embarassing circumstances.:eek: :cool:

With all that is happening at Spurs though I think a tenner on Ramos (he will quit IMO, they are destroying his team)

DenMan wrote: »
    If Blackburn don't get off to a good start I believe Paul Ince will go. He will be the first to go in my opinion. It is very difficult to come from the lower leagues and be successful. I think Blackburn are taking a massive gamble on him, one I believe will backfire on them...watch this space.

Blackburn have never really been a club though to sack early. I think they know Ince will need bedding in time, and if Friedal and Bentley leave, then he will surely be given a decent amount of slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hodgson at Fulham

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hodgson at Fulham

Not at all. He has earnt a years grace by doing the unimaginable and keeping them up last season. Aside from that though, I think he is a quality manager, and will restore some sort of stability to Fulham so that they are no longer the favourites to go down each season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm gonna go with Gary Megson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Curbishley with any luck. West ham fans should hope for it, they might not end thier season in March.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Saw this and thought of Curbishley immediately - can see their being problems at West Ham this season and Curbs not being able to blame a horrendous run of injuries like last year.

Moyes - just signed a new contract so I doubt it will be him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Megson at Bolton and Hodgson at Fulham would be my biggest shouts. They got their teams out of danger last season but I doubt the board will forget how they got in such trouble in the first place

• Advertisement

Purely out of interest (and I know theres a quality gambling forum on boards which this would be better suited to) heres a link to the bookmakers odds on this.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/barclays-premiership/next-manager-to-leave-post

Curbs and Megson disputing favouritism, whoever mentioned MO'Neill/Ramos can get 50/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Blackburn have never really been a club though to sack early. I think they know Ince will need bedding in time, and if Friedal and Bentley leave, then he will surely be given a decent amount of slack.

I hope so Charlie but with clubs all vying for European places every year and all the money that goes along with it, they can be very ruthless especially with the money being invested. Blackburn really ought to move forward, they are a big club (me saying this as an Arsenal supporter). I think Ince will find it difficult to make progress and with the Blackburn board breathing down his neck I believe he will be the first to go. It was only a few years ago there was talk of them breaking into the top four and pushing for the Champions League. And as you know what kind of figures we are talking about when it comes to that competition, and with the gap widening every year between the top 4 and everyone else points really matter (and of course £££)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I can't believe so many people are tipping Curbishley, I think he's a good manager who with a fit squad should do a lot better this year. Also there is no way O'Neill will be first to go, even if Villa have a terrible start (which I doubt) neither he himself nor the villa board will want him to go.

I would say Keegan, but I was wrong about him making it to the end of last season so I'll leave off on him for a while. I reckon Southgate has got to be favorite, a pretty inexperienced manager who's team underachieved last year and hasn't really been strengthened in the summer, I think patience will run out soon enough. Or it could be any of the promoted teams.

Megson at Bolton and Hodgson at Fulham would be my biggest shouts. They got their teams out of danger last season but I doubt the board will forget how they got in such trouble in the first place

Eh? So Megson and Hodgson rescue thier teams and are then put on parole?

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh? So Megson and Hodgson rescue thier teams and are then put on parole?

Mike

Keep in mind just how bad Hodgson did for so long. It was his fault that they got in that mess. Megson is in a similar position and is not popular with the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wreck wrote: »
    I can't believe so many people are tipping Curbishley, I think he's a good manager who with a fit squad should do a lot better this year. Also there is no way O'Neill will be first to go, even if Villa have a terrible start (which I doubt) neither he himself nor the villa board will want him to go.
    There's certainly no excuses for West Ham not to be top 6 or 7 this season if they're lucky with injuries. A very good defence in Neill, Ferdinand, Upson and McCartney. They could field 2 midfields that could compete for a top half finish.

Faubert --- Noble --- Parker --- Ljungberg

Etherington --- Mullins --- Dyer --- Boa Morte

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Keep in mind just how bad Hodgson did for so long. It was his fault that they got in that mess. Megson is in a similar position and is not popular with the fans

Well I'd be willing to cut some slack, its not easy to turn round clubs with little money or time.

Mike.

Eh, Hodgson took over in January, and Fulham were already in the bottom 3, if anyone is to blame it's Sanchez blowing the seasons budget on washed up NI players, and silly signings like 6m on Kamara...

He's worked absolute miracles with that club, and got them playing some decent football as well

I was under the believe that Hodgson had a spell in charge where they didn't win for something like 2 months?

Wreck wrote: »
    I would say Keegan, but I was wrong about him making it to the end of last season so I'll leave off on him for a while.

Nah, pop him down on your list. He will be more than happy to prove you wrong again.

I was under the believe that Hodgson had a spell in charge where they didn't win for something like 2 months?

Considering that Fulham couldn't buy an away win for nearly two years, and the teams he was faced with when he initially took over, Hodgson performed miracles. His stock rose after last season, not diminish.

Megson is slightly different considering Bolton were in better shape and he made some odd choices (e.g. letting Anelka go when he probably could have kept him till the end of the season)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

nobody. or else megson.

And thats the basis for lambasting him?

He was only in charge for 5 months (18 games), and they won 6, drew 3, lost 9 - which is an unreal record for a team in the bottom 3 at Christmas.

There's really not much you can do, when your squad was built by Laurie Sanchez and Chris Coleman!, you're in the relegation zone at xmas, your two best players are injured, with defenders who can't defend and a midfeld who have spent the last 2 seasons watching the ball bypass them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I reckon Ince. It looks like a lot of players are heading for the exit door, Blackburn are always quite tight in the transfer market and the huge gulf between the premiership and his previous job could prove telling. They could find themselves propping up the table until Ince finds his feet.

With all the supposed financial problems at West Ham, can they afford to pay off Curbishley and get in a new guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I reckon it'll be somebody at a club with unrealistic expectations that aren't met early, so I think Ince may be the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DSB wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with Gary Megson.

Yep Megson for me too. Bolton were shocking last year and haven't added to the squad at all apart from the unbelievable decision to fork out 11 million for Johan Elmander. A scandalous amount of money and a decision that could come back to haunt Megson when he fails to deliver and bolton are sitting rock bottom by October.

less than that, it was about 6 weeks i think. but he still had an awful slow start, and was quite fortuitous in the end i think. I think he's a decent manager, but considering how small a club they are i think they'll be sucked into the relegation battle again, but i don't think he'll be the first to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

This Thread needs a poll! i will go with Southgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Nah, pop him down on your list. He will be more than happy to prove you wrong again.

Ok, just to keep you happy I'll say Keegan won't be at Newcastle for the start of next season (i.e. 2009/10).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

shane86 wrote: »
    Benitez my arse. Ronaldo either gone or out for the start of the season (though Berbatov may make up for it), Spurs are in pieces, Arsenal not looking great bar Cesc (honestly dont see Nasri setting the PL on fire), Chelsea losing Drogba, Scolaris poor team at Euro 08, Keane signed, Torres upping his tally (and hopefully improving his away form) and the likes of Skrtel will become even more established this year. I reckon top 2 this year (though for some reason Arsenal will win the CL according to my crystal testicle). Liverpools main threat is Man U in the form of Berbatov arriving and Nani coming on leaps and bounds if he gets regular starts, which he ought to. And jaysus let this be the season they get rid of Anderson. Horrific player. However a team that can call on Ronaldo, Berbatov and Rooney in every match is a beast.

Which, of course, they thankfully cannot. Heres hoping for alot of points dropped while Ron is out. Even when back you have to wonder how well he will play with a team and a fanbase that hate him (really, I can imagine Rooney is kicking himself he let the 2006 incident fly.)

Scolari!

Abramovich is clearly nuts (150 million for Kaka?) so he would have no trouble buying out the contract. Reckon he may well be found out myself. They wont replace Drogs with anyone of a similiar class.

tbh I cant see any mid season sackings. Ramos may well resign though, his board are taking the piss at this stage and Im sure he is sorry he ever got involved.

good god there is a lot wrong with that post

i would say not a chance to that. relegation battle??!

steve gibson is a very patient manager, i dont think there is even a hint of a chance he would sack southgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Funnily enough my mates and I were talking about this last night.

The 1st 3 names that came into my head were Ince, Megson and Curbishley.

If I were to pick one I would say Ince.

• Advertisement
Advertisement