Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Name and website

Options
  • 21-07-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I've had a little nixer running for a while now and as it turns out someone else has the .ie domain registered under the same name. I looked up the website under whois.com and found that they have the domain name due to "Registered Business name".
    However, when I searched for it on CRO.ie there was no sign of it or anything like it - any idea how this could be. And also, if I go ahead and register the business name first have I any rights over that domain name?
    Would appreciate any help on this...hope it makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

short answer no, think of a new name

that domain is owned by a company, charity, registered business etc... If it wasn't they would not have been allowed to purchase a .ie domain

There are ways to contest it but if the owner has a genuine claim to that domain there's not much you can ever do... besides buy there busness;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Louise77 wrote: »
    I've had a little nixer running for a while now and as it turns out someone else has the .ie domain registered under the same name. I looked up the website under whois.com and found that they have the domain name due to "Registered Business name".
    However, when I searched for it on CRO.ie there was no sign of it or anything like it - any idea how this could be. And also, if I go ahead and register the business name first have I any rights over that domain name?
    Would appreciate any help on this...hope it makes sense!

Certainly register your business name, even if you do or do not want a .ie domain.

Can you try a slight variation on your name for the domain?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

When you go to register a domain name there are a number of criteria, using a registered business name is one route. The domain you register just has to be proven to be somewhat similar or related for you to get it so you wont necessarily find the exact name registered on the CRO website. Your best bet is to register a business name and then get a domain name similar to that whcih you want, although i would suggest that you consider will the other people be running a business similiar to yours in competition, in which case i wouldnt go with a similar name with a variation as it will be too close. Instead try come up with something else different and catchy.
    Also you dont have any rights over the domain if you register the business first, its a first come first served basis in terms of the domains, once someone proves they have a right to it then its theres regardless if someone has a business with the exact name of the domain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

short answer no, think of a new name

that domain is owned by a company, charity, registered business etc... If it wasn't they would not have been allowed to purchase a .ie domain

thats not strictly true as theres a few .ie domains i've come across that should not have been registered to their current owners. and there are other cases of blatent squatting also.

OP if you REALLY want to get the domain and think you have a valid claim then you will have to follow the instructions as outlined at http://www.iedr.ie/DisputeRes.php , http://www.iedr.ie/IEDRP-Policy.php .

For an idea of whether your likely to win or not a list of their past decisions and details of cases are listed at http://www.iedr.ie/IEDRP-Decisions.php

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

<snip>

No pimping.
    The Scientist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

OP - Pick a new name as already suggested.

I had same issue 3 years ago, a smart bastrd i knew went and registered my business name as a .ie. Cheeky cnt even tried to sell it back to me for 2500!

I went to solicitors about it, who in turn contacted WIPO (world intellectual property organisation). They told me it would cost minimum of 2K in legal fees and this would not guarantee getting the domain back. So i said - "Fuk That"!

Waited until last year when the bastrd who registered my domain got bored owning it. I simply waited for its renewal date to come up and put in the order!

It worked. Sometimes it easier to walk around a wall than through it!

Advertisement