Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting started.

Options
  • 21-07-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

My brother was wondering if it is possible to apply for a full licence straight away after getting a provisional licence. Or is there a certain amount of time that must pass before he can do so.

He has his Theory test in the next 2 weeks and wants to apply for a full straight after passing (confident at least :rolleyes:). I have suggested he wait a while at least but i believe he wants to have a full licence before he leaves for Japan.

I work in insurance and i have noticed that some 17 year olds have full licences so, unless they are lying, i am a bit stumped for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Noobsaibot21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi all,

My brother was wondering if it is possible to apply for a full licence straight away after getting a provisional licence. Or is there a certain amount of time that must pass before he can do so.

He has his Theory test in the next 2 weeks and wants to apply for a full straight after passing (confident at least :rolleyes:). I have suggested he wait a while at least but i believe he wants to have a full licence before he leaves for Japan.

I work in insurance and i have noticed that some 17 year olds have full licences so, unless they are lying, i am a bit stumped for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Noobsaibot21
    He'll have to obtain a Learner Permit, pass a driving test and get a Certificate of Competency before applying for a Full Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A lot of this info is in the stickies! You must have held your Learners Permit for at least 6 months on the day you sit your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Cheers. That'll show him how to have patience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I work in insurance and i have noticed that some 17 year olds have full licences so, unless they are lying, i am a bit stumped for this.
    Nothing remotely surprising about this (well except in Ireland)

You can apply for a B (car) licence at 17, so potentially, even with the new regs, at 17.5 you could pass your test and be on the road legally, decades before many who didnt bother and are now stuck.

Research in the UK has shown the longer you leave it to learn after 20, the longer it takes to pass.

Advertisement