Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A problem with torque wrenches!

Options
  • 21-07-2008 9:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today I wrote off a Race Face SRX bottom bracket because of a simple oversight. Anyone familiar with torque wrenches knows that they click when you reach the necessary torque setting. However my one only clicks in one direction and bottom brackets have threads tightening in both directions so I ended up over tightening the drive side and sheering off the section that the bb removal tool fits into. Thankfully I was able to remove the damaged bb and I even had a spare to hand so I'm back in business but make sure the rest of you bear this in mind when carrying out similar work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Hermy wrote: »
    Today I wrote off a Race Face SRX bottom bracket because of a simple oversight. Anyone familiar with torque wrenches knows that they click when you reach the necessary torque setting. However my one only clicks in one direction ...
    Often, all you need to do is push the square drive through to the other side & it's a left-handed torque wrench. The Park tools one is great, cuz it just uses a bendy bar and a scale (both directions) to show the torque.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'll know better next time.
    However I think I now know why the bb was so noisy - always over tightened after servicing. Silver lining and all that...:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Stripped the threads on a stem there myself last week, I'll be buying a torque wrench shortly. Was planning on the Park Tool from CRC, when it comes back into stock. What do you have Hermy and what's the range? Presumably something you are using on the bottom bracket would be unsuitable for stem bolts etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Myself and a friend have a set of bike tools between us. Some tools are too expensive for one person for one bike but we have a few bikes between us and help out a few friends with bikes as well so it's been a good investment for both of us to put together a set of dedicated bike tools. However the torque wrench I was using - much like the one in the link and bought in Lidl - would be more suited to fixing cars and the like. The 'bicycle' torque wrench happened to be in his shed every time I went at the bb so that's where I walked myself into problems.
    As an aside, so time ago I stripped a thread installing a Race Face stem using the proper torque wrench at the proper setting and thanks to having a good rapport with the LBS they replaced the stem. Plus one for them!
    EDIT: 'Proper torque wrench' might be a bit misleading. Tis a small wrench with small max torque settings - not sure of the range off hand - so it's perfect for stem, head set, bottom bracket et al.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement