Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Kilkee, what to do

Options
  • 21-07-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,
    Heading down to kilkee with my girlfriend this weekend for a couple of days, its been years since i was there.
    Anyone have any tips for places to check out, pubs, restaurants etc???
    Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Murphy Blacks is a fantastic restaurant in Kilkee. It's a bit pricey and you may need to make a reservation but it is so worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Kilkee is actually one of the best places in Ireland, possibly even Europe for scuba diving, see if you can do a beginners dive somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

lots of info here http://www.kilkee.ie/visiting_activities.html

enjoy your break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Kilkee is actually one of the best places in Ireland, possibly even Europe for scuba diving, see if you can do a beginners dive somewhere.

with all respect...

i think everybody here knows how much you love and defend limerick regardless the topic. we also know that kilkee is at least at summer time virtually a part of limerick. if they're not here you'll meet them there. y'know what i mean.

but to say kilkee would be one of the best places for scuba diving in europe (!) is... erm... parochial? typical parochial ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

with all respect...

i think everybody here knows how much you love and defend limerick regardless the topic. we also know that kilkee is at least at summer time virtually a part of limerick. if they're not here you'll meet them there. y'know what i mean.

but to say kilkee would be one of the best places for scuba diving in europe (!) is... erm... parochial? typical parochial ireland...
    QFT TClock.

• Advertisement

with all respect...

Jacques Costeau said it was one of the best places in the world to dive, I've spoken to Australian divers who rave about the place, I've received lectures from Dublin divers who give out to me for not diving there more. So, maybe I'm being parochial, maybe I'm listening to experts. Any chance you'd take your negativity to a thread you know something about?

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    QFT TClock.

Sigh, again, kilkee is a highly rated scuba diving spot. I mean, it's possible you more about it than experienced divers, I don't know, but any diver I've spoken to (and being a diver, although and inexperienced one, myself) has loved the place. I don't see why you struggle about believing it.

Sigh, again, kilkee is a highly rated scuba diving spot. I mean, it's possible you more about it than experienced divers, I don't know, but any diver I've spoken to (and being a diver, although and inexperienced one, myself) has loved the place. I don't see why you struggle about believing it.
    :) no need to explain your knowledge again, I read your last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

OP - there's another lovely restaurant about two miles outside Kilkee (on the Kilrush road) opposite Lisdeen Church....Keanes. Probably no harm to make a reservation, but most evenings you should be fine without one. The Indian in Kilkee is also lovely....it's on the left hand side of O'Curry street about halfway down. I think it's called Punjab. For something more casual, Myles Creek does great food all day. I've also heard Mauds is great for ice-cream if you get the weather for it.

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    :) no need to explain your knowledge again, I read your last post.

I actually think there is, Talking Clock is an extraordinarily negative person who only appears on these boards to complain about everything and anything to do with Limerick. Quite why he or she wishes to spread this malaise to Kilkee is beyond me but I'm sick of every single post from them being in the same vein of utter misery.

The beaches of Clare, like Kilkee, Lahinch and Spanish point are among the best in Ireland and I'm glad they are within a short drive of Limerick, they are great for surfing, diving, snorkeling, swimming, playing and enjoying, so why accuse someone or parochialism simply for pointing out what great amenities they are?

I'm disappointed you share his or her view, the west coast of Clare is a wonderful place, hell, the West coast of Ireland from Cork to Donegal is littered with simply great places to go.

• Advertisement

I actually think there is, Talking Clock is an extraordinarily negative person who only appears on these boards to complain about everything and anything to do with Limerick. Quite why he or she wishes to spread this malaise to Kilkee is beyond me but I'm sick of every single post from them being in the same vein of utter misery.

The beaches of Clare, like Kilkee, Lahinch and Spanish point are among the best in Ireland and I'm glad they are within a short drive of Limerick, they are great for surfing, diving, snorkeling, swimming, playing and enjoying, so why accuse someone or parochialism simply for pointing out what great amenities they are?

I'm disappointed you share his or her view, the west coast of Clare is a wonderful place, hell, the West coast of Ireland from Cork to Donegal is littered with simply great places to go.
    Jebus Amazo, no need to go CRAZEE.

I agreed with TClock in principle , that more often then not you will defend Limerick to the death, that is all.

I do think you taking this all very personally, TClock literally said Kilkee = Limerick in the Summer months which is true, and also he questioned your comment on the Scuba Diving, in turn you corrected him quite admirably based upon your Scuba knowledge.

Having read some of TClock's post he does seem very negative about Limerick. Your like complete opposites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Jacques Costeau said it was one of the best places in the world to dive, I've spoken to Australian divers who rave about the place, I've received lectures from Dublin divers who give out to me for not diving there more. So, maybe I'm being parochial, maybe I'm listening to experts.

*sigh* and the pope says using condoms is a sin.
    and i tell you the beach between Killmetoo and Bullygobackwards is the WORLD'S (!) best beach for scuba diving! take my word and take this as a fact! now...
    Any chance you'd take your negativity to a thread you know something about?

i bow humble before your universal knowledge and your only true absolute truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

and i tell you the beach between Killmetoo and Bullygobackwards is the WORLD'S (!) best beach for scuba diving! take my word and take this as a fact! now...

wow great comeback :rolleyes:

Kilkee and all along the west coast is well known for having great spots for diving.
    He offered the OP something interesting and different from the norm to do while down there. Your post on the other hand contributes nothing.

Can't you just accept you're wrong like an adult and appreciate maybe not everything in the midwest is as bad as you hope it is?

OP, heres a good website on some of the various diving spots.

http://www.tempoweb.com/diveireland/kilkee.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Actually he is spot on about the area's reputation with regards to diving.

It is known as one of the better spots in Europe, and has been well known for this fact for the last decade or so.

The town itself I have no time for, but for diving and fishing, the two things I do in the area at times, it is well known for it's quality and rightly so.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Actually he is spot on about the area's reputation with regards to diving.

It is known as one of the better spots in Europe, and has been well known for this fact for the last decade or so.

The town itself I have no time for, but for diving and fishing, the two things I do in the area at times, it is well known for it's quality and rightly so.

What's the cliff outside Kilkee that's great for fishing? there's a long stone bank on the top of it and it juts out over the sea abit? My brother goes there a good bit but I've never been much of a fisherman.

On the town itself, it's a sadly dilapidated place imo. They should repave all the streets and completely redesign the seafront/promenade. The town itself is nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

the west coast of Clare is a wonderful place, hell, the West coast of Ireland from Cork to Donegal is littered with simply great places to go.

i agree the west coast of ireland is a wonderful place.. but to think that any beach in clare is better than the beaches in kerry is ridiculous.. castlegregory has water that you can see the bottom from 30 feet.. most of the beaches in clare have murky water.. the waves in lahinch are totally overrated why wait all year for a couple days surf when bundoran or donegal bay are constant.. only reason i would head to clare (for beach purposes) is if i was stuck for time.. dont get me wrong clare is beautiful.. and i would not say a bad thing about it but there is better elsewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

The blue pool? Out towards Quilty. Great spot for mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

agree that kilkee town is a hole, i think what sums it up is that horrible place called arcadia leisure centre, and a chipper called "take away"! but i'm interested in the diving, i did a few dives in the red sea, off the sinai penninsula in egypt, it was amazing, and would love to do a few here, didnt know it was available so close, heard S.W. kerry was great for diving alrite, also where are the good snorkelling spots, i'd have thought the water close to the shoreline would be much too shallow for that

Stab*City wrote: »
    i agree the west coast of ireland is a wonderful place.. but to think that any beach in clare is better than the beaches in kerry is ridiculous.. castlegregory has water that you can see the bottom from 30 feet.. most of the beaches in clare have murky water.. the waves in lahinch are totally overrated why wait all year for a couple days surf when bundoran or donegal bay are constant.. only reason i would head to clare (for beach purposes) is if i was stuck for time.. dont get me wrong clare is beautiful.. and i would not say a bad thing about it but there is better elsewhere..

Why split hairs, I'm happy I live near Kerry too. Spent most of my summers down in Rossbeigh as a kid and it's a top spot as well. Learned to dive in the dive centre in Castlegregory, really haven't down enough in the last year or so though.

The main reason I listed those beaches as they are roughly an hour to 80 mins away from Limerick, not that they are the best beaches in Ireland, still better than most mind.

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    agree that kilkee town is a hole, i think what sums it up is that horrible place called arcadia leisure centre, and a chipper called "take away"! but i'm interested in the diving, i did a few dives in the red sea, off the sinai penninsula in egypt, it was amazing, and would love to do a few here, didnt know it was available so close, heard S.W. kerry was great for diving alrite, also where are the good snorkelling spots, i'd have thought the water close to the shoreline would be much too shallow for that

Try the scuba forum, but afaik Kilkee is up there with any where you'll get in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Why split hairs, I'm happy I live near Kerry too. Spent most of my summers down in Rossbeigh as a kid and it's a top spot as well. Learned to dive in the dive centre in Castlegregory, really haven't down enough in the last year or so though.

The main reason I listed those beaches as they are roughly an hour to 80 mins away from Limerick, not that they are the beaches in Ireland, still better than most mind.

for some reason i just love kerry.. maybe its the remoteness of the place.. (is that a word?!?) castlegregory is a great spot for snorkelling.. they also have fun water things floating around.. plus the back beach for the waves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

personally I'd take Brandon bay, back beach, over Kilkee and Lahinch any day...it's beautiful down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    The blue pool? Out towards Quilty. Great spot for mackerel.

Bridges of Ross is a fantastic spot for Mackerel. Not sure if it's anywhere near your blue pool though, haven't heard of it, although i'm not a big fisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PearlDrummer

The blue pool? There are only brown trout there, no mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

The blue pool? There are only brown trout there, no mackerel.
    the blue pool is between doonbeg and kilkee.tons of mackerel and the odd pollock. dangerous spot though,2 lads drown there last year in seperate incidents.

Advertisement