Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will be the surprise star in the premiership?

• 21-07-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I think Roy o donovan will really make a name for himself this year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jonas 'Spiderman' Gutierrez for me, but then I would say that, wouldn't I.

I actually think this might be the year that James Milner really hits top form.

Outside of Newcastle:

- Ashley Young to continue to perform strongly and catch the attention of the Big 4.

- Anderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sitout wrote: »
    I think Roy o donovan will really make a name for himself this year!

i don't. this one is too hard too call yet imo, as so few deals have been completed.

I do think the combination of Crouch and Defoe though could be very potent for Portsmouth, i reckon they might be the highest scoring forward combo outside the top 4.

I'm also going to suggest that should Chimbonda join Sunderland that he'll do more than a decent job for them, Keane is the type of authoritarian figure that imo gets the most out of oft erratic players like Chimbonda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

I actually think this might be the year that James Milner really hits top form.

Outside of Newcastle:

- Ashley Young to continue to perform strongly and catch the attention of the Big 4.

- Anderson

these are hardly surprise picks now to be fair!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jonas

yeah I expect another big year from Ashley especially if Villa get a decent RM so that he isnt double marked, but I am worried about when teams start sniffing about him not that anyone will make MON sell anyone he doesent want to.

think Alfonso Alves will be worth looking at this year, pity his team will probably let the black Keano down.

Actually think Nani will be much improved this year although maybe not in the first few months. He will get much more game time though having been bought as Giggs replacement, now is the time to phase the Welshman out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Salomon Kalou and Jon Obi Mikel if they are given the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

actually surprised you didnt say Duff charlie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Freddie Sears
    Theo Walcott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

- Anderson

Mother of god :confused: Cack.

Martin Skrtel and the chronically underrated Nani will make their mark this year.

sitout wrote: »
    these are hardly surprise picks now to be fair!

I wouldn't call either of those two 'stars' at the moment. Very promising players, who have shown they have what it takes to cut it in the EPL. My prediction was that next season they transform themselves in to the type of player who would command a £25 million+ transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

shane86 wrote: »

Martin Skrtel and the chronically underrated Nani will make their mark this year.

Cack? Anderson is a serious talent. Better than Nani by a country mile at this stage anyways.

• Advertisement

actually surprised you didn't say Duff charlie

Duff, whilst sh/te for the last 3 years, has kinda already made his name. However, if his fitness holds up, which is a big if, then yeah, I predict that he could become an important player for both club and country again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Invincible

Shevchenko :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Modric for Spurs and Jimmy Bullard are my picks

the chronically underrated Nani will make their mark this year.

Boggled that you would rate Nani above Anderson. Nani is going nowehere fast if he doesn't cop on and sort out his diving and attitude.

Invincible wrote: »
    wouldnt be a surprise but he could improve this year. fingers crossed!

Cack? Anderson is a serious talent. Better than Nani by a country mile at this stage anyways.

The poorest top 4 regular player by a country mile more like. Some of his shots on goal last season were jaw droppers.

rofl at Schevchenko :D Having said that what match was it last year where he either blocked or scored at the death to keep them in with a shout right up to the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭DenMan

My heart says Aaron Ramsey of Arsenal, I been hearing rave reviews of him from Cardiff. I think it is time for Theo Walcott to stand up and take the Premiership by storm this season. My head tells me that it will be Owen Hargreaves, I think he is a great player. However I think Deco will struggle with the pace of the Premiership. I could be wrong about that but I doubt it. Personally I would love to see him do well, helping out defensively could be a weakness I believe.

The poorest top 4 regular player by a country mile more like. Some of his shots on goal last season were jaw droppers.

rofl at Schevchenko :D Having said that what match was it last year where he either blocked or scored at the death to keep them in with a shout right up to the last day.

Against United was it not?

Also, he played a blinder early on in the season against Villa scoring 2 and setting up 1. At any other club, I could see him doing it maybe, but Chelsea will push him further down the pecking order, or out the door, with the money they've got.

Oh sweet Jerusalem. If we judge people by shots (midfielders even) then Lee Hendrie would be a cracking player. However, there is a lot more than that to playing there. He dominated midfield in the game against Liverpool at Anfield and early on in the season he was on the verge of keeping Scholesy out on merit.

On topic, Spidey Gutierrez looks to be a good prospect for next year. If they could get Duff a new set of legs, then those two down the wings could be decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Against United was it not?

Also, he played a blinder early on in the season against Villa scoring 2 and setting up 1. At any other club, I could see him doing it maybe, but Chelsea will push him further down the pecking order, or out the door, with the money they've got.

Especially if they continue their monopoly of central midfielders, there'll barely be room for a striker!

• Advertisement

Oh sweet Jerusalem. If we judge people by shots (midfielders even) then Lee Hendrie would be a cracking player. However, there is a lot more than that to playing there. He dominated midfield in the game against Liverpool at Anfield and early on in the season he was on the verge of keeping Scholesy out on merit.

meh. McShane was near on world class v the Czechs. Proves nothing.

He stank in most of the CL games.

Anyway Im going off topic so my final word on the matter is that he will be found out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have to see the pre season games first but at this stage I think Walcott will have a big season this year. But suppose he does not fall into the surprise category. One player we could be talking about at the end of the season is Jack Wilshere, expect him to get Carling cup action and to be on the bench at Arsenal.

I hate praising Utd players but Anderson is a great talent who will only get better.

meh. McShane was near on world class v the Czechs. Proves nothing.

He stank in most of the CL games.

Anyway Im going off topic so my final word on the matter is that he will be found out :)

He's playing for Manchester United, McShane is playing for Sunderland reserves. That in itself proves a lot. Stank in most of the CL games? I'm shaking my head here!

It is off topic, and I'll close by saying that within the next three years he'll be one of the best midfielders in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arshavin for about two months then he gets found out. Or Voronin ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Arshavin for about two months then he gets found out.

Mike.

When did Zenit join the Premiership :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Curtis Davies and Wheater.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When did Zenit join the Premiership :confused:

Some idiot club - [insert name here] will spend money on him.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A strange one but I like the look of Nevland of Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Max Cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ah Erik Nevland a free transfer in Cm 97/98, did well last year, got some good goals.

For me, would love to see Valeri Bojinov make the break through after a nasty injury at the beginning of last year's season.

Although saying that hope Theo Walcott can really step up this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jonas 'Spiderman' Gutierrez for me, but then I would say that, wouldn't I.

If he adopts to the EPL then definitely.. That was a potentially amazing signing in my opinion.. I would have gladly had him as a backup winger at Barca... Very impressive player..

Surprise star this season? Walcott I think will start growing into his potential, but that's probably not all that surprising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

John O Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anderson, Nani, Babel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Invincible wrote: »

I second that. also Anderson-son-son...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shocked that no one has mentioned Dos Santos?!(or have i just missed it?)
    do people really not rate him?
    Eze, you'd probably be the man best equipped to give an opinion? is he ****

Mr Alan wrote: »

Given his age, his inconsistency last year, and his less than admirable attitude, he will definitely need at least a season to bed in. Also, consider that Spuds could be down their two top strikers, the team as a whole might struggle for large parts of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Luka Modric for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dave Mooney, just depends who he ends up with, could be Chelsea, but he might have to settle for Spurs, Newcastle or Man City.

We could be looking at 30 goals here, depending on injuries etc. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Mr Alan wrote: »

His lack of physicality was shown up in La Liga a couple of times.. He could get absolutely eaten in the EPL... He has the potential to be excellent, has had a good football up bringing and has been around the likes of Ronaldinho and Messi for a bit now too, showing glimpses of brilliance in the pre season and towards the end of last season, so all the traits required are there... Lets see if he can transfer this potential into performance...

I think he'll struggle for at least one more season...

Watch him scored 4 consecutive hat-tricks in his first four games against top 4 clubs now... =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

Luka Modric will have a great season but I won't consider that a surprise.

Clint Dempsey is great for Fulham - won't be much of a shock either there.

soooooo my surprise for this season is......

Dean Ashton to hit 15-20 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Lucas is given games, I reckon he'll do very well.

This could be the year for English forwards though...

Rooney will take the mantle from Ronaldo.
    Crouch and Defoe will form a deadly partnership at Portsmouth.
    Agbonlahor and Young will continue to develop.
    Walcott will play a much bigger role at Arsenal.
    Owen will rediscover fitness and form under Keegan.
    Darren Bent will finally get first team games, either for Spurs or another team.

The days of Nugent, Heskey and Johnson starting for England should be long over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I agree almost completely with NBM.

IMO the player of the season will be Rooney, and thus the surprise star I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If utilised correctly and played in the centre of midfield then Stephen Ireland will be a star this year. With him, Gelson Fernandes and Michael Johnson all under 22 we have the potential to have a crackin young engine room for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Luka Modric will be a star but I don't a "surprise" star with the big reputation he has.

I think maybe a couple of players who've been around a while, like Xavi said Stephen Ireland but maybe not him ;)

Bendter? Maybe Steve Sidwell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Lassana Diarra. time for him to prove what he can do.

Lassana Diarra. time for him to prove what he can do.

Forget about Diarra, yeah big time. He is the one player I would love Newcastle to sign (obviously excl. your Messi's, Kakas etc.) You got an absolute bargain there by my reckoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I love Lassana, he's one of my favourite players at another EPL club.

This partnership next season will shine:

C_71_article_1024794_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Can't wait to that small man big man partnership at Pompey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ashton and babel...

• Advertisement
Advertisement