Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will be the surprise star in the premiership?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PHB wrote: »
    I agree almost completely with NBM.

IMO the player of the season will be Rooney, and thus the surprise star I guess.

You could be right about rooney but only if cronaldo leaves and he's given a proper role.

Also Corluka, Young again (some people still think Villa were ripped off) and I think Boro might be a surprise team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From what I have seen in preseason, I am no more confident about Rooney learning to finish and play as a forward then I was this time last season.

Rooney just isn't a natural finisher imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Nasri for Arsenal (don't be expecting to see Ramsey)

Botsinwa for Chelsea (expect some excetional breaks from the back)

Nani for United to push on in the second half of the season.

Torres to carry Liverpool to forth or fifth on his own.

Defoe to burn up the goalscoring charts for Pompey.

Luka Modric to flop.

Barry to go to Pool and Young to lead Villa to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Lassana Diarra. time for him to prove what he can do.

aye, but i dont reckon it will be a suprise, if you know what i mean.
    for me his is already excellent, the chap is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote: »
    aye, but i dont reckon it will be a suprise, if you know what i mean.
    for me his is already excellent, the chap is class
    pity he seems to lack class though., Leaves chelsea cause he isn't first choice. leaves arsenal less than 6months later because he isn't first choice basically puts in a transfer request at his first pompey press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SetantaL wrote: »
    Torres to carry Liverpool to forth or fifth on his own.

Wat relevance is that to this thread?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tauren wrote: »
    pity he seems to lack class though., Leaves chelsea cause he isn't first choice. leaves arsenal less than 6months later because he isn't first choice basically puts in a transfer request at his first pompey press conference.

I think his main concern at the time was getting regular football in order to stake a claim for a place in EURO2008, which is somewhat understandable although he's made a right eijit of himself when you look at Arsenal's current squad, could have been playing Champions League football this year... sigh...

but yeah. i expect him to settle down this year and have a very good season, because he does have the makings of an excellent footballer. I kinda hate to say it but i think Domenech (for once) may actually be correct in rating him above Flamini (although the decision to start both Claude and Toulalan ahead of them was still madness imo). he'll be one of the players i'll be keeping an eye on anyway.

Wat relevance is that to this thread?

^ Or that.

Or this.

At least I made a contribution to the debate. You sir, did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think Ashley Cole will have a phenomenal season next year as it looks like Scolari is going to use wing backs and that will give Ashley the freedom to push up which is where he works best, not to mention he was one of the players (along with Ballack) who improved when Mourinho left. Of course Ashley is established so hardly a surprise.

I'm expecting alot out of Borough so I think Wheater will really have a great season as well. Also, one of Cattermole and Noble to break into contention for an England spot.

On a personal note, would love to see Windass make it big this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Tauren wrote: »

I'd say he may have had a few reasons for that thinking.

Euro08 being on the horizon at that time may have made him think that he wasn't going to get to show enough of what he could do at either Chelsea or Arsenal to get there and if you ask me, he made the right choice for himself. Sure look at Sidwell, Bentley & Pennant, leaving Arsenal for them got them into them more playing time (well except for Pennant who's now at Liverpool but he did get a good stint at Birmingham).

As for who could be a surprise star, Liam Lawrence of Stoke who is returning to the premiership after already being there with Sunderland and had a fairly good season last season could be someone worth looking at. Stoke player of the year last year too.

Bellamy and Sears for West Ham although I'm not too sure how much playing time Sears will get with Ashton & Bellamy fit again.

Looking forward to seeing Crouch and Defoe working together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm expecting alot out of Borough so I think Wheater will really have a great season as well. Also, one of Cattermole and Noble to break into contention for an England spot.

the biggest obstacle to this i think is Southgate. i agree the have the potential and should, but i highly doubt it. Southgate doesn't seem to be making huge strides as a manager, particularly when it comes to getting the best out of his players.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd say he may have had a few reasons for that thinking.

Euro08 being on the horizon at that time may have made him think that he wasn't going to get to show enough of what he could do at either Chelsea or Arsenal to get there and if you ask me, he made the right choice for himself. Sure look at Sidwell, Bentley & Pennant, leaving Arsenal for them got them into them more playing time (well except for Pennant who's now at Liverpool but he did get a good stint at Birmingham).
    I can’t imagine the zero minutes he got at Euro 2008 would provide much justification for going to Pompey in January.

The FA cup win could do. Although if he now becomes unable to cement a place in the French starting eleven due to being at Portsmouth (as opposed to Flamini at Milan, Toulalan and Bodmer at Lyon, Nasri and Diaby at Arsenal, Vieira at Inter) by WC2010, I’d say that FA cup will start to look like a poisoned chalice. Although I’m sure he’ll agitate for a move in January or next summer if he isn’t a French starter… he just better hope that he can find a CL club that won’t have competition for places, or he could miss out on the World Cup altogether. He'd look rather stupid then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Diarra won more then he would have at either Chelsea or Arsenal, in fact Pompey won more than both of them put together ;)

Is playing for a team that is quite capable of being a top six side really that bad, maybe not all national team coaches are as blinkered as Steve McLaren.

the biggest obstacle to this i think is Southgate. i agree the have the potential and should, but i highly doubt it. Southgate doesn't seem to be making huge strides as a manager, particularly when it comes to getting the best out of his players.

I actually like Southgate as a manager. He's been given time from his chairman. Has never really gotten them into too much trouble. Did well in the cup last year. Is not afraid to blood his young players and give them a chance and sticks with his players who haven't had too much experience in English football eventually getting the best out of them (e.g. Sanli Tuncay). I think that if one of the two goalkeepers steps up to the plate this year they could be great in both attack and defense. Downing giving crosses to Alves scares me.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I actually like Southgate as a manager. He's been given time from his chairman. Has never really gotten them into too much trouble. Did well in the cup last year. Is not afraid to blood his young players and give them a chance and sticks with his players who haven't had too much experience in English football eventually getting the best out of them (e.g. Sanli Tuncay). I think that if one of the two goalkeepers steps up to the plate this year they could be great in both attack and defense. Downing giving crosses to Alves scares me.

+1

I don't think he will make the Ferguson, Wenger level, but will be a good solid Alan Curbishley type manager.

When i saw Boro at Fratton Park they looked very well organised.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    shocked that no one has mentioned Dos Santos?!(or have i just missed it?)
    do people really not rate him?
    Eze, you'd probably be the man best equipped to give an opinion? is he ****
    At least I made a contribution to the debate. You sir, did not.

You must have missed my contribution.

You having a stupid, ill informed little dig was not a contribution.

Back in your box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Walcott

Walcott

good shout, i think he'll have an excellent season if he can stay fit.

Same for Van Persie, who i think is a ****ing amazing player.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is playing for a team that is quite capable of being a top six side really that bad, maybe not all national team coaches are as blinkered as Steve McLaren.
    You realise the France coach is Raymond Domenech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Mr Alan wrote: »
    good shout, i think he'll have an excellent season if he can stay fit.

Same for Van Persie, who i think is a ****ing amazing player.

It is make or break for Wally this season, if he doesn't perform he will be shipped off to Portsmouth or something.

• Advertisement

Walcott had a great second half to the season as a substitute last year in fairness to him. If anybody stopped him from showing his true ability it was Wenger and his team selection

It is make or break for Wally this season, if he doesn't perform he will be shipped off to Portsmouth or something.

He's a "Scummer", we don't want him :D

i don't think he is going anywhere, wenger seems to have a lot of faith in him and I expect him to have a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Liam Lawrence

You must have missed my contribution.

You having a stupid, ill informed little dig was not a contribution.

Back in your box.

Reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Reported.

:rolleyes:x10

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Wally reminds me of Solskjaer. Deadly at coming off the bench with good energy and because of Walcots pace and eye for goal, putting some fear into other teams. I still think he needs to build himself up more before he becomes the star people expect him to be.

Advertisement