Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architect Project Manager

• 21-07-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting an extension (doesn't require planning permission as will be less than 40m2) to my house in Dublin. I plan to get an architect to do plans but friends say I should also get architect to project manage as well. Sorry to sound ignorant but how much will this cost and what would architect do for the money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Not to be crass about it but why don't you just ring some architects and ask? Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Not to be crass about it but why don't you just ring some architects and ask? Where are you based?

Because I am clueless about this. I want to have some knowledge before I try to discuss it. I don't even know if I need a project manager as I am not fully sure what they do. In terms of pricing, what is standard, a flat fee, a percentage if so what percentage? Is there a set scale of fees. eg per square ft or per amount spent? I simply want to be informed before I contact architects. I have checked RIAI website but it was unhelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Your friends are correct - you should have somebody oversee the works as they progress on site unless you have experience of construction yourself. While the workls may be exempt from Planning Permission, they are not exempt from Building Regulations.
    Whoever you engage to prepare your plans should be the capable of supervising the construction aswell.

'House' magazine have a list of architects who will carry out residential works in the back of some of their issues - you could try that. Check with friends or work colleagues who have had work done and see if they can recommend someone. If that fails, then it will be a question of caling Architects or Architectural Technologists listed in the Golden Pages to see if you can get someone to help you. Fees will vary from practice to practice.

Be sure that whoever you finally engage has Professional Indemnity Insurance, and that they will be in a position to give you any certificates of Compliance / Exemption you may require on completion of the job - the exempted development guidelines are not as straightforward as many people think.

Advertisement