Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is a Xbox 360 better then a PS3??

• 21-07-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Right here we go.

I own a PS3 think for about 2 months (n had a PS2 before that, play PC games too), think its great and still has heaps of potential.

But I have question for any Xbox owners, why do quite alot of people think the Xbox is better, never played the 360 so hav no experience, but I can't really see it being any better then a PS3.

It seems the only apparent better thing is the internet - which you have to pay for; WTF?....

Don't say I'm a fanboy or some sh1t jus want sum opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well the PS3 has potential where as the Xbox has already delivered the games and services they said they would with more on the way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If I had a PS3 like you do, I wouldnt buy a 360.
    I have a 360 and wouldnt buy a PS3.
    There are great games on both, enough to occupy anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

You shouldn't be asking 'Why is the 360 better than the ps3'. that's a matter of opinion. You should be asking 'Why is the 360 a good console'. You say you don't want to be called a fanboy but this is a very fanboy baiting question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3's one. The new L2 and R2 triggers are horrible I find. It's all down to personal preference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

You post is a bit fanboyish OP.Anyways, both have there pros and cons but most my mates are on live so i have more fun on the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

he is asking on xbox forum to get 360 owners opinions on the 360 and were is it better than a ps3, hence the title.

he owns a ps3 and knows what it's pros & cons are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Right here we go.

I own a PS3 think for about 2 months (n had a PS2 before that, play PC games too), think its great and still has heaps of potential.

But I have question for any Xbox owners, why do quite alot of people think the Xbox is better, never played the 360 so hav no experience, but I can't really see it being any better then a PS3.

It seems the only apparent better thing is the internet - which you have to pay for; WTF?....

i have both and i can honestly say there is a better gaming experience on 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i don't have a ps3 so i can't really make a fair comparison but from what people have said in the past the Xbox live service appears to be a better service over the PSN network (even if it costs to play online).

apart from that theres a great games library and some of the features that have been on the 360 from day 1 (namely achievments and in game mp3s) have only started to make their way to the ps3. another bonus is that every console comes with a headset so pretty much everyone can talk online (although some people may not prefer this, matter of opinion really).

moving away from the features of the systems themselves imo you get more value for your money with the 360 (i paid €300 for pro and 4 good games while the ps3 at the same time was about €400 with 1 or 2 average games). but again, this is a matter of opinion as it really comes down to how important it is for the buyer to have a blu ray player, if this is a major factor then the ps3 is obviously the system to choose but it didn't really factor in for me (i got a €10 hd dvd player and some €5 hd-dvds to hold me over till bluray players/films become more affordable).
    having said all that i'm sure whichever console you have your gonna be happy as theres plenty of games on both to keep you occupied.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Having not tried the 360, how can you say that the PS3 is better? Why is the PS3 better then the 360? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

collie1 wrote: »
    i have both and i can honestly say there is a better gaming experience on 360.

I have both and I agree with you wholeheartily.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

For me it's about getting things first and the having access to the exclusive games.

- Bioshock was one of my favourite games of last year - it's due out on PS3 but it's starting to feel slightly dated.

- The COD4 map pack came out on 360 before PS3 - unfair to PS3 owners I thought.

- Rock Band - if I was a PS3 owner I would be very p*ssed off that it still hasn't been released here. Rock Band 2 is due out stateside before xmas.

- Halo 3 and the Gears of War games (not everyones cup of tea though). However I've never played any Metal Gear games before and it looks like a great PS3 exclusive.

- GTA4 (my personal favourite game of all time) future downloadable content.

- Haze, the hyped PS3 exclusive was a let-down.

- PS3 is only getting trophies now (achievements on the 360) and the in-game XMB doesn't have the same number of features as the X360 dashboard (playing music when gaming not compatible in all games).

I'm tempted to buy a PS3 for the multimedia functionality - bluray, interaction with the PSP etc. And if Home and Little Big Planet live up to the hype then I'll definitely buy one.

My advice - buy the console that most your friends have so you can play online together. Or save up and buy both - then you can't argue that you're missing out on anything.
    They both have their own great features.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

monomaniac wrote: »
    My advice - buy the console that most your friends have ....

That was the advice I got when trying to choose between an Amiga and an Atari ST years and years ago. It's still good now. For most games you're going to enjoy them just as much on a 360 as on a PS3 or vice versa. If you get the same one as your mates you can swap or share your experiences. I've one mate with a PS3 and 3 with 360s. The guy with the PS3 is getting a 360 as he's a bit excluded when we're talking about our games or playing online. It would have been exactly the same if the 3 of us had PS3s and he had a 360. He'd be buying a PS3 now I'd imagine.

The games are spectacular on both. One console might have some games with a slightly faster frame rate or with slightly sharper colours. That makes no difference to 90% of people if it's an enjoyable game. Give me a good game with crappy graphics over a crappy game with good graphics anyday.

You will find plenty of games on both formats that will keep you busy for months / years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Right here we go.

I'm a recent 360 owner, about 6 months. I had some cash to spend on a console to compliment my Wii (or to have the Wii compliment it, whichever!!). So I had the choice of a PS3 or 360. I chose the 360 for a number of reasons, but above all was the controller. I can't believe Sony got so lazy as to throw out the same controller for a 3rd generation of console. It was crap from day one and still is. Their concept one at least looked more comfortable, don't know why they chickened out of it.
    Other reasons were that for €389 I got an Elite with 120Gb hd, 4 games (of which 2 were ones I wanted anyway), a catalog of better driving games (I was disappointed with the last Gran Tourismo's, and Prologue didn't change my mind either), and better chance of getting good value games, like CMR Dirt for €30. (PS3 too new to have cheap games!).
    I agree with you in that paying for the on-line is crap, that annoys me. Also, hardware wise, the PS3 is better, quieter and more reliable. (although having said that I know only 2 PS3 owners, and both had their consoles replaced).
    They're my reasons, but either way, you have a good console as said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Xbox makes way more noise so is therefor better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I have both, and I prefer the PS3 tbh. There are no particular reasons, I just like the UI of the PS3, free mutliplayer. Both consoles have great exclusives, but Sony just have more first party exclusives.

In saying that, I hate Halo, I hate MS for charging to play online (and was recently pissed off to see I couldn't download the Too Human demo cause I didnt have a gold membership).

So you could say I'm slightly biased. :D If you can, get both, otherwise you are missing out on a great gaming experience, regardless of which console you have, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Benzino wrote: »
    In saying that, I hate Halo, I hate MS for charging to play online (and was recently pissed off to see I couldn't download the Too Human demo cause I didnt have a gold membership)

If you have a silver membership you'll be able to download the demo soon, just have to wait one or two weeks. New free content on the marketplace is only available to gold members immediatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Varik wrote: »
    he is asking on xbox forum to get 360 owners opinions on the 360 and were is it better than a ps3, hence the title.

he owns a ps3 and knows what it's pros & cons are

Thanks - at least someone can actually read.
    Biro wrote: »
    I'm a recent 360 owner, about 6 months. I had some cash to spend on a console to compliment my Wii (or to have the Wii compliment it, whichever!!). So I had the choice of a PS3 or 360. I chose the 360 for a number of reasons, but above all was the controller. I can't believe Sony got so lazy as to throw out the same controller for a 3rd generation of console. It was crap from day one and still is. Their concept one at least looked more comfortable, don't know why they chickened out of it.
    Other reasons were that for €389 I got an Elite with 120Gb hd, 4 games (of which 2 were ones I wanted anyway), a catalog of better driving games (I was disappointed with the last Gran Tourismo's, and Prologue didn't change my mind either), and better chance of getting good value games, like CMR Dirt for €30. (PS3 too new to have cheap games!).
    I agree with you in that paying for the on-line is crap, that annoys me. Also, hardware wise, the PS3 is better, quieter and more reliable. (although having said that I know only 2 PS3 owners, and both had their consoles replaced).
    They're my reasons, but either way, you have a good console as said above.

What I think though is that, as someone said, the Xbox has reached its potential, the PS3 as yet has not (OK sony are doing this very slowly). The PS3 seems to be fairly competitive with the Xbox as it is (probably still not as good).

What I'm wondering is in 9 months or whatever (could be longer, prob will be) will the Xbox have anything more to bring to the table? (maybe prob exclusive games, but these usually don't interest me)

I'm not saying the Xbox is gay and crap, just thought the PS3 suited me better.
    Didn't like the Xbox controller (others dont like the PS3's one) and I certainly didn't wanna pay for onliine gaming; something I've been doing for free on a PC.

Can I ask why you think the playing experience is better?
    I'm not planning on buying a Xbox, I'm just interested in what yous think.

Cheers for the posts!

***Warning***:
    I am not saying the PS3 is better. I may own one but I am not saying either is better, I only want to know what Xbox owners think are the pros of the Xbox. I not imparting mine or anybody's opinion - if it reads like I did, its cos I'm too lazy to re-read my posts.
    If you think I'm being 'fanboyish' don't bother your a*s posting so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

i have both of these and i find them both great
    My box has become my main gaming console i have to admit but only because i was loved the old xbox and all my friends have xbox . the online cant be beaten and i dont find 60 euro a year that bad for the online. When it comes to FPS the xbox controller is the best way to go. Also the xbox is worth getting just for crackdown i love that game.

The playstation is great in other ways. the bluray is a great add on the media severs to listen to music and watching videos is from your pc is a amazing ( i just cant use the media player on the xbox).
    Metal gear solid 4,uncharted and heavenly sword are some of the best games i have ever played. i have a 60gb and can play all my old ps2 and ps1 games (all the metal gear solid games and final fantasy 7)

The two consoles are great but gaming wise the xbox is just a little ahead at the minute but thats just my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

What I think though is that, as someone said, the Xbox has reached its potential, the PS3 as yet has not (OK sony are doing this very slowly). The PS3 seems to be fairly competitive with the Xbox as it is (probably still not as good).

What I'm wondering is in 9 months or whatever (could be longer, prob will be) will the Xbox have anything more to bring to the table? (maybe prob exclusive games, but these usually don't interest me)

That's the funny though, what else can either bring? The PS3 has the processor as it's potential, not in speed, but in architectural design. It may have small room for improvement in graphics terms, but the real room for improvement is in the AI. But that calls for developers to develop a game for it to utilise it to the max. That costs a lot of money. Games like that will come, but they'll be few and far between, cause the best return is in the games like GTA4, developed for both consoles, massive sales = massive return.
    All I can see happening is in 3 years time the best game available will be on the PS3 (from an AI point of view, graphically it'll be similar to the best today, with maybe more active background), but all 3 companies will be working hard on the follow on generation consoles.

The PS3 still has potential with home and other software services in the pipeline as well as some exclusive games.

I'm not talking about graphics. I don't believe graphics will get much better than they already are this generation partly due to development time constraints as well as the hardware.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote: »
    The PS3 still has potential with home and other software services in the pipeline as well as some exclusive games.

You could say nearly exactly the same about the 360.
    Plenty of exclusives, downloadable HD movies, installing games to HDD, Xbox Live Primetime.

I agree about graphics though. If you're making the same game for the 360 and PS3 there's going to be shag all difference in the graphics. There is a bit but none that makes a huge difference to the games.

You could say nearly exactly the same about the 360.
    Plenty of exclusives, downloadable HD movies, installing games to HDD, Xbox Live Primetime.

I agree about graphics though. If you're making the same game for the 360 and PS3 there's going to be shag all difference in the graphics. There is a bit but none that makes a huge difference to the games.

Yeah but the 360 has delivered exclusives, HD movies, installing from HDD isn't a big deal and Xbox Live exists and is mature and is now just expanding to other services.

PS3 has yet to deliver on their pre-launch promises really. I mean its a games console and it plays games and movies via Bluray and ther interface is there with a few of the features they were claiming they would have but we haven't seen home yet or a real Gran Turismo game. So Sony has much to deliver yet where as the 360 has delivered on its big promises like Halo 3 is out and the market place allows you to buy movies and buy/play old Xbox games.

brim4brim wrote: »
    PS3 has yet to deliver on their pre-launch promises really. I mean its a games console and it plays games and movies via Bluray and ther interface is there with a few of the features they were claiming they would have but we haven't seen home yet or a real Gran Turismo game. So Sony has much to deliver yet where as the 360 has delivered on its big promises like Halo 3 is out and the market place allows you to buy movies and buy/play old Xbox games.

I'm confused now. Is that an argument for buying a PS3? That they haven't delivered their promises.

Xbox Live is mature and there's pile more stuff coming out in Autumn for it.
    It has delivered exclusives (so has the PS3) and there are plenty more coming out before Christmas (have a look at the October is going to be huge thread).
    There's also Xbox Live Arcade where you can buy loads of games cheaply that aren't available on other formats. A lot of it is rubbish but there are lots of gems there.

But it all boils down to the games. If you can find 10 or so games that you like on either format (and there are way more than that) then you'll be kept happy.

I agree that HD downloads or BluRay is not important at all for a games console. I bought my console for games. I don't care about movies on it.

I'm confused now. Is that an argument for buying a PS3? That they haven't delivered their promises.

Xbox Live is mature and there's pile more stuff coming out in Autumn for it.
    It has delivered exclusives (so has the PS3) and there are plenty more coming out before Christmas (have a look at the October is going to be huge thread).
    There's also Xbox Live Arcade where you can buy loads of games cheaply that aren't available on other formats. A lot of it is rubbish but there are lots of gems there.

But it all boils down to the games. If you can find 10 or so games that you like on either format (and there are way more than that) then you'll be kept happy.

I agree that HD downloads or BluRay is not important at all for a games console. I bought my console for games. I don't care about movies on it.

Its not really an argument either way. Its a statement about where both consoles are right now IMO. Its up to each person to determine if they want to buy into the potential the PS3 has or buy into what the 360 already has to offer.

I have a 360 because I wanted the games and services it had at the time. I wouldn't personally buy a PS3 because I don't see the point in buying potential because potential isn't necessarily great. Potential can end up delivering a boring or incredible experience so I'm not going to buy into potential becuase I'm not sure if Sony can deliver.

If you like what Sony are saying and you believe they can deliver on it then it is a perfectly good purchase. At the moment, it is great hardware with a poor-average line up of games with a few exceptions IMO and I'm not really interested in it. The additional services such as Home have yet to appear (more potential).

The 360 will deliver new services etc... but none of them were things they promised early to sell the console to people. The PS3 has being going on about a lot of the stuff that they have yet to release since launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I, like some others spoil myself enough to have the 2 consoles. I bought the 360 on release date and got the ps3 about 4 months ago. the main reasons I bought the ps3 was Gran T., F1 and the blu-ray player. my dislikes of the consoles are
    XBOX,
    1. xbox live gold costs €60 a year.

PS3,
    1. PS3 online is not very user friendly compared to 360
    2. the controller is very poorly designed (thumbstick too centralised and triggers are slippy (you can now "buy" mods!!!))
    3. game choice is limited

all things considered €60 is not very costly for an excellent online gaming service. now I just use my PS3 to play dvd's and blu-rays:o
    p.s. I am a little biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I haven't bought into either yet but from what i can see, the PS3 has waaay more potential than the 360, only time will tell if Sony can get their act together

ShaunC wrote: »
    all things considered €60 is not very costly for an excellent online gaming service.

How about €35.30
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/XBOX-360-LIVE-SUBSCRIPTION-12-MONTHS-1-MONTH-BONUS_W0QQitemZ220260828623QQihZ012QQcategoryZ112846QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There was a thread here a couple of months ago. Loads of people (including me) get their subscription from eBay. It works out about €2.95 a month. Is it worth that? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't know where this 'the PS3 has more potential' argument comes from. It's alright saying that but there's never anything to back it up. The 360 as I see it has just the same 'potential'. Does my PS3 have the potential to become sentient and take over the world perhaps?

How about €35.30
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/XBOX-360-LIVE-SUBSCRIPTION-12-MONTHS-1-MONTH-BONUS_W0QQitemZ220260828623QQihZ012QQcategoryZ112846QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There was a thread here a couple of months ago. Loads of people (including me) get their subscription from eBay. It works out about €2.95 a month. Is it worth that? :)

Yeah ok just going by standard practice. by the way I paid €10 for my sub. a shop i was in was selling aged stock for €10 i got 2, I had not the heart to tell them xbox gold does not age;)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't know where this 'the PS3 has more potential' argument comes from. It's alright saying that but there's never anything to back it up. The 360 as I see it has just the same 'potential'. Does my PS3 have the potential to become sentient and take over the world perhaps?

It HAS more potential, mine got a job playing dvd's last week and is applying for a job in lidl next week it will go far.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement