Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is a Xbox 360 better then a PS3??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i have both consoles. used to only play the 360 all the time. i love it online, yeah you have to pay but in my opinion you pay for what you get. the 360 has much better online qualitys like private chats (in games) and better games (gears of war, halo3....).

but have started to give the ps3 a go lately and im really getting into it. warhawk is deadly online, love it........

in the end id say the 360 is better, but not for an exact reason, its just my opinion. theres no one fact that makes it better or worse it all depends on the individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

You shouldn't be asking 'Why is the 360 better than the ps3'. that's a matter of opinion. You should be asking 'Why is the 360 a good console'. You say you don't want to be called a fanboy but this is a very fanboy baiting question.

Lets not play a word game here, he's obviously looking for plus points for the 360, phrase it how you want.

Also just a side, whoever invented the word "fanboy" or "fanboi" should be taken out and shot. I mean, ffs, if you say...this game is good, or this console is good, some tool turns around and calls you a fanboy. Its easily one of the most over used terms that somebody hears once and then says it at every opportunity because they think it sounds good....I'm sick of fanboys of the word fanboy damnit!!!!!!!

Back on topic..........Personally, i prefer the 360 because others that I'd play games with regularly were getting/had one.

Larger library of games.

Much cheaper comparatively to the PS3, I mean I could have waited ages for the PS3 to come out, and then pay twice as much for one as I would have for a 360, or buy a 360. No brainer IMO.

If you ever see screenshots of a 360 game vs PS3 game on the same screen, it always seems to me that the 360 looks slightly "sharper" graphics wise, which I prefer.

It just seems all round the dominant and most popular console, with the people I know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Lets not play a word game here, he's obviously looking for plus points for the 360, phrase it how you want.

Also just a side, whoever invented the word "fanboy" or "fanboi" should be taken out and shot. I mean, ffs, if you say...this game is good, or this console is good, some tool turns around and calls you a fanboy. Its easily one of the most over used terms that somebody hears once and then says it at every opportunity because they think it sounds good....I'm sick of fanboys of the word fanboy damnit!!!!!!!

Back on topic..........Personally, i prefer the 360 because others that I'd play games with regularly were getting/had one.

Larger library of games.

Much cheaper comparatively to the PS3, I mean I could have waited ages for the PS3 to come out, and then pay twice as much for one as I would have for a 360, or buy a 360. No brainer IMO.

If you ever see screenshots of a 360 game vs PS3 game on the same screen, it always seems to me that the 360 looks slightly "sharper" graphics wise, which I prefer.

It just seems all round the dominant and most popular console, with the people I know anyway.

FANBOY

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

The Xbox is the "best" console for you if it has more of the games that you like than the other 2 consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I dont know how people can complain about the charge for Xbox Live. For me its less than the cost of cigarettes for a week or less than a third the cost of a good night out. I am more than happy to pay for Live as opposed to having to put up with a crap PS online service.

As for potential, I am gaming now. Not in 2, 5 or 8 years. Now. I want to play the best games now and want to play online with friends on thiose games now. The PS3 has the hardware to make potentially the better console but the fact remains that the best and most popular games are on the 360 and that is not going to change in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i agree that €60 a year for live is fairly steep (you could buy a whole new game for that) but as an above poster pointed out its just silly to pay that price for a sub when all you need to do is a quick search on ebay to uncover half price 13 month subs. I got a 13 month sub the other day for €31.99 in total and the code was emailed to me instantly. and thats not that a bad deal at all really for a great service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

If the PS3 had the Xbox's software library, Irish following and online experience, it would be the definitive console. It doesn't unfortunately so we have the Xbox - sh1te hardware, great software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Xbox has ****e hardware but great software and firmware.

PS3 has great hardware with good software and mediocre firmware.

360 pad > PS3 pas
    PSN Games > XBLA Games
    FPS 360 > FPS PS3
    Gears > Resistance
    Numerous friends on XBL > 1 measly PS3 Friend.

Thats the way I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The PS3 is a great piece of equipment. The main reasons I'm not getting one is because...

1. The 360 came out first so I got that. There are no killer games that I want on the PS3 that aren't available on the 360. The only one would have been FF13, and that's coming to the 360 now. And yes, I know about MGS4, but I've not enjoyed one of those since the PSX release

2. The controller. It's been upgraded once already, and looks like a second upgrade in on the way. The fact that it's been the same design, and not a particularly comfortable one, for 10+ years says it all. The 360 controller is the most comfortable controller I've ever used.

3. Online. While I don't use it that much, the PSN doesn't come close to Xbox Live.

Chances are I will end up getting one, but purely as a Blu Ray player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I love all this the PS3 has more potential crap.
    Matt Le Tissier had great potential, but how many trophies did he win?!!

The PS3 is very limited in a lot of ways.
    Yes the Cell is great, but the console has what, a 1mb L2 cache!

And all that doesn't matter if MS's master plan evolves as they're planning.
    They made the xbox as designer friendly as possible.
    Sony, on the other hand, made designing games on the PS3 like hammering a square peg through a round hole, with a dead fish!!!

The reason that most dual console games look better on the 360, is that They're designed on the 360.
    The PS3 games are ports.
    If this holds sway, as I believe it will for the next few years, games will never look better on the PS3, with the exception of the few and far between exclusives.

Both consoles are great.
    Buy whatever you prefer, but don't start saying the Ps3 is better cause it has potential.
    I seriously doubt that Sony have the clout to realise that potential sufficiently befoe the next, next, gen consoles are announced.

Don't forget MS have never said what kinda lifetime the 360 will have, and with over a year headstart on the PS3, the 360 is almost 3 years into it's lifecycle.
    There was only 4 years between the launch of the Xbox and the 360.

I'd expect to 720 (or whatever) to be announced and dated within three years, and if the PS3 is only reaching it's potential then.....

Edit: Just realised how fanboish that came out!
    Just to clear up, I have and use both consoles.
    I just think that there really is no difference consolewise.
    THe PS3 is undoubtadly more powerfull, but the Xbox is more user friendly.
    Also, Sony really have been shi*ing on Europe for years, so it is fun to see them in trouble.

I'd be perfectly happy with a world of three succesfull and diverse consoles, cause that way they would all work that much harder, making things better for us.

Also, Sony really have been shi*ing on Europe for years, so it is fun to see them in trouble.

Sony are actually not in trouble in Europe, apart from the UK & Ireland the PS3 is destroying the 360 in sales since the new year. Microsoft seems to have mostly all the English speaking countries in the world nailed down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Sony are actually not in trouble in Europe, apart from the UK & Ireland the PS3 is destroying the 360 in sales since the new year. Microsoft seems to have mostly all the English speaking countries in the world nailed down.

I dont think that's on the ball matey, sher by that token the wii willy winky would be your only man.
    Or that handheldy thingy that makes you cook stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Benzino wrote: »
    FANBOY

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

lol, you're forgiven. I was just wondering who would be the first one to do it. :rolleyes:

I dont think that's on the ball matey, sher by that token the wii willy winky would be your only man.
    Or that handheldy thingy that makes you cook stuff.

But I am on the ball. Im didnt mention the wii here because everybody knows the wii is the market leader everywhere. Im talking about the battle for second place.

As for the DS thats a handheld console and compares more to the PSP rather than the other three.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

i had a 360 since xmas 06 but since i got my PS3 late last year the 360 has been gathering dust. I'm surprised that I only got round to selling it now. I prefer the DualShock3/SixAxis compared to the 360's controller. I don't like the big battery pack jutting out of the back and the d-pad is a piece of sh*t. Plus when playing Pro Evo, nothing beats the DualShock/Sixaxis.

We all know the 360 has a greater libary of games but seeing as it had a year head start what would you expect. You can't say that there are no games out for the PS3 as there is a large amount in the libary. Plus the PSN games are superior to the XBLA games. I'd rather pay for new,unique titles on the PSN that some rehashed old games(Bomberman,Pac-Man)

Plus I think there will be alot more quality exclusives from the first party studios (Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Team Ico etc.). Oh yea another thing the majority of 360 exclusives appear on PC so i'm sorted there.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

Good post. Indeed if you are in to sports games, the PS is probably a better choice, especially if you already have a gaming PC.

The D-pad is ****e but you can buy alternative Xbox controllers with a better layout. Personally, I prefer the Xbox line of games and it's joypad but then I prefer FPS games to Pro Evo etc. And it's controller is more geared for those games too.

Out out interest is Rez on the PSN store? It's the best Arcade game I've bought.

It all depends in what you prefer. I'm a big God Of War nut and love sports games so the PS3 has that pinned down for me. Plus I watch alot of movies aswell(I know I have loads of free time!) and watching a dvd on the 360 is annoying to say the least with that noisy fan. tbh though I don't mind playing FPS on the PS3. In fact I actually prefer the controller to the 360. Also fighting games too are better on the PS3 with the DS3's d-pad i think but at the end of the day its what you prefer

That was a good post, I prefer to use the Dpad when playing PES and Fifa so the PS3 is a natual choice for that. When it comes to FPS tho, the Dualshock has terrible analogs and horrible triggers. Also I think that driving games suit the 360 pad better, with the two triggers working great for the accelerator and brake.

Your correct with the PSN part. Been able to download full games like GT5 Prologue, Siren, Tekken, Warhawk is miles better than what XBLA has to offer.

I found the PS controller too light for FPS games, and the triggers on it were all wrong. Still if you can try both all the better.

The PS is a bettem for watching movies but I use my Xbox to stream clips from my computer and it does the job very well.

Really it comes down to what games you prefer. With consoles it's more about the software than the hardware. Have a look at the line-up and release schedule of both consoles and make your choice

I bought my PS3 because it had better hardware and Blu-ray. Then I saw a load of games coming out on the XBox that I wanted to play e.g Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Command and Conquer 3. So I ended up trading the Sony console for an Xbox and one year on I am very happy with it.

The only things I miss from the PS3 are the Blu-ray and the reliability; my Xbox recently fell foul to RROD problem **shakes fist at Mircrosoft for doing it on the cheap**

yeah I do admit the SixAxis was light but the DualShock 3 has solved that problem. Also as regards to the triggers, i found that these help the problem:http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html

I think myself that racing games are better using the PS3 controller as i tend to use the d-pad and I said before the 360 d-pad is utter sh*te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

rizzla wrote: »
    I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3's one. The new L2 and R2 triggers are horrible I find. It's all down to personal preference though.

Ditto. I find the analogue controls on the PS controller to be really awkward compared to the 360. Also, having recently gotten a PS3, one of the first things that struck me is HOW FυCKING LONG it takes to install a game.

• Advertisement

CapRooney wrote: »
    yeah I do admit the SixAxis was light but the DualShock 3 has solved that problem. Also as regards to the triggers, i found that these help the problem:http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html

I think myself that racing games are better using the PS3 controller as i tend to use the d-pad and I said before the 360 d-pad is utter sh*te!

Buy see thats the problem, you shouldnt have to buy add on triggers for an official console joypad. The 360 dpad is ****e but it only plays a minor role in most FPS and RPGs that I mostly play. Also just come out and say that the Sixaxis was ****e like the 360 DPad is. IMO Sony should scrap that Motion Senser crap in games. Uncharted for example I think I had to use it twice during the whole game? The Siren demo, having to shake it like a pleb to stop from being killed. Stupid design.

eh not really bothered by the install time. I mean the 22 minutes or so for DMC4 i did not mind it because I though to myself if I waited this long to play it, what's another odd 22 minutes?

If you don't like the PS3 controller that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Some people don't like the PS3 and some people don't like the 360. Also I have 2 SixAxis at home and there not utter sh*te. The DS3 is obviously better but its not like your comparing the original Xbox controller to the revamped Controller S one now are you?

But the DS3 is just a Sixaxis with a rumble. So in your opinion what does the 360 do better than the PS3 caprooney?

Breaking down:D:D:D No I just decided to post because there was hardly any posts coming from the PlayStation camp and though I would just give my opinion . That is all

The original title is Why is the 360 better than the PS3? Whats the pros and cons of it compared to the PS3. He did post on a Xbox forum so maybe thats why maybe there hasnt been many PS3 responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I have both.

PS3 - used for BluRay and DVD's some times.

360 - 98% of my gaming, on-line and off-line, streaming video from PC.

So I use my 360 a lot more than my PS3, there are alsom many little things that the 360 does better than the PS3, which to be honest has only really disappointed me since it's launch.

I never knew the PS2 could play blu-rays?

Did you not????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

It can't, only PS3.
    But then you knew that, as did everybody else. Yet you couldnt resist pointing it out and tiring us all with more words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement