Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is a Xbox 360 better then a PS3??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

It can't, only PS3.
    But then you knew that, as did everybody else. Yet you couldnt resist pointing it out and tiring us all with more words.

I know, 9 posts in and hes already annoying people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

CapRooney wrote: »
    eh not really bothered by the install time. I mean the 22 minutes or so for DMC4 i did not mind it because I though to myself if I waited this long to play it, what's another odd 22 minutes?
    There's been games that have taken me a lot longer than that. I'm not in the habit of renting out games, but if I was then I'm sure it would really piss me off.

I'm suprised to see some people not happy with the xbox dpad. I've always found it way easier to use than PS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The xbox d-pad may be awful but the PS d-pad is just as awful, People are just used to it is all, compare it to a snes or megadrive d-pad and it's a sham. Using 4 buttons instead of a full face d-pad is a joke and it should have been sorted after the first sham of a joypad.

The 360 pad has great analogue sticks and triggers the PS pad has no redeeming features. It can burn in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I know, 9 posts in and hes already annoying people.

Well I am sorry for expressing my opinion. I just think the PS3 is better than the 360 that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The xbox d-pad may be awful but the PS d-pad is just as awful, People are just used to it is all, compare it to a snes or megadrive d-pad and it's a sham. Using 4 buttons instead of a full face d-pad is a joke and it should have been sorted after the first sham of a joypad.

The 360 pad has great analogue sticks and triggers the PS pad has no redeeming features. It can burn in hell!

Yes indeed, the PlayStation controllers have always been crap, from the tacked on analogue stick of the Dualshock1 to the awful shoulder buttons of the ps2 and as you said, the triggers of the ps3. When they tried to radically redesign it they got it so spectacularly wrong (boomerang!) that they just went back to same old same old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

360 is too noisy but thats the only problem it has. the controller is better for driving games and as far as i can see theres little or no difference in the online play, not 60 quid a year difference anyway.then theres the charging kits for the controllers you have to buy for 15-20 euro each is a bit much when the ps3 can come with a simple usb cable for charging.

ps3 seems better thought out and less of a toy. you cant hear it when its on and the fact that it plays blu-ray and since the last update can play music over games its worth the extra money. the graphics are the same for the likes of cod4 and pes so its rubbish to say one is better than the other for that.

both have brilliant games though so the easiest thing to do is buy one of each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes indeed, the PlayStation controllers have always been crap, from the tacked on analogue stick of the Dualshock1 to the awful shoulder buttons of the ps2 and as you said, the triggers of the ps3. When they tried to radically redesign it they got it so spectacularly wrong (boomerang!) that they just went back to same old same old.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me that is bull****. The sheer numbers of playstations, playstation 2s sold justify Sony not really changing the fundamental design of the controller. It is the best game controller that I have used for a system, the 360's triggers defo came in handy for Halo but hey, try that controller with pro evo.

There is a perfectly good reason, IMO, Sony kept the Dual Shock design for 3 consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

noodler wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me that is bull****. The sheer numbers of playstations, playstation 2s sold justify Sony not really changing the fundamental design of the controller. It is the best game controller that I have used for a system, the 360's triggers defo came in handy for Halo but hey, try that controller with pro evo.

There is a perfectly good reason, IMO, Sony kept the Dual Shock design for 3 consoles.

Sheer numbers sold is no way to say its a good controller. The GameCube controller was far superior to the the DualShock, but the Cube sold feck all

I use the 360 pad to play pro evo and Fifa and I think its fantastic.

I love the way you say everyone is entitled to an opinion, and ten you go and call it bul****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

+1
    360 is too noisy but thats the only problem it has. the controller is better for driving games and as far as i can see theres little or no difference in the online play, not 60 quid a year difference anyway.then theres the charging kits for the controllers you have to buy for 15-20 euro each is a bit much when the ps3 can come with a simple usb cable for charging.

ps3 seems better thought out and less of a toy. you cant hear it when its on and the fact that it plays blu-ray and since the last update can play music over games its worth the extra money. the graphics are the same for the likes of cod4 and pes so its rubbish to say one is better than the other for that.

both have brilliant games though so the easiest thing to do is buy one of each.

Just a couple of hours ago I had to turn up my surround sound 'cos my PS3 was making too much noise during BluRay playback, there is feck all of a differance between a 360 and a PS3 at full tilt.

At least you can still play the 306 with the controllers while charging the battery packs, I'd have to sit on the floor infront of the PS3 to do the same with their stupidly short cable.

Also there is a great world of differance between 360 on-line and PS3 on-line experance, and if you reckon there is none you are not gettin the full ue out of either setup.

Well there is no way to properly incorporate the missing R2 button on a 360 pad for pro evo. I don't care if you allocate it to a different button, it just doesn't work, if youve only ever played PES with a 360 controller then you may not know any better.

Again I have to disagree, I just wasn't a fan of the Cube controller and that stick. Sheer numbers sold was only one aspect of my argument. It does tend to show people were not unhappy with the playstation one design tho.

Me saying thats bull**** is just my opinion, don't let it upset you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 360 controller has as many buttons as the PS3 controller, can't see were the missing R2 button comes from since it has 2 shoulder buttons as well.

The PS controller is forced upon people because it's the pack in controller. I still use it despite hating it with all my heart since 1995.

R1=Sprint R2=Trick/slow sprint button

The right trigger on the 360 is the sprint button (which is bad enough) but there is no proper substitute for r2.

With the greatest of respect I think the majority of people would disagree with you. But, fairness, the board is more likely to be the niche than the mainstream.

If its not FPS then I always prefer the ps controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I really don't know where this 'the PS3 has more potential' argument comes from. It's alright saying that but there's never anything to back it up. The 360 as I see it has just the same 'potential'
    bucks73 wrote: »
    As for potential, I am gaming now. Not in 2, 5 or 8 years. Now. I want to play the best games now and want to play online with friends on thiose games now.

+1 or (is it two?)

I bought a 60GB PS3 and sold it after a while as it was just collecting dust, and for the cash I got for it, I can afford to buy another PS3 when it fullfills
    it's potential.
    Right now unless you want to play MGS4, it hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The installation time arguement is a redundant now. Xbox users will be able to install their own games, when dasboard updates in Autumn. As for people who dislike the controllers, why not buy a third party solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Sheer numbers sold is no way to say its a good controller. The GameCube controller was far superior to the the DualShock, but the Cube sold feck all
    Agreed The Gamecube controller was brilliant. there was just something satisfying about hitting the A button. You don't get that with a PS3 or a 360 controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Regardless of wether the consoles are too loud, or online service sucks, or controller sucks, what it all boils down to is GAMES. And for exclusives, the 360 is head and shoulders above the ps3:

Gears of war
    Dead rising
    Halo 3
    Mass effect
    Crackdown
    PGR 4

not to mention the arcade games, Castlevania SOTN, Rez, etc etc.

Whereas on the PS3 ive literally bought 2 great exlusives, MGS4 & Uncharted. And thats it.

silvine wrote: »
    As for people who dislike the controllers, why not buy a third party solution?

Two reasons, third party controllers suck and you shouldn't have to buy another controller when the console comes with one.
    0ubliette wrote:
    Regardless of wether the consoles are too loud, or online service sucks, or controller sucks, what it all boils down to is GAMES. And for exclusives, the 360 is head and shoulders above the ps3:

Gears of war
    Dead rising
    Halo 3
    Mass effect
    Crackdown
    PGR 4

not to mention the arcade games, Castlevania SOTN, Rez, etc etc.

Whereas on the PS3 ive literally bought 2 great exlusives, MGS4 & Uncharted. And thats it.

Maybe so but the PS3 has much more 'potential'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Two reasons, third party controllers suck and you shouldn't have to buy another controller when the console comes with one.

What potential? Upcoming game releases for the next few months heavily favour the 360, excluding games on both consoles.

PS3 - Ummm, nothing.

360 - Too Human ; Fable 2 ; Gears of War 2 ; Banjo Kazooie ;

There's a load of good games coming for both consoles - Soul Calibur 2, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Brothers in Arms: HH, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 5 - but the most 'exclusive' game coming for the PS3 in the next few months is Bioshock. A game that's been on the 360 so long, I've seen it retailing NEW for 14.99.

Games releases taken from www.gamefaqs.com, and are based on European releases for both consoles.

I was being sarcastic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

well no offence but id rather have games than potential. As it stands, the ps3 just isnt delivering the games for me. And even the multi platform games are generally better optimised on 360, and have acheivements, not some half assed, half implemented trophies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Getting sick of these conversations lads.

Simple truth of the subject. Doesn't matter which you regard is better, everyone has their own taste, and they can choose accordingly.

What IS important is that there is currently 3 console manufacturers currently competing against each other, which is keeping the price of games down and forcing each individual company to a) keep knocking down the price of the consoles and b) coming up with more inventive services on these machines to keep current users and entice potential future users.

Could you imagine what would happen if one of these companies crushed the other 2 out of the market? Its monopoly time, and just watch the price of everything go up. Sheer economics guys. Enough of the putting down other consoles, just be glad they're around to keep the market in check.

chrislad wrote: »
    What potential? Upcoming game releases for the next few months heavily favour the 360, excluding games on both consoles.

PS3 - Ummm, nothing.

360 - Too Human ; Fable 2 ; Gears of War 2 ; Banjo Kazooie ;

There's a load of good games coming for both consoles - Soul Calibur 2, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Brothers in Arms: HH, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 5 - but the most 'exclusive' game coming for the PS3 in the next few months is Bioshock. A game that's been on the 360 so long, I've seen it retailing NEW for 14.99.

Games releases taken from www.gamefaqs.com, and are based on European releases for both consoles.

Ah here mate your been a bit one sided here. Im pro 360 as you can see from other posts in the thread but the PS3 is getting Resistance 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Little Big Planet as exclusives this christmas. Bioshock is not exclusive at all only has exclusive mini games. And only 2 (maybe 3 if Rare actually make a good 360 game this gen) are worth talking about. Too Human is piss poor IMO from the demo I played.

On the plus side the 360 gets extra portal missions and Gears and Fable 2 will be amazing.

So to sum up, upcoming games slightly favour (not heavily) favour the 360 this Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Getting sick of these conversations lads.

Simple truth of the subject. Doesn't matter which you regard is better, everyone has their own taste, and they can choose accordingly.

What IS important is that there is currently 3 console manufacturers currently competing against each other, which is keeping the price of games down and forcing each individual company to a) keep knocking down the price of the consoles and b) coming up with more inventive services on these machines to keep current users and entice potential future users.

Could you imagine what would happen if one of these companies crushed the other 2 out of the market? Its monopoly time, and just watch the price of everything go up. Sheer economics guys. Enough of the putting down other consoles, just be glad they're around to keep the market in check.

Thanks for the business lesson..... you're right but a bit obvious to point out.

Whether its keeping down the price of games I'm not so sure...

I'm still happy with my PS3, anything yous have said hasn't really persuaded me otherwise - its my taste alone.

The PS3 gave me everything I wanted personally in a console. All the exclusives you talk about I'm not really interested in.

I am not saying either are better then or knocking, just wanted to know what Xbox users thought of the 360.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Ah here mate your been a bit one sided here. Im pro 360 as you can see from other posts in the thread but the PS3 is getting Resistance 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Little Big Planet as exclusives this christmas. Bioshock is not exclusive at all only has exclusive mini games. And only 2 (maybe 3 if Rare actually make a good 360 game this gen) are worth talking about. Too Human is piss poor IMO from the demo I played.

On the plus side the 360 gets extra portal missions and Gears and Fable 2 will be amazing.

So to sum up, upcoming games slightly favour (not heavily) favour the 360 this Christmas.

I'm not being one sided at all. As I said in my post, all releases were pulled from gamefaqs.com. None of the games you've listed are down as having a release date on that site before the end of this year.

I'm perfectly aware Bioshock isn't an exclusive, as I finished it on the 360 the bones of a year ago, but it's going to be pushed massively when it's released. Regardless of whether those 360 exclusives will be amazing, the fact is that going by the release dates, they have a lot more going for them than the PS3.

As a machine, there PS3 has nothing wrong with it. Games wise, it's not worth a ****e compared to the 360, and that's my seasoned opinion. If the PS4 has better games than the Xbox 720, I'll be switching over. It really is all about the games. Sony have dropped the ball on this front. They've concentrated too much on blu ray. Look at the PSOne and PS2. I'm still playing them. In the last month, I've finished FF7,8 and 9 on my PSP and I'm currently replaying my way through FFX, with FFX-2 and FFXII on standby. Nothing on the PS3 grabs me the way a multitude of games did for the PS1/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Thanks for the business lesson..... you're right but a bit obvious to point out.

Whether its keeping down the price of games I'm not so sure...

I'm still happy with my PS3, anything yous have said hasn't really persuaded me otherwise - its my taste alone.

The PS3 gave me everything I wanted personally in a console. All the exclusives you talk about I'm not really interested in.

I am not saying either are better then or knocking, just wanted to know what Xbox users thought of the 360.

I wasn't gunning for you in that post Air-Aussie. You asked a legitimate question at the start of this thread, but as is the case in most threads like this, it manifested itself into a snowball console head to head thread.

I'm a 360 owner, but the truth be told and given the opportunity, I'd happily buy a PS3 and sit it right next to the 360 and have the best of both worlds.

Unless, that is, someone comes up with a dual 360 and PS3 system...hmmm idea brewing, rip the components of each out and stick them into a single case similar to those mad looking computers made by building enthuiasts. We could call it the PS360. Where's my patent form gone?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

then why not ask that instead of asking "why is a 360 better than a ps3".

Just like every other X Console thread that mentions the Y console competition in its home forum, these threads decend into the usual mine is better than yours.

I'm not being one sided at all. As I said in my post, all releases were pulled from gamefaqs.com. None of the games you've listed are down as having a release date on that site before the end of this year.

Ok fair enough about your other points but dont mind gamefaqs (they are run my friggin gamespot), I guarantee you them 3 games will be out before Christmas day. Oh and I forgot Socom Confrontation shipping before Christmas as well. So to say the PS3 has no exclusives coming up just because its on gamefaqs doesnt work.

Heres some links to Gamestops release date. Since they are the biggest Games retailer in the world, theyd have more info than Gamefaqs.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=12133

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65483

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=70789

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71727

4 Exclusives all shipping this year.

I don't look at gamestop.com as it's a US sites with US dates. A quick look on Amazon give Oct 30th for LittleBigPlanet and no results for Resistance 2, though I can't see why people are fussed about the second one as I didn't think much of the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

no results for Resistance 2, though I can't see why people are fussed about the second one as I didn't think much of the first one.

I hear that! the first one was as dull as dish-water. Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

noodler wrote: »

Numbers aren't an indicator. Sony not changing the fundamental design of the controller is nothing other than laziness. Blu-Ray was more important to them this time around. I was hoping the DS3 controller was going to be a good replacement for the 6-axis, but it isn't... same crap with added rumble.
    fitz0 wrote: »
    Agreed The Gamecube controller was brilliant. there was just something satisfying about hitting the A button. You don't get that with a PS3 or a 360 controller.

Bang on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement