Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is a Xbox 360 better then a PS3??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

chrislad wrote: »
    I don't look at gamestop.com as it's a US sites with US dates. A quick look on Amazon give Oct 30th for LittleBigPlanet and no results for Resistance 2, though I can't see why people are fussed about the second one as I didn't think much of the first one.

But it still doesnt beat the facts that them 4 exclusives will be out near Christmas. If you dont like Gamestop, try play then for the European releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I wasn't gunning for you in that post Air-Aussie. You asked a legitimate question at the start of this thread, but as is the case in most threads like this, it manifested itself into a snowball console head to head thread.

I'm a 360 owner, but the truth be told and given the opportunity, I'd happily buy a PS3 and sit it right next to the 360 and have the best of both worlds.

Unless, that is, someone comes up with a dual 360 and PS3 system...hmmm idea brewing, rip the components of each out and stick them into a single case similar to those mad looking computers made by building enthuiasts. We could call it the PS360. Where's my patent form gone?:D

It was a true point, couldnt agree more. Would be sweet.
    syboit wrote: »
    then why not ask that instead of asking "why is a 360 better than a ps3".

Just like every other X Console thread that mentions the Y console competition in its home forum, these threads decend into the usual mine is better than yours.

Yes understood the title was perhaps inappropriate, but I wanted to see what Xbox users thought made it a good console compared to PS3 - in their opinion - it was not attempt to slat the Xbox360. But I think many people get defensive when the idea of their console not being the best surface..

I've never actually said the PS3 was better then the Xbox anywhere here. But it wasn't to my taste when I was buying it, maybe I was drawn by the shininess of the PS....

I have never experienced an Xbox (no more then a quick spin in-store). The Xbox as a console never grabbed my attention. I would like to experience this better gaming experience if it exists. But other then that the idea of exclusive games (the ones named so far) would not push me. OK the idea of exclusive content for GTA did or a bit, but how that will turn out is still unknown.

On an alternative note, that it was possible for Microsoft to patent in-game music on a console to me is absurd; something like Microsoft or Apple patenting playing music on a PC with Windows Media Player or Itunes. I don't know if I'm the only one who thought this.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Been a long time xbox owner..over 5 years since the original.
    Owned a playstation 1 (went through 7 of them in my first day buying it..turned out to be a dogdy 3rd party controller :o ).
    After going through my 3rd elite system in 8 months thanks to the red rings I decided enough was enough and switched to the PS3..
    My thoughts now are both machines are fantastic for gaming.
    However the PS3 is quieter and more reliable to 10points to PS3. 7 to xbox.
    Gaming catalogue on xbox is miles ahead of PS3. 10 points to Xbox. 5 to PS3.
    Free online gaming on PS3. Very stable and no lag unlike live. 10 pts to PS3. 6 for xbox.
    I have already replaced the hard drive in ps3 with the 320gb. And installed ubuntu. And copied over my movie collection (some of it :) ). Can you do this on the xbox? 10 points for PS3. 0 for Xbox.
    Controllers for the xbox. The best bar none. MS know their ergonomics. I use all their products such as Sidewinder force feedback (best joystick ever made) to the natural keyboard pro (split keyboard-most comfortable).
    I hate Sony's crappy controllers..the fact they didn't bother their ass redesigning them is pure money saving.. Xbox 10 points. PS3- 4 points.

So totals
    Xbox-33 PS3-39.

Now don't get me wrong. I loved my 360 and the games catalogue. Had about 15 HD-DVD movies which in my opinion was a far better format than Blu-ray as picture quality was about the same but HD-DVD was fully support from day one while any poor sucker that bought a first gen blu-ray player got screwed and can't play any of the profile 2 features.
    But I'm come around to the PS3 and what I can do with it.
    Plus simple things like built in chat..no crap with messenger..built in browser..etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

Owned a playstation 1 (went through 7 of them in my first day buying it..turned out to be a dogdy 3rd party controller :o ).
    After going through my 3rd elite system in 8 months thanks to the red rings I decided enough was enough and switched to the PS3..
    Free online gaming on PS3. Very stable and no lag unlike live. 10 pts to PS3. 6 for xbox.
    I have already replaced the hard drive in ps3 with the 320gb. And installed ubuntu. And copied over my movie collection (some of it :) ). Can you do this on the xbox? 10 points for PS3. 0 for Xbox.
    Controllers for the xbox. The best bar none. MS know their ergonomics. I use all their products such as Sidewinder force feedback (best joystick ever made) to the natural keyboard pro (split keyboard-most comfortable).
    I hate Sony's crappy controllers..the fact they didn't bother their ass redesigning them is pure money saving.. Xbox 10 points. PS3- 4 points.

So totals
    Xbox-33 PS3-39.

Now don't get me wrong. I loved my 360 and the games catalogue. Had about 15 HD-DVD movies which in my opinion was a far better format than Blu-ray as picture quality was about the same but HD-DVD was fully support from day one while any poor sucker that bought a first gen blu-ray player got screwed and can't play any of the profile 2 features.
    Plus simple things like built in chat..no crap with messenger..built in browser..etc.

I agree 100% with everything you said. I switched to the PS3 for the same reasons but had the pro system. I had enough of the red rings. Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

So totals
    Xbox-33 PS3-39.

That was like Eurovision results night all over again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just about the hard drive in your numbers post. I have a 500GB hard drive which i can hook up to my xbox and watch my movies on that, it also has the ability to playback HD from the hard drive.

So totals
    Xbox-33 PS3-39.

Good post man the type of insight i was looking for. I'm not sure about the controller tho i thought the Xbox controller to alot chunkier then d PS, true they should have redesigned it.

I did like microsoft's sidewinder gamepad they had years ago but thought the Xbox controller was not as comfy.

The original xbox controller was a lot chunkier..
    The newer 360 one is a lot sleeker and far more comfortable..even after playing warhawk/bf:bad company on the ps3 controller within 20 minutes my right hand starts getting numb..
    I wish some 3rd party company would release a bluetooth xbox controller for the ps3. Can't be that hard to do. And move those goddamn sticks!!:mad:

As for the hard drive I don't want to have an external hard drive lying around and sucking up more power. It's far handier having it inside the ps3.
    Plus last night I converted all my HD .mkv files to .m2ts files which the ps3 reads and bingo..I now have the likes of The Matril Trilogy/Lord Of the Rings/Star Wars etc all on my ps3 and playing perfectly :)
    Only problem now is I've decided 320GB isn't just enough..where's those 500GB 2.5 " drives we were promised? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Good post man the type of insight i was looking for. I'm not sure about the controller tho i thought the Xbox controller to alot chunkier then d PS, true they should have redesigned it.

I did like microsoft's sidewinder gamepad they had years ago but thought the Xbox controller was not as comfy.

Really? The difference in the controllers was one of my reasons for buying the xbox.
    After trying some FPS and racing games on my brothers PS3, I found the controller was way too light and flimsy.
    Plus my fingers kept slipping from the triggers or locking up on the analogue sticks.

Also, even though I have to pay for it Live seems to include me more.

Apparently the Hen Beck site modified a Xbox 360 controller to work with a PS3. Basically just took the guts of it out and moved it to the 360 controller...
    might give it a shot. Surprise that no company never came out and actually did this. Lots of the ps crowd bitch about the crap controllers.

Hell even the one below would have been better than it..plus I could have used it to kill kangaroos :D

http://ps3.themanroom.com/images/ps3/controller.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

PS3 more reliable? Giving it 10 gives the impression that it doesnt have any problems. I have a mate who had to replace his twice in the first six months. 8 to 6 might be more fair.

While PS3 might be free for online gaming most Xbox owners are quite happy to pay the minimal sub for what is an excellent service. And its going to improve even more soon when new things like 8 way chat comes in. Plus if you want to chat to friends on the PS3 network you have to buy a bluetooth headset so technically its not free. The amount of DLC/movies etc. available on the Live Marketplace is superior also. Call it a draw.

The Ubuntu argument is a bit pointless as its just not possible to do on a 360. Xbox owners could ask "we can play gears of war, can you?". Xbox 10 PS3 0. The fact that Ubuntu can be installed doesnt mean it is easy to do. Most PS3 owners will not even know what Ubuntu is or how to install it. No score.

How do the scores come out now?

I have nothing against the PS3 and was thinking of buying one in the Tesco promotion at the weekend (stag weekend got in the way :D) and will buy one before end of the year but too many arguments are so biased its funny. For me the games I want to play are on the 360 and essentially they are gaming consoles, not pcs or home entertainment hubs, and thats how they should be judged.

bucks73 wrote: »
    PS3 more reliable? Giving it 10 gives the impression that it doesnt have any problems. I have a mate who had to replace his twice in the first six months. 8 to 6 might be more fair.

While PS3 might be free for online gaming most Xbox owners are quite happy to pay the minimal sub for what is an excellent service. And its going to improve even more soon when new things like 8 way chat comes in. Plus if you want to chat to friends on the PS3 network you have to buy a bluetooth headset so technically its not free. The amount of DLC/movies etc. available on the Live Marketplace is superior also. Call it a draw.

The Ubuntu argument is a bit pointless as its just not possible to do on a 360. Xbox owners could ask "we can play gears of war, can you?". Xbox 10 PS3 0. The fact that Ubuntu can be installed doesnt mean it is easy to do. Most PS3 owners will not even know what Ubuntu is or how to install it. No score.

How do the scores come out now?

I have nothing against the PS3 and was thinking of buying one in the Tesco promotion at the weekend (stag weekend got in the way :D) and will buy one before end of the year but too many arguments are so biased its funny. For me the games I want to play are on the 360 and essentially they are gaming consoles, not pcs or home entertainment hubs, and thats how they should be judged.

I considered that the PS3 has initial heating problems but these were quickly sorted out. MS have release 2-3 new 360 versions since the original and all 3 still suffer from overheating hence PS10 Xbox 0.
    8 way chat? So I can hear 7 bloody yanks screaming "omg u fag" to listening to the little bastards singing the latest razorlight song? no thanks dude.
    And since any bluetooth headset works with the ps3 there's a good chance most people already have one of these for their phone.
    And you can't dismiss the Ubuntu case just because Xbox can't do it.
    This is the whole point of comparing it. The PS3 is less locked down than the Xbox and for this it wins points.

and lastly both consoles are designed as entertainment hubs.
    Granted they're game consoles first, but they both support High Def playback, streaming of video/music from PCs etc and also support downloading of movies/games etc from their respective sites so it's not enough to classify them as just a game console. I bought my PS3 strictly for media streaming and it's better than I thought. As much as I hate Sony I have to admit they got the majority of the PS3 right.
    MS did a great job as well, if only they'd fix the heating problems and allow me to copy videos etc to the 120GB then I'd be happy to switch back.
    I'd support MS over Sony anyday.

8 way chat? So I can hear 7 bloody yanks screaming "omg u fag" to listening to the little bastards singing the latest razorlight song? no thanks dude.

Lol...no I mean chat with 7 others from your friend list. If you want to end up in a room full of annoying american teenagers just throw on CoD4. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Ultimately software is king when it comes to games consoles. The hardware comes second.

If I kept my PS3 I'd still be waiting for it to deliver so real top quality games eg where oh where is Killzone 2? In the mean time I've played Gears of War, Halo 3 and Mass Effect. I had a great year gaming with my 360. If I'd kept my PS3 I'd have spent the last year looking at magazines and reading about great titles in the works, in between struggling with a poor controller while playing GTA IV aside and CODIV.

The PS3 should be the better console but it still really has to deliver on a lot of it promises. The Xbox 360 on the other hand already has a world class line up of great games. It's just a shame Mircrosoft didn't take notes from Sony about how to actual build and release a console that bloody works.

Microsoft banged out the Xbox signed up some developers and rushed to the market trying to get an advantage over Sony. Their mentality is 'We'll figure it out as we go a along'. Sony on the other hand want to do everything right and are meticulous to a fault. They fact is they may be moving too slow to keep up with their competitors.

PS I've surfed the net using my PS3. It's not a nice experience and why would you want to install Ubuntu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have found surfing okay with a keyboard. You just listed a couple of 360 games there, the PS3 is nowhere near as bad off in the games department as people say. Its not a year ago or anything. Half the games are multiformat and PS3 has exclusives of its own. Halo3? Alot of people debate the "top-class" quality of this game. It is very like the previous one.

To be honest, knowing my console will breakdown pretty much wins PS3 the argument for me.

Surfing on the PS3 is hardly as intuitive as a PC. The newer Xbox consoles are a lot less likely to break down. Although Microsoft do deserve all the grief they have received for releasing a flawed machine in the first place.

My console was out of action for a couple of days but that was better than having a piece of kit that gathered dust from lack of use. But that's just me. I'd didn't like much about the PS3's software or anything in the pipeline apart from Killzone 2.

I'm not saying there are no games on the PS3 worth playing but when you look at the sheer level choice on the XBox, Wii and even PC, the PS3 still, over a year later, has some catching up to do.

It's a pointless argument anyway, from a console user's point of view. PS, WII and Xbox fans all enjoy their machines just as owners of Megadrives, Dreamcasts and Super Nintendos did theirs. Even if there's never an Xbox 720, for me Microsoft's machine was the right choice.

The only real losers are the companies who make the machines. I couldn't give a toss if Microsoft Entertainment's division is still losing money or if Sony are still selling the PS3 at a loss. I'd rather more choice (more consoles, more games) than less. I'd love to see Apple make a games console, for instance.

noodler wrote: »
    Halo3? Alot of people debate the "top-class" quality of this game. It is very like the previous one.

Its still the biggest selling title on either the 360 or the PS3 by a long way and last week went back top of the Live online charts for the first time in a while.

"My console was out of action for a couple of days but that was better than having a piece of kit that gathered dust from lack of use. "

I agree that its down to what you enjoy so whats with this statement then? Id play COD4, MGS4, PRO EVO, Fallout 3 when it is out, the new Ratchet and Clank was the best platformer I have ever played, Resident Evil 5, God of war etc etc etc.

I also prefer the controller. Its silly to say ppl who own only a ps3 don't use it. You don't really think that this si the case do you?

As is being shoved down my throat earlier in this thread, sales are not always a determinant of quality. Halo and Halo 2 were excellent online too. I could say Pro Evo games are perfection cos they are great with a friend etc. I found Halo 3's singleplayer pretty boring.

There really is room for both consoles. Would you really want your ps3 or 360 being thje only real choice in the market? If that happens there would be no one to keep each company in line.

Of course its not as good as a PC for surfing. Its still a games console.
    But Id rather watch a Blu-Ray or a HD-DVD on a dedicated machine as well, don't want the Blu Ray or HD-DVD drive burned out from watching movies.

My point was I wasn't enjoying my PS3. I knew when I swapped it for an Xbox I was getting something that could conceivable break down.

Now one year later, the three or four days the Xbox was broken for were a fair trade off for the extra hours of gaming I got out of it, over a PS3.

Okay I didn't realse you had both. For me, the PS3's situation gamewise is similiar enough to the way it was gamewise to the ps2. All the games I want are still on ps2, some are no longer exlusives but MGS4 is. I can still play pro evo with my favoured controller. FF is still gonna be on ps3 (as well as 360-they haven't TAKEN it).

Also, I guess theres the Blu-ray and media Hub thing. Useful I guess.

Basically the reasons I bought a ps2 are the same reasons for a PS3. (For me)

• Advertisement

Its silly to say ppl who own only a ps3 don't use it. You don't really think that this si the case do you?

Well the online stats show that the 360 is used far more then the PS3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/05/nielsen-wii-usage-is-second-to-other-consoles/

So going by those stats between April 2007 and February 2008 57% of all gaming minutes is on the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3s 16%. Even if Neilsens figures arent exactly accurate its still a big difference.

Doesn't that only mean people who play online? If not, there are still plenty of more casual gamers who dont hook up their consoles to the internet.

Plenty of criticisms on the page about its accuracy anyway.

Does it take into account there are simply more 360s out there at the moment?

Oh sorry, its a survey. I wouldn't put much faith in that to be honest. No telling if they got hardcore gamers or what. Online surveys are fairly useless.

As surveys go, the Nielsens are pretty accurate. They are widely used for assessing television and radio ratings.You'd be hard pressed to find a better internet ratings system (Google Analytics maybe? But that's a little biased).

Interesting to note that people over 27 spend more days playing the PS3 and people under 27 spend more days playing the Xbox 360. That might explain all the young American nutters on Xbox Live.

The statistics also make the Wii, for all its success, look more like a novelty console.

silvine wrote: »
    The statistics also make the Wii, for all its success, look more like a novelty console.

I thought we all knew that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So totals
    Xbox-33 PS3-39.

Quick everyone, you heard the man! let's all get PS3s cos they are 6 points better then a 360!

Its silly to say ppl who own only a ps3 don't use it. You don't really think that this si the case do you?

Well that's exactly what happened when I had one! it had 2 decent exclusive games at the time and the online service pales in comparison to live.

Oh sorry, its a survey. I wouldn't put much faith in that to be honest. No telling if they got hardcore gamers or what. Online surveys are fairly useless.

Oooooo a SURVEY.... Must be the gospel truth so....... :pac:

Yeah statistics can't really be used for any argument - usually badly done and with limited amount of pple in a narrow demographic.

Statistics can be made up for any side of an argument.

I can't really see why the PS3 and Xbox360 can be compared so directly as one is alot older then the other...

Even if PS3 is technically losing this console war at the moment-it doesn't really make it crap.

I know plenty of original xbox owners who loved their machine even though it lost the last war to ps2.

Also, I think alot of people (me included) are still playing their ps2s. (sony sold 12m ps2s last year) and waiting to go ps3.

Good post man the type of insight i was looking for.
    Oooooo a SURVEY.... Must be the gospel truth so....... :pac:

Yeah statistics can't really be used for any argument - usually badly done and with limited amount of pple in a narrow demographic.

Statistics can be made up for any side of an argument.

So you accept statistics when somebody makes up his own survey and scores it himself and results in: PS3 39 Xbox360 33, but you dont accept the findings of a Neilsen survey. That makes sense. :rolleyes:

AIR-AUSSIE wrote:
    I can't really see why the PS3 and Xbox360 can be compared so directly as one is alot older then the other...

Yeah one year is a huge length of time. :rolleyes:
    Even if PS3 is technically losing this console war at the moment-it doesn't really make it crap.

No one said it was crap. Just better games on the 360.

Well I dunno. MGS4. Uncharted. Ratchett and Clank. Resistance.
    Versus Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock.

Im sure Im missing some but the way I see it the best games are actually multi platform at the momet. COD4, pro evo/Fifa, Orange Box, Gta4, the incoming Resi5, F3, ff13 etc

Im sure Im missng loads of 360 exclusive games especially.

• Advertisement

MGS4 is the first game I would buy when I get a PS3 and I like the look of Resistance 2 but others dont interest me. I like me shooters. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement