Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House repossesion

• 21-07-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Purely a hypothetical question for my own curiosity.

Say a house is repossessed by a bank and the occupants are evicted by the bank. The house is sold at auction for a ridiculously small amount way less than what was owed on it.

Now would it be legal for the former owners to bid on their old house? Could the bank repossess the house again if that happened?
    Also if a friend of the former owner bought the house at auction and then signed it over to the former owners would the bank take action?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

I don't think so.

* There is no law -that I am aware of- keeping away the houses former occupants evicted by the bank from an auction.

* Title of the house is being sold at the auction. Validity of offers and acceptance are not concerned with the identity of the parties.

* It is up to the bank to set a sensible reserve price (and presumably while they are trying to get rid of the asset quickly, they still want to get as much as possible for it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Plus if you've reached the stage where your house has been repossessed you're hardly in a position financially to buy it back:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would be surprised. Houses can go for very silly money at auction particularly in view of the decline in the market.

I have seen repossessed houses sold for $1 in the USA.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The difference between the USA and Ireland is that in the USA they foreclose on a property, whereas in Ireland they don't. Essentially in the USA they take a house in exchange for the debt, but in Ireland they take the house and sell it, and if there is any excess of funds they are paid back to the punters, but if there is a shortfall of funds the bank can pursue the punters.

However, a mortgagee who repossesses a property has a fiduciary duty to get a reasonable sale price on the property, so firesales like in the US are less likely here.

It's perfectly legal for anyone to bid in an auction provided they have the money and a bona fides intention to purchase the property. If the ejected occupants did buy back the property at auction, they could not be evicted by the bank unless the bank had a mortgage over their property, which would be unlikely (unless the bank pursued them for any losses and obtained a judgement mortgage against the property). The friend scenario is really more complicated than is necessary, but if people want to pay twice the solicitors fees I won't stand in their way.

Advertisement