Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lowering

Options
  • 21-07-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Righto, here we go.
    Bought my golf, got my wheels, got my lights, my spoiler and me stereo. Now it needs to be lower. There too much of a gap between the wheels and the car:D. I'd like advise from people who've lowered MK4's.

How low do u go before it ruins it. I do a bit of country driving at the weekends so i don't want to go too low, fear of damaging the under belly of her.

I've more to say but that should get the ball rolling :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

What size are you're wheels? 30mm probably be the best, any lower than that and you're going to be getting a few bangs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

My old golf GT had a 40mm drop all round as standard. The wheels were 17" with 45mm tyres. The GTi had the same setup too so if you just get the springs off ine of those you'd get the job done. I've seen 18" on them too with 40mm tyres too but I don't know if they were modified. If you want to improve the handling then you're going to need new coilovers with progressive rate springs and thats going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I had the koni sport kit on my last golf consist of damper adjustable shocks and matched springs very good piece of kit for lowering on a budget.

On the bora i have koni coil overs,these are just another level altogether i would advise you get coil overs as you can adjust to the exact height you want,much more comfy than springs and shocks also,the bora is sitting lower than the golf was and its way more comfy!

Don't buy just lowering springs always match them with uprated shocks esp if you are going to go 30mm or there abouts,don't buy max power style solutions,do your research and buy reputable brands such as koni,eibach,H&R etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol thanks for the info lads, to be honest alot of it means sweet f/a to me lol. I've got seventeens under the got atm, and as u can see it's just that bit high.
    golfforvag.jpg

I'd like to be able to walk into a shop and say can i have such and such shocks and so on. I'll fit them meself then. I duno what kinda budget i have. I'd like to lower it maybe 30-35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Lol thanks for the info lads, to be honest alot of it means sweet f/a to me lol. I've got seventeens under the got atm, and as u can see it's just that bit high.
    golfforvag.jpg

I'd like to be able to walk into a shop and say can i have such and such shocks and so on. I'll fit them meself then. I duno what kinda budget i have. I'd like to lower it maybe 30-35.

Thats a nice Golf man ;)

• Advertisement

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Thats a nice Golf man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Coilovers would be your best job. As of which brand I haven’t got a monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

vagdrivers.net
    might help ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Never mind the Golf what car is that in front of it???

MOG7 wrote: »
    Never mind the Golf what car is that in front of it???

Hah a triumph tr4a!

Thanks for the help lads. I was off for a week there and was in the whhhest coast with four in the car and a nice bit of luggage and she was scraping alot... Pity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I had my last BMW lowered 40mm and running on 17". It was fine for everyday driving but you just have to be carefull on the odd backroads.

A set of adjustables id probably your best bet, if you dont like the height then you will always have the option of easily changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Mine used to do that, its a bit disconcerting but it was only ever the mudflaps that scraped.

Also stiffer or progressive rate springs might actually help with the scraping.

Lose the mudflaps! lol that should be the first mod anyone makes to a car.

My bora is sitting very low now and it never bottoms out,the only trouble is the exhaust on certain speed bumps,i always take it handy over speed bumps anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

are you serious

think they improve some cars

mud flaps are manky looking! each to their own but i like a clean look and mud flaps don't do it for me.

tossy wrote: »
    mud flaps are manky looking! each to their own but i like a clean look and mud flaps don't do it for me.

I just got mudflaps thinking they would make the car look better, iv only gotten around to putting one on tho, i might get around to putting on the others some time:rolleyes: but ya i kinda like the clean look too, i like to see the big ball of an 18inch tyre:D

Mudflaps are staying, i spent six hours de-tarring the car when i got it and with the wider wheels i'm hoping the will save it some what. Just after a week away and i'd love to show ye the dirt on the mudflaps.

Brother had them on his and took them off, and i thought they looked better on.

As for lowering it defo won't be happening, i have a pick of the car on the dual carrage way and with two lads on the back of the car, it was sitting fairly low. And the mudflaps were scraping the whole time to let me know it was sitting that low lol.

Next mods will be selling it and buyin a GTI lol:D

GTIs have no mudflaps as standard!

I think mudflaps are awful looking yokes! and of course your flaps are going to be rubbing the are a good 2 or 3 inches lower than your bodywork!

Lower it and stop being such a pussy lol!!

tossy wrote: »
    GTIs have no mudflaps as standard!

I think mudflaps are awful looking yokes! and of course your flaps are going to be rubbing the are a good 2 or 3 inches lower than your bodywork!

Lower it and stop being such a pussy lol!!

I'll lower it if there is no play what so ever in the back haha. I often have a few people and plenty of luggage so it's not the most practical thing. It's cryin out for it though, along with the body coloured plastics. But then i'd only be buy a GTi for the seats, and the engine:P...

seats,engine,brakes,suspension......

You may be surprised to know but lowering a car on the right set up actually decreases the risk of bottoming out! just lower it ok! :)

• Advertisement

+1 lower it and harden up the back shocks. Just think of how well it will look and handle. Im getting 18inch rims in a few weeks and going to lower it till the wheels nearly sitting in the arch:cool:

I can just imagine u going down a country road, there'll be a print of ur head in the roof! I hope u don't have a sunroof haha:D

I can just imagine u going down a country road, there'll be a print of ur head in the roof! I hope u don't have a sunroof haha:D

Nah dont have a sun roof, ah il take it handy on the roads.. It will look sweet tho

Came down a steep hill in the bog arse of Clonlara yesterday in the pissing rain about 12 o clock and what did i do, straight for a ditch. Bloody wheel is all scraped. God dam it...

How much am i looking at to lower the whole car, excluding labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Lowering springs are relativley cheap, €150 - €200 i think

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Lowering springs are relativley cheap, €150 - €200 i think

Yes but coil overs are a better job as you can adjust them to suit when ever you want, you would get a good enough set off ebay for around 300.00

so we have finally made you see sense eh? lol

As with everything you get what you pay for,i think my coilovers were 600 stg befroe fitting and the are one of the best coilovers for the mk4 platform,i reckon coilovers for a 2wd drive golf will be a bit cheaper though so don't fret!

Stick to brands such as koni,KW,H&R and you can't wrong.

The koni's i have are rebound adjustable,damper adjustable and height adjustable so you can find a nice balance.

Right i've decided, i'm going to lower it. Probably cut springs for the time being and coilovers if i come across a cheap set. Here are the planned mods

Lowering -30mm to 40mm (+ a sump guard:D)
    Light tint from the B post back
    Respray back bumper and mirrors (scratches)
    R line interior mouldings + gearnob + other bits :D.
    The mudflaps might have to go and i'll just buy a big tub of tar and glue lol

• Advertisement

Haha ul def need a sump guard:D

Advertisement