Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i sink this surfboard? 7'9 13.5 stone?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

hey dudes
    i'm in the process of buying a bic natural surf 7'9
    yes you guess right i'm a beginner

however i've read
    this board is good for begineers up to 170lbs
    and good for intermediate 170lbs+
    also "this board floats 185lbs"

now i'm 6ft tall and weigh 190lbs
    so will this surboard sink under my mamoth weight OR
    would i be better going for a 8'4 "magnum"
    which floats up to 220 lbs.

thanks for quick responses
    need to know by tommorow!
    james

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

My own understanding would lead me to believe the longer the better when you are a beginner. But I am a beginner so maybe see what one of the experienced head says! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I reckon you should be alright. I started on a 7 10" popout and I was closer to 14.5 stone at the time.

If you have the money and know you'll keep at it maybe consider a longboard ?

I surf a 9 2" now and wouldnt consider going less than 9' again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Am pretty much a beginner and 6'1" and 15 stone and have a 7'8" epoxy board and it just about carries me! If the wave lacks power I sink pretty soon after standing so can't just go for any frothy wave big BIC riders are on.

But then again I'm relatively new so might be doing something else wrong so don't take that as gospel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

get the 8'4, you will learn a lot quicker on it, althought a 7/9 will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

thanks guys, yeah i think maybe i should go for the 8'4, my only worry is that i'll get board of it too quick, but i'd rather have an easier start and outgrow the board quicker, than a harder start. still i supoose theres a good market for 2nd hand bic boards in good nic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

If you can try a board or two out before you buy that might help. A lot of surf shops on the west coast will hire you a board. Generally if you are absolute beginner a smaller board is harder to get going on and needs a bigger wave to propel it, so less chances of getting up on a small day or in the mush. You might be ok on the 7'9, I have one myself and it is a fun board. Bigger boards tend to be harder to manuever and take more effort to paddle out through the surf. I would go for the slightly bigger board to start off with. Once you get up to speed you can always sell it on, however most people hold onto their bics cos they are hardwearing and versatile, you don't see too many for sale.
    Hope this helps
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

dont go for the bic 8.4. its awful heavy. i started out on that at about 17.5st. shortly after moved on to an o'shea 7'8 epoxy. im a bit heavier now and the board is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

thanks guys
    ended up getting the 7'9, went to belmullet last w/e, works a treat

Advertisement