Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsafe to Stop

Options
  • 21-07-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Was out driving around Beaumont this evening, and as I was approaching lights they went Amber and I continued through as I deemed to stop at the speed I was going in order to stop before the line at the lights would have been unsafe - and potentially could have caused the pillock behind me (who was up my arse anyway) to rear end me.

Just need some clarification, as my Dad (an ex-Taxi driver) insists that it's dangerous and could cause me to fail my test - but I'm maintaining that even though the light wasn't green (just went amber as I was about to go through the junct. and turn) it was safer than jamming on. So settle a bet please!

Also, if I'm taking a right and I'm after just moving into the yellow box and the lights for red for me, should I proceed with the turn - as considering if I don't I'll block everything. I did that today also and he had kittens :eek:

And finally, another stopping question. Was up in Baldoyle this evening sussing out the area. I noticed that the first stop sign in the industrial estate has no line - but the junction is a bit further up from the sign - on my test should I stop at the sign or go to the junction and stop on the tar line? (I stopped at the sign this evening - but wasn't sure what I was to do).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If the situation is, the lights are green up until just before you enter the junction, and you are travelling too fast to stop safely. i would continue, you shouldn't put yourself in a situation where you have to jam on the breaks just because the lights go amber. Just to clarify, an amber light means, stop, unless it is unsafe to do so.
    If you are turning right at a junction and your lights go red while your in the middle of the junction, yes you are required to proceed, not doing so would block the junction and cause an obstruction to traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

macroman wrote: »
    Was out driving around Beaumont this evening, and as I was approaching lights they went Amber and I continued through as I deemed to stop at the speed I was going in order to stop before the line at the lights would have been unsafe - and potentially could have caused the pillock behind me (who was up my arse anyway) to rear end me.

Just need some clarification, as my Dad (an ex-Taxi driver) insists that it's dangerous and could cause me to fail my test - but I'm maintaining that even though the light wasn't green (just went amber as I was about to go through the junct. and turn) it was safer than jamming on. So settle a bet please!

And finally, another stopping question. Was up in Baldoyle this evening sussing out the area. I noticed that the first stop sign in the industrial estate has no line - but the junction is a bit further up from the sign - on my test should I stop at the sign or go to the junction and stop on the tar line? (I stopped at the sign this evening - but wasn't sure what I was to do).

Thanks.

I only have a learner permit so my opinion isn't worth an awful lot, however, i did get full marks in my theory test and know the book inside out. One question on the T.T. is what do you do at an amber light? The answer is, *Stop unless it is unsafe to do so. So imo, you're right on the first one.

I don't really understand your question for the second.

As far as I know, you should always stop before the sign.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Also, if I'm taking a right and I'm after just moving into the yellow box and the lights for red for me, should I proceed with the turn - as considering if I don't I'll block everything
    Once you enter the junction, you are no longer governed by the lights and therefore are free to proceed (if safe to do so).

Just remember that you must not enter the yellow box for a right turn unless your right turn exit is clear. If traffic is backed up on you exit road you must wait behind the line.

(And I wouldn't taken any advice from a taxi driver. In my experience, their knowledge of the rules of driving are severely limited! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Just remember that you must not enter the yellow box for a right turn unless your right turn exit is clear. If traffic is backed up on you exit road you must wait behind the line.

(And I wouldn't taken any advice from a taxi driver. In my experience, their knowledge of the rules of driving are severely limited! ;))
    Think I better clarify before I end up stuck behind some learner till year dot trying to turn right at a box junction:eek:
    Many box junctions dont have right filter lights, so you may have to enter the box halfway while traffic is still coming against you. As soon as traffic stops (often not till lights turn red) and way is clear, you turn right.
    You cannot do this if traffic is backed up on your exit route. In this case you do not enter the box junction till the exit is clear.
    If you did, when the lights turn red, you will be in the box, blocking oncoming traffic.

WA, have to agree with you wholeheartedly regarding the ixaTs.
    Had my scariest ever flight in one to the airport. Stop signs, traffic lights and sound barriers weren't his biggest forte. I'm sure my fingerprints are still on his dash.
    I've been knocked off a bike by one, my sister was knocked down on a pedestrian crossing by one(hit and run), can't say I'm all that impressed by any of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lol at you listening to a taxi driver about how to drive.... You're right on both counts.

EDIT: I should say tho, if the lights have been green for a long time as you approach them, you should anticipate them turning to amber and then red and be prepared to deal with this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

You are not meant to partialy or fully enter a yellow box until your exit is clear.

That means, if you are sitting at a junction, with a big yellow empty box in front of you, but traffic blocking your route, you dont enter it, you dont even attempt to enter it.

For your test do it this way, it might mean having to wait, but wait and forget about the people behind you who want you to go into it and wait in it.

When you have your full licence, you will find that some boxes are fine to go into, as when the lights turn, they will turn in your favour and you wont cause a blockage.

Also, you shouldnt have to slam on the brakes at traffic lights, You should just take it easy while aproaching lights, take your foot off gas, and let the car loose some of its own momentum, and then power back on as you pass them.

If you power up to traffic lights, you will get caught out and have to either speed up to make it through them or slam the brakes, everytime i have had to brake hard at lights, it was because i was accelerating toward them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You are not meant to partialy or fully enter a yellow box until your exit is clear.

That means, if you are sitting at a junction, with a big yellow empty box in front of you, but traffic blocking your route, you dont enter it, you dont even attempt to enter it.
    :confused: Repeat clarification.

Unless you are turning right as I explained above

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

He's not that bad...just opinionated! Passed test 25 years ago and think he knows better than the driving instructor! Doesn't really help when I've a professional and my gut instinct telling me one thing and him telling me another - he's promised to behave (again) when my Mam gave him an earful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Thanks.

My instructor told me I should stop at the sign and then go up to the junction. I have no idea why you'd put the stop sign so far away from the junction but hey thats Ireland for ya.
    In my test the examiner asked me not to stop at the sign at all (which was asked of other people I know who had a test there) He said that no normal cars stop there and he worries someone would hit into the back of you. Also it's not near the flippin junction.
    Just stop if he doesn't say anything about it. (At the sign)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

technically speaking you're supposed to stop at/just before the stop sign should there be no line. I dont know that particular junction so it's hard to tell, but i'd recommend, if there's a doubt, stopping at the stop sign and then creeping forward.

• Advertisement

Ordinarily I would stop at the sign if I couldn't see the line, but this junction looks like it originally had the line (Baldoyle industrial estate) but it's worn away. I stopped at the sign but I could barely see into the new road!

I suppose it's something I could ask the examiner before getting into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I stopped at the sign but I could barely see into the new road!
    You are required to come to a complete stop but then you are perfectly entitled to move off and out to improve your sightlines before completing the turn.

You are required to come to a complete stop but then you are perfectly entitled to move off and out to improve your sightlines before completing the turn.
    Thanks will bear that in mind. :)

Advertisement