Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions of purina beta dog food?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi
    Iv'e been feeding my king charles on purina beta sensitive for the past while. Normal dog food doesnt agree with his stomach.
    (was originally on hills science plan and royal canin).

The vet put hm on royal canin senstive diet but it is very expensive . So i thought I'd try the purina beta as it was a lot cheaper and his stomach has been just as good as when he was on royal canin sensitive.

I assumed that purina was a good brand but have noticed they have a range of foods from supermarket quality upwards.

If the more expensive foods would benefit him a lot more I would go back no problem to them.

So really just looking for other peoples opinions. Maybe suggestions for other good quality sensitive diets that are more readily available(If i want royal canin its veterinary only).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Royal Cannin is not vetinary only - Beta is a better version of bakers complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

royal canin sensitive diet is, It's also about a 1/3 dearer than standard royal canin foods.

Would you say beta is much better than bakers or just marginally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

Purina has alot of brands under the company name of purina ie pro plan, beta,bakers and winalot
    Beta is a good food and it working for your dog so why change.

I knew that purina have several brands, I just want to make sure it is a quality food, as I know bakers has a bit of a reputation for being McDonalds for dogs.

So if it's a decent food Im happy to keep using it. Just want whats best for the little guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

beta is a good food and your dog is happy on it so i would leave him on it

• Advertisement

cool.was just getting a bit confused as every box of dog food says it's great for your dog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The canine horde here have been experimenting with new foods (I don't like the idea of feeding them one food for the rest of their life) recently and I'm really liking Arden Grange & Fish4Dogs. My lot have done ok on most foods (though Yama could never stomach the breed specific Great Dane food from RC).

They go through the Arden Grange like there's no tomorrow and their coats are glossy, poos are small & firm (quite similar to when I fed BARF) and they've loads of energy.

The main Irish site appears to have been hacked :rolleyes: so here's a link to the UK Arden Grange site and it's stocked online here and the main suppliers in Ireland

They don't seem to be as fond of the Fish4Dogs (spoilt? never!) in that they'll take slightly longer to eat it and don't do the happy dance when I put it out but that doesn't mean they hold back from emptying the bowls. They adore the treat range from Fish4Dogs though so I suspect they're just being difficult :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My dalmatian is now on Royan Canin sensitive maxi as I found that it's the only one that agrees with him. Husse and Purina didn't ( and none of the cheaper brands). I also heard that Purina was bad quality but saying that if it agreed with him I would have continued to feed him that. On royal canin his stools are solid and he's not puking so it's worth the money.( €63 for a 15 kilo bag)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have being feeding my cocker spaniel Purina Beta for nearly a year now (I fed her on Purina Pro Plan before that, but was finding it very expensive). I feed her the one for small breeds as she won't touch any food with large kibbles. She is in perfect health, has a great coat, clear eyes, loads of energy, regular solid poos, she's a real beacon of health!

Any time I bring her to the vet (for vaccinations only - she's never ill) they complement me on how well she looks, as does my groomer and a neighbour of mine who is a vet. I think if the food is working for your dog, then don't worry about it. I think people get bogged down about all the different types of food. As someone on a different thread said "it's probably like us eating normal chicken instead of organic".

Just as a p.s. I would also give my dog a tin of tuna in oil (not brine) a couple of times a week. It really gives her coat a lovely sheen.

Advertisement