Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre Midfield

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

EVERY BLOODY SUMMER!!

Is there anyone else sick of the fact that every summer we are amongst the biggest spenders in Europe yet our managers never seem to splash the cash where it's needed - in the centre of midfield on a rugged, defensive, no-nonsense ball winning midfield player!!???

Ask any pundit, journo or fan and they'll tell you thats where Spurs problem has been the past few years. Is it any surprise that our best premiership finish we had the likes of Carrick and Davids in our squad, even though we had a largely inferior personell in other positions??

Ramos: 'Are you Jolly in disguise?'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Im suprised we have'nt made a move for Albelda, maybe the age thing is an issue !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Having seen the pictures of the man that was Huddlestone, I reckon Ramos plans on using him in the middle. I think it makes sense too as he can really pass the ball. His main problem is manoverability and if he's shed as much weight as it looks like he has, hopefully this has improved too.

Plus, he just signed a new 5 year contract, which would indicate to me that Ramos is keen on him.

Having said that, after Modric I just wanted us to pick up a strong CM, and as you have said it seems to be the one place we've neglected since Carrick left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

albelda would be a great addition and i dont think age should matter...he is only 30 and would come at a relatively cheap price.if spurs got 2 years out of him only then so be it...he is a natural captain so would be a real leader on the park.also he would have started for spain in the euros ahead of senna except for the fact that he lost his place at valencia when koeman took over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

SuprSi wrote: »
    Having seen the pictures of the man that was Huddlestone, I reckon Ramos plans on using him in the middle. I think it makes sense too as he can really pass the ball. His main problem is manoeuvrability and if he's shed as much weight as it looks like he has, hopefully this has improved too.

Plus, he just signed a new 5 year contract, which would indicate to me that Ramos is keen on him.

Having said that, after Modric I just wanted us to pick up a strong CM, and as you have said it seems to be the one place we've neglected since Carrick left.

I am not sure you can say carrick was or is a "strong CM" I think ManUre recognised that and that is why they brought in Hargreaves.

I think you may be right, he may well think they need to split these jobs and having Modric as the main play-maker and then players like Hudd and Zok in the hole might fit the bill (sort of a diamond).

However having said that I still think it would be nice to get in a proper solid DMF - someone like Roy Keane, just not sure who is out there and available to Spurs!

I agree, and my favourite player for that position would be Senna from Villareal. He was brilliant in the Euro's, like a young Makelele. I think he was priced at £25 million though as they really don't want to sell him!!

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    I agree, and my favourite player for that position would be Senna from Villareal. He was brilliant in the Euro's, like a young Makelele. I think he was priced at £25 million though as they really don't want to sell him!!

to be honest, id dump the bentley deal and bid 15million for Diarra at Portsmouth. Harry has mentioned that he needs to sell to buy again so we might have a sniff of getting him.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    to be honest, id dump the bentley deal and bid 15million for Diarra at Portsmouth. Harry has mentioned that he needs to sell to buy again so we might have a sniff of getting him.

Have to admit, I like the look of him as a player and that is the kind of lad we need in that position. The only thing putting me off is is attitude, I really think he wants first team action at a CL club, so I don't think he would think there was any benefit in him going from Pompey to us, especially as we are unlikely to meet his wage demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

John W wrote: »
    Have to admit, I like the look of him as a player and that is the kind of lad we need in that position. The only thing putting me off is is attitude, I really think he wants first team action at a CL club, so I don't think he would think there was any benefit in him going from Pompey to us, especially as we are unlikely to meet his wage demands.

I'm not 100% convinced by him but he'd be worth a gamble and I'd imagine that we wouldn't have to go as far as 15m to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

EVERY BLOODY SUMMER!!

Is there anyone else sick of the fact that every summer we are amongst the biggest spenders in Europe yet our managers never seem to splash the cash where it's needed - in the centre of midfield on a rugged, defensive, no-nonsense ball winning midfield player!!???

Ask any pundit, journo or fan and they'll tell you thats where Spurs problem has been the past few years. Is it any surprise that our best premiership finish we had the likes of Carrick and Davids in our squad, even though we had a largely inferior personell in other positions??

i thought bad defending by bad defenders was our problem.Carrick was never good defensively.

i thought bad defending by bad defenders was our problem.Carrick was never good defensively.

I don't entirely agree with this. He was quite tall, and was very good defending corners on the near post. He was also positionally very good, and managed to get in the way of a lot of passes. Also his pass completion ratio was very good, and he was particularly good at turning defense into attack.

I felt he was our anchor in midfield, and fair enough he's not the greatest midfielder we've ever had, but he'd still do a job for us and if he wanted to come back I'd welcome him in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement

Surprise wrote: »
    I don't entirely agree with this. He was quite tall, and was very good defending corners on the near post. He was also positionally very good, and managed to get in the way of a lot of passes. Also his pass completion ratio was very good, and he was particularly good at turning defence into attack.

I felt he was our anchor in midfield, and fair enough he's not the greatest midfielder we've ever had, but he'd still do a job for us and if he wanted to come back I'd welcome him in a heartbeat.

I think Hudd, Jenus, Modric and Dos Santos have all those qualities also - the thing we are missing that they don't have, and neither did carrick - is a solid midfeild tackling machine, someone who breaks up plays with tackles, who intimidates and ruffles the opposition midfeild - it was supposed to be Zok, but he just doesn't have it IMO.

I know it sounds out there, but, but I would love a Joey Barton or a Robbie Savage type figure at the club!:eek:

John W wrote: »
    I think Hudd, Jenus, Modric and Dos Santos have all those qualities also - the thing we are missing that they don't have, and neither did carrick - is a solid midfeild tackling machine, someone who breaks up plays with tackles, who intimidates and ruffles the opposition midfeild - it was supposed to be Zok, but he just doesn't have it IMO.

I know it sounds out there, but, but I would love a Joey Barton or a Robbie Savage type figure at the club!:eek:

I mentioned Barton weeks ago, he's exactly the type of knacker we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

no way not barton we dont want any criminals in our team,this lad will always get into trouble it would crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I mentioned Barton weeks ago, he's exactly the type of knacker we need.

I believe i would die a little inside if we signed a toe-rag like him, i still have my issues for woodgate but after the Carling Cup final i gave him benefit of the doubt...... just!

My knowlage is slightly limited but surely its worth having a poke for some CM in the Bundesliga surely exactly what we need is the traditional german.

It was just a suggestion.
    A certain Roy Keane was as bad as him in his day remember.

ziedth wrote: »
    I believe i would die a little inside if we signed a toe-rag like him, i still have my issues for woodgate but after the Carling Cup final i gave him benefit of the doubt...... just!

My knowlage is slightly limited but surely its worth having a poke for some CM in the Bundesliga surely exactly what we need is the traditional german.

Yes it sounds like a German might fit - i seem to remember our last German fit the bill (god ole Steffen).

But the question is who?:eek: How about frings? or what about the Ghanaian Anthony Annan!! two solid lads who could do the job alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It was just a suggestion.
    A certain Roy Keane was as bad as him in his day remember.

It wasn't anything personal buddy i just can't stand barton, I'm no lover of roy keane but at least he kept his scum baggishness to the pitch which i would happily except. not jumping people outside nightclubs or putting out fags in people's eyes. you tube joey barton fight it show's the CCTV footage of the fight for the reason he was on trial last.

On a side note has Steffan Frund retired yet :)

ziedth wrote: »
    It wasn't anything personal buddy i just can't stand barton, I'm no lover of roy keane but at least he kept his scum baggishness to the pitch which i would happily except. not jumping people outside nightclubs or putting out fags in people's eyes. you tube joey barton fight it show's the CCTV footage of the fight for the reason he was on trial last.

On a side note has Steffan Frund retired yet :)

Yes, just watched Barton on utube - your right, feck him - scum bag:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

EVERY BLOODY SUMMER!!

Dead right.A good holding midfielder-the rock that all high-achieving teams are built on.Christian Poulsen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Poulsen
    €9 from Sevilla (you would have hoped Ramos could have done something) to Juve was the miss of the summer.
    Jenas is physically not strong enough and will drift forward,I've lost faith in Zokora by now.I have hopes for Hudd but unless his mobility has improved greatly over the summer I can't see him covering this role.It's certainly not a position where you have to be a speed merchant but he is woefully slow.
    As another poster says-maybe there just aren't that many of the guys out there at this level for reasonable money and I'm being harsh on the scouting team but really thought that this would have been a priority.I wonder what Ramos has up his sleeve...

Advertisement