Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike service

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi...I bought a specialized allez road bike a few months ago. The guy in the lbs told me to bring it back for a service after 6 weeks or so and stressed that it was really important that I do so.

I would like to be able to service my bike myself and learn how to maintain and look after it, rather than just drop it down to the lbs every time.

Can anyone explain what is involved in servicing a bike and advice if I should do this myself or leave it to the experts in the lbs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The main thing after the first 6 weeks is that your cables will start to stretch a tad from use. This will affect your gear changing, etc. so its important to have these tightened, which is very easy to do yourself.

Aside from that, keeping everything clean and well lubed will save you a bit, but its best to avail of the 6 week service as this is normally free as a courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The main thing after the first 6 weeks is that your cables will start to stretch a tad from use. This will affect your gear changing, etc. so its important to have these tightened, which is very easy to do yourself.

Aside from that, keeping everything clean and well lubed will save you a bit, but its best to avail of the 6 week service as this is normally free as a courtesy.

Yes he did say that the first service was free alright. The thing is that I have been busy cycling in my spare time so I never got round to dropping it in for a service after six weeks!

Thanks for the advice about the cables. How would I go about tightening them myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have a look at where the cables attach to the gear derailler. There is an allan key bolt there that the cable passes through. Loosen the bolt, whilst holding the cable firmly and tug it though a bit, then retighten the bolt.

You only need to do this if the gears aren't actually changing correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

DBCyc wrote: »
    Yes he did say that the first service was free alright. The thing is that I have been busy cycling in my spare time so I never got round to dropping it in for a service after six weeks!

Thanks for the advice about the cables. How would I go about tightening them myself?

You should be able to still bring it in, the 6 weeks is a guideline.
    As its free it is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Thanks guys for the advice. I think ill get the first service done and then try to do the rest myself with the aid of internet advice or a bike maintenance book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is a handy site if you want to do it yourself:

http://bicycletutor.com/guide/

I have never had a bike "serviced", its not like a car where you need to get oil/filters changed. Just make sure and adjust anything that feels off ASAP rather than long fingering it would be my advice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement