Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!Taking Time off

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm hoping to start college this september in DIT but the thing is, I am supposed to be going away two weeks into my course. The trip was arranged as a surprise for me (so isn't really my fault!! :p) but I'll miss 6 days of actual college. Does anyone know if this will cause a big problem?...:confused:...I don't wanna look like a waster that doesn't show up to lectures but there's no way I can change my going away dates. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

no worries, i missed first month of first year grape picking...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll be fine, as long as you're there for induction etc and pay your fees - actually scratch the first point about induction - if you just pay your fees dit will love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

Really??... and there was no prob?... what course are you doing?:pac:

Ok pheew! :p bit of relief!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Sorry for the off topic question but is there any type of induction for students that are starting in the second year of their chosen course?

• Advertisement

keen wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic question but is there any type of induction for students that are starting in the second year of their chosen course?
    nope unless they invite you to the induction for the first years then no.

Cremo wrote: »
    nope unless they invite you to the induction for the first years then no.

How accomadating, won't have a clue where to go first day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just find the dept your in and go to office relevent and ask. simple as

just find the dept your in and go to office relevent and ask. simple as

If it's as "simple as" why is there an induction run for new students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

all colleges have induction, you get to meet some of your lecturers and also people that will be in your course. its not vital that you attend it but it def helps, ive been studying in 2 uni/colleges and i think it really helped

• Advertisement

because the majority of new students are coming from a very structure but spoon fed environment.

but since you're going into second year they'll expect not to have to spoon feed ya :D

Cremo wrote: »
    because the majority of new students are coming from a very structure but spoon fed environment.

but since you're going into second year they'll expect not to have to spoon feed ya :D

I'm not asking to be spoon fed, just a heads up to where the canteen is toliets etc. My point is that there is a purpose to the induction for new students. I'll have the same knowledge of the college as all first years starting regardless of what year I'm going into.
    all colleges have induction, you get to meet some of your lecturers and also people that will be in your course. its not vital that you attend it but it def helps, ive been studying in 2 uni/colleges and i think it really helped

Ah yeah there dead handy, if I was a first year I would defo attend for the reasons you have mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

original topic - a week's worth of lectures is nothing! a girl in my class got sick and missed a week or two at the start of the year and was grand. Just make sure you talk to all the lecturers and get notes when you get back, as you're a first year they'll be very accommodating.

to the new 2nd year - you're a big boy/girl now. you're not a baby! Find your building and there'll be loads of people milling around as it's the induction for first years anyway. Why not find the registration stand for the first year of your course and ask there what the story is? Chances are they'll be well able to point you exactly where you need to go. Don't you have to register anyway at the start of term for your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

keen, just go to 1st year induction. if you know anyone starting 1st year in DIT ask them what the details are. i'm sure they won't mind a tagalong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Just to further express how grand you are taking 6 days off, the CAO re-check kiddies might be joining your class about two weeks in, so there's obviously nothing tooooo vital in those first few days, so enjoy your holiday :)

Thanks for all your advice!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Dont worry about it... you will be fine

the only problem will be with any labs that you might have.. you will not be able to recoup the lost marks unless the u can talk with lectueres and rechedule them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

keen wrote: »

Heya Keen,

Contact your course administrator and find out if it would be helpful for you to go to the induction course first of all, there's no point going if its only going to be relevant to people who are in First Year.

If it would be helpful, ask if you can come, the course admin would be glad for you to come, its no skin off their nose, and some course admins automatically ask advanced entires to come along to inductions. Sometimes they even try to get someone from your class to come in and meet you and show you around so your not on your lonesome!

We don't have any sign up stalls or anything like that!!!

DIT inductions start the 15th of September for first years and then lectures start the following monday!

Advertisement