Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Tipp, Training for Sean Kelly 160

Options
  • 22-07-2008 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I just did the Trip to Tipp 200k which turned out to be 180k, and I did the Ring of Kerry 2 weeks ago. I really enjoyed both events as they were my first big events, started cycling in Jan. My times were 7hrs 12m for RoK and 6Hrs38min for Tipp. I didn't feel too bad after each one, I felt the pace on the tipp cycle was fast but managable. I really want to do the Sean Kelly 160 as I had planned on doing these three events in my first year, but I am worried about the climbs.
    Can anyone give me some training tips for the SK160, I know there is get out routes on the route but i'd rather do the 100K if ithought i wasn't able for the 160k. My time on weekday evenings is very limited, i'd be able to do 1.5 hrs every 2/3 days or so and I could get out for long spins on the weekend, should I jam in the hills as much as possible on the weekdays? Any other tips would be appreciated. I'm not to worried about pace just want to work on strength as I think I have enough endurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

With those two under your belt I reckon you would be OK for the 160 but I would start hitting the hills as much as possible. If you are in South Tipperary the Comeragh mountains are an obvious choice and come in to the Sean Kelly tour- try a few repeats on the Vee maybe :) (No seriously, do, the Vee is actually not that bad a climb at all.) The Tipperary side of the Vee has a much better road surface (and is much more attractive IMHO) too.

What gearing do you have out of interest? You know it's actually possible to make any climb managable - even easy - if you just take it slowly enough. Did the climbs up to Military Road and then on up to Sally Gap on Sunday with an average HR of under 100 bpm (peak HR on the climbs was 110!) That is not training advice BTW but just meant to indicate that if you start to blow up on the day, just slow down, take it easier and you will get over the climb.

Training I would try to do the climbs at a power that is comfortable and sustainable for you. Read some good advice linked by Raam here recently (Boards hill-climbing god) to break a climb into three, taking the first third easy, the middle third normal, and then really pushing yourself for only the last third, when the end is within reach.

Good luck and hope to see you there on the 24th!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

blorg wrote: »
    You know it's actually possible to make any climb managable - even easy - if you just take it slowly enough.

Pace yourself :) I am quite new at hilly cycles too, and I am starting to really enjoy it. Signed up for the 160, so trying to train on hills as much as I can. The second time was easier than the 1st, the 3rd easier than the 2nd. Not sure if I will be up for it on the 24th, but I can always do the 100 :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

blorg wrote: »
    What gearing do you have out of interest? You know it's actually possible to make any climb managable - even easy - if you just take it slowly enough. Did the climbs up to Military Road and then on up to Sally Gap on Sunday with an average HR of under 100 bpm (peak HR on the climbs was 110!) That is not training advice BTW but just meant to indicate that if you start to blow up on the day, just slow down, take it easier and you will get over the climb.

I don't know the route you're talking about but any climbing under 110 impresses the hell out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't know the route you're talking about but any climbing under 110 impresses the hell out of me!
    This is the climb- I was allowed a bit of a sprint up to the top of the second climb.

Sally_Gap_HR.png

You may be less impressed if I told you that I discovered that day that my speedo doesn't go below 3.9km/h :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

hence the pace line is missing from the graph! I would have fallen off long before 3.9 km/hr. I'm currently training for something so doing all my long cycles at 122-148 bpm. On the flat I get it hard to keep in the 130's but as soon as there is any bit of incline, I'm fighting to stay below 148.

• Advertisement
Advertisement