Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB problem

Options
  • 22-07-2008 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys my housemate is moving out. Iam taking over the ESB bill. Do NOT want a direct debit, want to change name on account to mine, and ESB are looking for a €300 deposit which they will keep for 14 months!!!!and you only get it back if all bills are paid in full and on time, now all bills are all paid in full and on time in our house but surely I am within my rights to have a bill just sent to the house to pay in post office?? Others have told me they never had to pay this deposit. The guy told me its because I haven't had an account with ESB before but the girl who I am taking over the bill from didn't have to pay the 300 euro when she took over the bill. What do i do?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you haven't had an ESB account before you have to do this, it sucks big time, I had to sign up for DD as I couldn't afford the 300e deposit after recently moving into my new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hey guys my housemate is moving out. Iam taking over the ESB bill. Do NOT want a direct debit, want to change name on account to mine, and ESB are looking for a €300 deposit which they will keep for 14 months!!!!and you only get it back if all bills are paid in full and on time, now all bills are all paid in full and on time in our house but surely I am within my rights to have a bill just sent to the house to pay in post office?? Others have told me they never had to pay this deposit. The guy told me its because I haven't had an account with ESB before but the girl who I am taking over the bill from didn't have to pay the 300 euro when she took over the bill. What do i do?

Are you sure about this? So if you pay one bill late over 14 months they keep your 300 quid? That doesn't sound right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you could always set up the direct debit and cancel it after a month and pay through the post office? they always ask for the deposit if you pay by cheque or in the post office as it encourages people to pay by DD and also provides some security to them if you default on payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Just don't pay it. The ESB are obliged to supply you with electricity unless you haven't paid your bills and can't refuse to connect you for not paying a deposit. The €300 might appear on the bills for a while but it will eventually go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you could always set up the direct debit and cancel it after a month and pay through the post office? they always ask for the deposit if you pay by cheque or in the post office as it encourages people to pay by DD and also provides some security to them if you default on payment

If a DD in lieu of a deposit is cancelled then they will request a deposit payment - even add it to a future bill if necessary - and can disconnect for breach of Credit terms if it's not paid.
    Why not just pay by DD. It's very handy.
    The bond is not lost if all bills are not paid on time - only if you owe money.
    Indemnity Deposits have been around for utilities for decades - particualrly for rented accomodation where customers can scarper without paying the final bills.

• Advertisement

the E.S.B. messed up my Direct Debit this month, they blamed the Bank, and i have decided to pay in the post office for a while untill the mess is sorted out but there was no mention of any deposit and i have only been a customer for 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

This was a new thing brought in by the esb about 2 years ago for new accounts. I suspect they were getting caught out on a lot of short term accounts or something. Plus it's a way of getting lots of people to sign up for direct debits and reducing arrears etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

just dont change the name on the bill, if hes paying by direct debit just get him to cancel that and pay in the PO .
    the name on the bill doesnt matter as long as its paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

chuckles30 wrote: »
    This was a new thing brought in by the esb about 2 years ago for new accounts. I suspect they were getting caught out on a lot of short term accounts or something. Plus it's a way of getting lots of people to sign up for direct debits and reducing arrears etc.

2 Years ago ?

It was the same story when i signed up back in 2001.

craichoe wrote: »
    2 Years ago ?

It was the same story when i signed up back in 2001.

It was in place 30 years ago (£70 at the time).

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    just dont change the name on the bill, if hes paying by direct debit just get him to cancel that and pay in the PO .
    the name on the bill doesnt matter as long as its paid.

Not a good idea, if there ends up being a large unpaid bill down the line with his name on it.

cant see there being a problem, any landlord worth his salt will ensure that the esb is paid before they release the deposit.

cant see there being a problem, any landlord worth his salt will ensure that the esb is paid before they release the deposit.

I thought the Account was in the Housemate's name not that of the Landlord!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Landlords or their agents also hold tenants' deposits.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Landlords or their agents also hold tenants' deposits.

I know that, but the OP said the Electricity account was in his Housemates name so the landlord will have no interest in it being paid or not.

its in the landlords interests to make sure its paid as if a tenant does a runner it will be up to the owner to sort it out in the end.

its in the landlords interests to make sure its paid as if a tenant does a runner it will be up to the owner to sort it out in the end.

Gf had a problem before when she moved out of a shared house. Phone was supposed to have been transferred out of her name, a year or so later she tried to transfer phone into her name at new address, Eircom said she had a large outstanding bill. We had to go back to the old house and luckily they were sound enough and paid it off and someone there transferred it into their name, but it could have got awkward if they wanted it to.

Don't see how its down to the landlord if someone does a runner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MOH wrote: »
    Gf had a problem before when she moved out of a shared house. Phone was supposed to have been transferred out of her name, a year or so later she tried to transfer phone into her name at new address, Eircom said she had a large outstanding bill. We had to go back to the old house and luckily they were sound enough and paid it off and someone there transferred it into their name, but it could have got awkward if they wanted it to.

Don't see how its down to the landlord if someone does a runner.

so if I move into a house and want to get ESB acti8vated and I'm told there's a previous outstanding amount your saying thats my problem and not the landlords?

Complete nonsense! The landlord is not party to any contract for the supply of electricity and cannot be held liable for outstanding accounts anymore than the new tenant is. The landlord has not responsibility to sort anything out and would not even be contacted by ESB (in deed they can't even discuss it with him) as that is in breach of the data protection act.

Srameen if a tenant is bad enough to leave without paying the esb bill , they will no doubt not have left a forwarding address.
    So on non payment the esb will cut off the power.
    The landlord will find it hard to rent a house that has no electricity and will therefore have to sort it out.
    while he would not legally be liable for the bill he will have to sort it out.

• Advertisement

Complete nonsense! The landlord is not party to any contract for the supply of electricity and cannot be held liable for outstanding accounts anymore than the new tenant is. The landlord has not responsibility to sort anything out and would not even be contacted by ESB (in deed they can't even discuss it with him) as that is in breach of the data protection act.

The landlord, property-agent, or the next tenant would find out that there was no power as soon as they entered the rental. Whilst everyone argues over who is going to pay up, there is no power. If the landlord needs the rent to pay his mortgage, then he will usually cut his losses and reluctantly pay the bill. If he's still got the previous tenant's deposit, he will use that. When it is resolved, and it's either paid to, or written off by the ESB, it would be prudent for the latter to insist on a security deposit from the next tenant.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The landlord, property-agent, or the next tenant would find out that there was no power as soon as they entered the rental. Whilst everyone argues over who is going to pay up, there is no power. If the landlord needs the rent to pay his mortgage, then he will usually cut his losses and reluctantly pay the bill. If he's still got the previous tenant's deposit, he will use that. When it is resolved, and it's either paid to, or written off by the ESB, it would be prudent for the latter to insist on a security deposit from the next tenant.

Are you saying that this landlord would not know about the disconnected supply until he took a prospective tenant in to view the property? I can assure you that the landlord has only to apply for re-connection in his own if need be prior to re-renting the property. The monies owed by the previous tenant will have no impact on the transaction. Unless the landlord has the final bill of the previous tenant he can't pay it even if he was foolosh enough to want to do so. There's no debate here I've worked in ESB Income/Accounts Receivable for over 30 years.

Are you saying that this landlord would not know about the disconnected supply until he took a prospective tenant in to view the property? I can assure you that the landlord has only to apply for re-connection in his own if need be prior to re-renting the property. The monies owed by the previous tenant will have no impact on the transaction. Unless the landlord has the final bill of the previous tenant he can't pay it even if he was foolosh enough to want to do so. There's no debate here I've worked in ESB Income/Accounts Receivable for over 30 years.

I think that it is plainly obvious that you have ESB connections (excuse the pun).:D

I know that, when the power has been cut off, due to a non-paying tenant, there is an initial period of confusion, which, until sorted, leaves a property with no power. I've dealt with property management companies who only find out that the power's off when a new tenant moves in. The tenant usually contacts the ESB, who firstly assume that he is the bill-payer, then ask him to pay up to get re-connected. The tenant then contacts the property-management company to tell them what the situation is. Unfortunately, depending on the particular circumstances, it might take a few days for things to sort themselves out, so the new tenant is a victim in the midst of chaos. I've know some land-lords who have paid an ESB bill that isn't in their name, although as you say, they needn't have done so.

do the esb not have the property owner as the person who is ultimately responsible and pays the final amount? i thought it worked that the tenant would get the bill but as landlord/owner of the property the owner would also get a copy bill or at least warnings of any arrears?

Cabaal wrote: »
    so if I move into a house and want to get ESB acti8vated and I'm told there's a previous outstanding amount your saying thats my problem and not the landlords?

There's been threads on here before on this very issue a number of times.

do the esb not have the property owner as the person who is ultimately responsible and pays the final amount? i thought it worked that the tenant would get the bill but as landlord/owner of the property the owner would also get a copy bill or at least warnings of any arrears?

Why would the ESB send the landlord a copy of the bill? How would they even know there is a landlord, and who it is?

Originally Posted by Cabaal
    It's not your problem if you were not the previous registered customer. If it that cusomers probl;em and a Final Account will issue to them. Nothing to do with you if you are just a new custoemr taking over a premises as a Change of Tenant rather than just a Change of Name.
    The property owner is responsible if he is the Registered customer. If you are the registered customer who signed the contract with ESB then under Data Protection your landlord should not see the account or bills.

Advertisement